An American view.

Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An American view.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm intrigued to know the rationale for the OP choosing Dawlish in the first place. Upper West Side to a British seaside resort is certainly a huge step, especially in later life.
I'm quite fond of Dawlish and have spent many an enjoyable weekend there.

I'm tempted to look up the word 'resort' in this context though, because it just doesn't seem right. Resort is a word I'd use for somewhere like Weymouth or Bournemouth. Even Lyme Regis.

Dawlish is a bit like a Bourton-on-the-water that happens to be by the sea. I mean that in a nice way.

Resort - a place that is a popular destination for vacations or recreation, or which is frequented for a particular purpose. "a seaside resort"

Doesn't say how many it has to be popular with

Last edited by BristolUK; Sep 17th 2014 at 10:04 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London1947
DONE WITH BE !
Fair enough, but best to just stop posting then and unsubscribe from the thread if you're still receiving notifications for it.

Best of luck to you and your wife, I hope you can manage a move to somewhere nicer soon, whether that's in the UK or US.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm quite fond of Dawlish and have spent many an enjoyable weekend there.

I'm tempted to look up the word 'resort' in this context though, because it just doesn't seem right. Resort is a word I'd use for somewhere like Weymouth or Bournemouth. Even Lyme Regis.

Dawlish is a bit like a Bourton-on-the-water that happens to be by the sea. I mean that in a nice way.

Resort - a place that is a popular destination for vacations or recreation, or which is frequented for a particular purpose. "a seaside resort"

Doesn't say how many it has to be popular with
Well a google search will pull up many pages calling it a resort (and many more for next door Dawlish Warren).

I like Dawlish too, but probably as a place to spend "an enjoyable weekend", rather than a place to live.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

DONE WITH BE !
OK, no need to shout! I apologise for trying to be friendly
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I had joined BE originally because it seemed to be a great place to get information and to air one's opinions and hopefully make some friends and contacts.
Regards
John
Morning from New Zealand John.

BE still is a great place to find info and to connect with others, so I would encourage you to stick around, even if it is to just chat with those you connect with.

It would be a huge shame for you both to kick BE into touch because you & a couple of posters butt heads , when there are several posters out there that you do connect with . There are also some who are encouraging you to enter into a more meaningful chat.

Do you get what I mean?

I woke at 4.30 a.m. ( I have discovered this happens the older I get ) & you both popped into my mind straight away.

I actually don't like to think of you both being so unhappy. Life is far too short. You should be enjoying your day to day lives in your new place of residence. Thing is, it doesn't always turn out like that does it, as many of us know .

I would agree with Dunrovin' , Bob and some of the others that being in a miserable place does distort one's view of the place around you. It's a wisdom that comes from experience.

So. Clasp the outstretched hands being offered to you by many in this thread and use that to connect .

As is often said, we don't walk in each other's shoes do we.

...and something that may help. You may not realise but you can put those that irk you on 'ignore' so you don't have to read their posts.

PM me if you need help with this.

BEVS - 1954

Last edited by BEVS; Sep 17th 2014 at 10:35 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

London1947,

I hope you will be back on BE at some point, I know its hard to just ignore or laugh things off when you are feeling down and stressed but my experience on BE is that it is a very helpful and supportive board, there are sometimes misunderstandings and dust ups and some personalities just clash but it is a great resource with wonderful people.

Take a break and maybe come back in a few days when all of this will feel like a storm in a teacup. We might be a good sounding board when you are figuring out what you can do to make your situation a happier one.

Good luck and I hope things will soon get better for you and Mrs London1947
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Morning from New Zealand John.

BE still is a great place to find info and to connect with others, so I would encourage you to stick around, even if it is to just chat with those you connect with.

It would be a huge shame for you both to kick BE into touch because you & a couple of posters butt heads , when there are several posters out there that you do connect with . There are also some who are encouraging you to enter into a more meaningful chat.

Do you get what I mean?

I woke at 4.30 a.m. ( I have discovered this happens the older I get ) & you both popped into my mind straight away.

I actually don't like to think of you both being so unhappy. Life is far too short. You should be enjoying your day to day lives in your new place of residence. Thing is, it doesn't always turn out like that does it, as many of us know .

I would agree with Dunrovin' , Bob and some of the others that being in a miserable place does distort one's view of the place around you. It's a wisdom that comes from experience.

So. Clasp the outstretched hands being offered to you by many in this thread and use that to connect .

As is often said, we don't walk in each other's shoes do we.

...and something that may help. You may not realise but you can put those that irk you on 'ignore' so you don't have to read their posts.

PM me if you need help with this.

BEVS - 1954
Beautifully said!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

DONE WITH BE !
In that case I will close this thread.