Spain
France
Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Greece
Cyprus
Gibraltar - Awful place, should belong to Spain
Spain - Full of drunk british chavs and british mafia (Costa del Street Crime)
France - We all know what they think of Brits
Germany - Why?
Denmark - Only if you speak Danish
Sweden - Only if you speak Swedish (and you need a residence permit for over 3months of stay)
Greece - Yes, for the Air quality
Cyprus - Ayia Napa, Ayia Napa (just put you raving shoes on)
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:12 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Originally Posted by hockeyhairdo
Gibraltar - Awful place, should belong to Spain
Spain - Full of drunk british chavs and british mafia (Costa del Street Crime)
France - We all know what they think of Brits
Germany - Why?
Denmark - Only if you speak Danish
Sweden - Only if you speak Swedish (and you need a residence permit for over 3months of stay)
Greece - Yes, for the Air quality
Cyprus - Ayia Napa, Ayia Napa (just put you raving shoes on)
Gibralter- Yer its a dump
Spain- British mafia??? Don`t you mean Russian?
France - Not great unless you speak French
Germany- Not a great location for Brits
Denmark - They all speak English
Sweden - They all speak English
Greece - Too hot
Cyprus - Never been there
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

This might help

http://euimmigration.org/eu_passport.html

its looks complicated and I think there will always be "bloody forms"

:-(

EU Passport

Myth I: It is a common misperception to believe that there is an "EU Passport" which cover all EU member countries. An "EU Passport" is only a term used to describe a passport from any EU country and does not exists in reality. Any citizen from any EU member country have same rights to travel visa free within EU / Schengen and to work in any EU country of their choice.

Myth II: Being and "EU citizen" and "EU resident" is the same. This is not the case. An EU citizen is an individual who has a passport from one of the EU countries. An EU resident can be an individual who has obtained the right to work and live in one of the EU countries, but who still holds the citizenship of his or her home country.

In order for an individual to take advantage of all the benefits of EU, he or she would want to become a citizen of any EU country by obtaining a second passport. The process of obtaining citizenship with an EU country is a formal process. Individuals most frequently obtain a second citizenship, also called "Dual Nationality", based upon family relationships, marriage, or investment. However, obtaining legal residency through work or studying can also make the citizenship process easier at a later stage. The advantage is that you are residing in the country you want to live in.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 6:56 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Gambia.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Stratton is an unknown quantity at this point

But Islam is always lurking at the end of the road. And race. I know. I lived there for seven good years.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 5:57 am
Just Joined

Stratton is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=paddythepilot;1659291]Seriously, going back to this 'Malaysia My Second Home', don't discount this scheme.
I have looked at this closely & what with currently living in Hong Kong, Malaysia is just down the road for me!

AND Islam is just down the road too.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 2:27 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
St Helena....

Out in the middle of no where, but they do have tele, a mate was from there, there's a couple on the island apparantly....
And it's got the French connection he was after - well Napolean died there.

I saw a documentry featuring Niue a while ago, they are apparently crying out for people to immigrate as most of their young population leave for NZ as soon as they are able. Not sure about the 'forms & red tape' requirement you have though.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:32 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Akatomw,

Although I don't think anyone should just be aloud to move to another just because they are English without no checks , St Lucia definately does encourage international investors and welcomes expats.
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:36 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Akatomw,

Although I don't think anyone should just be aloud to move to another country just because they are English without any checks , St Lucia definately does encourage international investors and welcomes expats.
The island has been through a massive upgrade which is specifically designed with expats and tourist in mind.
Old Oct 23rd 2008, 9:41 am
Just Joined

Spongebob80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep reading about Malaysia, seems an intriguing prospect but isn't it technically a program for people with bundles of money?
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Daniel_Dravot is an unknown quantity at this point

EU
Old Oct 24th 2008, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Daniel_Dravot
EU
Where in the EU ?
Old Oct 30th 2008, 5:42 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
I believe there is a population problem (too few people) on Pitcairn;-)
Relatively speaking....

coat!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 7:09 am
Just Joined

aidanx is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

wow 9 pages! good goin people! thanks for all the info.

i have been trying to find a concise list of countries that i can live in as a british citizen, especially somewhere that i can have *complete* citizen*s rights based on my british citizenship.

basically, i want to buy some land somewhere remote, sunny, and cheap. you know, the dream

although a lot of these places have been listed in this forum already, i thought i would contribute this list i have gathered.

the first list is of commonwealth countries.
you all probably know that British citizens are Commonwealth citizens.
commonwealth does mean *something* but the meaning is a little vague, and is more of a peaceful intention than a solid agreement, and the rules vary between countries.
wikipedia says:
** Each country is free to determine what special rights, if any, are accorded to non-nationals who are Commonwealth citizens. **
so, it does not neccacarily mean you can live there, and it doesnt mean that there isnt any paperwork involved. (as a brit who has moved to canada, i know first hand that there were lots of hoops to jump through).
BUT... i was thinking (please correct me if im wrong) that emigrating to a commonwealth country would usually be easier than a non-commonwealth country.

anyway, here is the list of commonwealth countries:

COMMONWEALTH COUNTRIES
Barbuda Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Maldives
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Swaziland
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia
for more info on this list, go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...lth_of_Nations

but the next list is more interesting, because it is more based on actual rules.
The following *Commonwealth countries allow Commonwealth citizens voting and eligibility rights at all levels*:

COMMONWEALTH with CITIZENSHIP RIGHTS LIST
Antigua and Barbuda,
Barbados,
Belize,
Dominica,
Grenada,
Guyana,
Jamaica,
Malawi (all foreign residents, not only Commonwealth citizens),
Mauritius,
Namibia (all foreign residents, not only Commonwealth citizens),
New Zealand (all foreign residents, before 1975 only Commonwealth citizens),
Saint Kitts and Nevis,
Saint Lucia,
Saint Vincent
Grenadines.
i got this info from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_citizen

The next list i made is based on the chart on wikipedia that refers to where you can go with a british passport which can be found at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport
a visa is : *an indication that a person is authorized to enter the country which "issued" the visa, subject to permission of an immigration official at the time of actual entry*
im not sure if *visa free access* means anything as far as moving to a country. i think it just means that you dont need a visa to visit the country.
anyway this is a list of countries that you can go to with a british passport without a visa.

VISA FREE ACCESS
reunion (island east of africa)
saint-helena (island in south atlantic)
falkland islands
Jamaica
trinidad and tobago
guernsey
kiribati

The next list is based on the same chart about british passports on wikipedia.
i assume that *unlimited access* means that you can live there. i think this will be my main reference list when looking for a place. although i guess it would be wise to find out with each country what *unlimited access* means for each place before i go and buy something there.

UNLIMITED ACCESS
French Guiana
guadaloupe
martinique
eu:---------(
austria
belgium
bulgaria
cyprus
czeck republic
denmark
estonia
finland
france
germany
gibraltar (who have the right to abode in the UK)
greece
hungary
ireland
italy
latvia
lithuania
luxembourg
malta
netherlands
portugal
romania
slovakia
slovenia
spain
sweeden
uk
)---------e.u
iceland
isle of man (live: unlimited access, work permit required)
jersey
norway
switzerland

Sorry that i took up so much space, but i wanted to share this. hope it is helpful. Id appreciate any feedback, especially if i have gotten something wrong.

i have made a seperate thread on this site especially for these lists which i will add this to. i think its called *where can i live with british citizenship?* in the *everywhere else* forum. i encourage people to copy and paste it on that thread, if they have something to add so that the list can keep growing and distilling as a continually updated reference.

CHEERS!
Old Feb 13th 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

I am not sure about the whole Commonwealth angle.

The issue is to avoid the paper work by trying to relocate to somewhere that considers a British Passport, part of the EU thus entitling the holder to reside and or/work (work is not a concern if you are retired) in that country without forms or a formal application process. (does that place exist?) BES in the Dutch Antilles may be interesting.

The other thing to consider is the Tax Haven status of the country, if you are interested in retiring there.

This is a handy web site for EU residency and Citizenship issues:

http://www.euimmigration.org/

Overview: The European Union (EU) consists of 27 individual countries, which entitles all citizens to live, travel and work in the country of their choice. Citizens can freely travel, work, retire, or just vacate without any problems in any EU country. The European Union provides individuals and families with choices that other individual countries around the world cannot offer. The "Single Market" that was created in 1993 states that people, money, services, and good can move freely within the European Union. Currently over 450 million EU citizens are provided with these options.

Opportunities: The 27 EU countries have different immigration programs in terms of foreign work programs, ways to obtain citizenship, unemployment rates, inheritance of citizenship, and other official immigration programs which allows individuals to live in one or several EU countries. Some immigration programs can end with a citizenship while other programs are time limited and related to work or tourism. The advantage of citizenship in an EU country is that the laws and regulations of the EU is applicable to any country that you decide to live and work in.

EU Citizenship: The Treaty of Maastricht states that

Every person holding the nationality of a Member State of the European Union
is, as a result, a citizen of the Union. Citizenship of the Union supplements
national citizenship without replacing it. It is made up of a set of fundamental
rights and obligations enshrined in the EC Treaty among which it is worth
underlining the right not to be discriminated on the basis of the nationality.

This means that an individual who becomes a citizen of any EU country automatically is granted EU citizenship. EU citizenship is not a separate "national" citizenship, but is related to the individual's rights in any of the 27 EU countries. For example, a citizen of Poland has the right to move to Spain and work/retire legally.

Citizenship vs. Residency: There is a fundamental difference between becoming a citizen and a resident of any EU country. Citizenship is normally obtained through birth, marriage, long-term residency and family relations. Only citizens can obtain a passport. A resident with the legal right to live and work in an EU country holds a foreign citizenship and passport. However, different countries have different rules and regulations for how long an individual can be a resident before it is possible to apply for citizenship. A resident that gets married to a citizen can apply for citizenship. Dealing with foreign governments in a different language is not always easy, which is why our "EU Immigration Guide" provides you with simple and plain information in English.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.