British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Rest of the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/)
-   -   I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rest-world-62/i-am-english-so-where-can-i-live-without-all-bloody-forms-242288/)

alkristensen Jul 15th 2004 1:07 pm

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

hi

i am in the process of applying to live in australia, but will probably fail on the fact that i have 2 drink driving convictions, so does anyone know of an english speaking place in the world that is warm and by the ocean where you dont need a visa or at least all the bloody checks to live(unlike america and australia), I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other that is half french halfr brit where you just need a brit passport and a few other bits and bats to gain residency or at least work and live.
Its in the caribbean somewhere, but i cant remember what it6s called if anyone knows it would be a great help.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

any names or help wouold be mjuch appreciated after i have spent nearly 4 grand on maybe failiong trhe oz visa.

alk

Manc Jul 15th 2004 1:19 pm

Bermuda.
Gibralter.
Spain
France
Germany
Denmark
Sweden
Greece
Cyprus

joto Jul 15th 2004 1:23 pm

Could be St Barts in the carribean or St Lucia. I believe they were under British rule or protectorate at some time in the past. Could also try Barbados as it still has a British presence there. Don't know how they might view your DUI convictions though.

Tone Jul 15th 2004 2:20 pm

Try Ascension Island

Manc Jul 15th 2004 2:25 pm

Falklands

Tone Jul 15th 2004 2:44 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
Falklands
B. warm climate ??????

Tone Jul 15th 2004 3:02 pm

Guantanamo Bay is nice this time of year and accomodation is cheap

Manc Jul 15th 2004 4:17 pm

Originally posted by Tone
B. warm climate ??????
granted.

Trinstan De Cuna is quite nice, or so I've heard.

Tone Jul 15th 2004 4:58 pm

Pack your bags now, Diego Garcia awaits you with open arms

Chopper-Chris Jul 15th 2004 7:10 pm

Originally posted by joto
Could be St Barts in the carribean or St Lucia. I believe they were under British rule or protectorate at some time in the past. Could also try Barbados as it still has a British presence there. Don't know how they might view your DUI convictions though.
You have no hope of St Lucia, Barbados, St Thomas, St Kitts, St Barts, British (or American) Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Trinidad and Tobago...in fact, you have no hope of any Caribbean Island so drop the dream now before you waste anymore time...

I know I sound brutal but honestly, Barbados and Co. are getting very sick of the tourist crowd enjoying their 2 week holiday at Sandals or Club Med so much that they think they can buy a place to live, turn up and get a job.

Why don't you consider a job on a cruise ship or with a holiday company, the pay is better than it used to be and you'll get to see the world and decide where it is that you really want to be, rather than 'anywhere except the UK'

Alternatively, if you are determined to go to the Caribbean, you could fly out there, get a place to live and a start working for cash in hand, on the vast majority of islands you should find something but don't expect to actually get paid for your work (and there's no comeback if you don't) if you do get paid, then don't expect more than a pittance for your hard labor. You may find it very difficult to integrate into society there too, locals are very wary of the new guy, especially if you have no job and are wondering around looking for a place to live (and who can blame them huh)

One thing is for sure, if you do go to the Caribbean, it'll be hot and by the ocean...and especially if its St Lucia, the police take so long at even getting around to a police report for the Canadian immigration service, you can guarantee they'll never bother to come looking for you....but if they do...you don't want to be stuck in a St Lucian Jail!!!

Manc Jul 15th 2004 7:50 pm

you can live in Bermuda as it is a protectorate of Britain I believe. I've looked into moving there as it is a world center for the Re-Insurance business.

It is WELL expensive.

Chopper-Chris Jul 15th 2004 7:52 pm

you can live in Bermuda as it is a protectorate of Britain I believe. I've looked into moving there as it is a world center for the Re-Insurance business.

It is WELL expensive.

please tell me more, I was told that I basically had to be invited to live there.

no information online for moving there either.

I'd love to go though.!

Manc Jul 15th 2004 7:56 pm

A friend of mine in Canada, his brother works there. Says his disposable income is no better than when he lived in London.

It is very hoity toity by all accounts.

that's all I know.

I am not 100% sure on the moving there with no work permit, I maybe getting Bermuda mixed up with the Bahama's (which is a hole anyhow)

a very quick google prooves me wrong on immigration once more

Britons and European Economic Community (EEC) citizens do not have any of the same rights to live, be domiciled, be employed and retire here as they do in the United Kingdom or EEC.

Lion in Winter Jul 15th 2004 9:48 pm

A friend of mine in Canada, his brother works there. Says his disposable income is no better than when he lived in London.

And you have to wear those funny shorts - major drawback.

elfintrot Jul 16th 2004 1:26 am

Try Malaysia
Malaysia my second home is a govt programme that encourages foriegners to come and live here.. only draw back u need monthly income from ur overseas sources.
Great weather, great food, nice people and we speak manglish(u will understand the malay english mix)