Reload this Page >

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Old May 23rd 2009, 10:36 am
Just Joined

crowbar93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am english, so where can i live without all the bloody forms

Cool thread.

I’m in a similar situation as the original poster, basically me and my dad just want to move somewhere where it’s warm and cheap and we don’t have to deal with the government. No criminals, just tired of all the rubbish.

My dad just went into early retirement, I’m an unemployed/freelance/small-home-office-style-self-employed writer/designer/translator/part-time-teacher university dropout in my mid-thirties. The idea is to survive on my dad’s just-over-€500/$700/£450 per month pension, which will probably go up by around €125/$170/£110 in three years, and interest on the part of the ~ €80,000/$108,000/£72,000 we’ll have over after selling our current house. Any earnings on my part would be a bonus, but I don’t want to work for anybody ever again, I’d just be doing my own thing from home, maybe run a little shop on the side.

Now, originally, we’d been looking at Goa as a destination. That was before reading what people have been saying about it here and elsewhere. Pity, really.

Thing is, it has to be warm and cheap, primarily. It also should be by the sea. Doesn’t have to be large — the smaller, the better, actually. One bedroom bungalow or so would do nicely. Can even be a derelict dump, we’ll just do it up in that case.

So, reading this thread has brought the following into consideration:

- Belize
- French Overseas Territories

We’d also been looking at:

- Balkan coast
- Abkhazia
- Vietnam
- Morocco
- Libya

Is it correct that anyone with an EU passport can just move to the French Overseas Territories? This thread would seem to suggest it, but I always thought you had to be French. Then again, I also thought Belize was a lawless country run by the drug trade.

Anyway, suggestions and advice would be much appreciated, cheers.
Old May 23rd 2009, 10:51 am
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crowbar93
Cool thread.

I’m in a similar situation as the original poster, basically me and my dad just want to move somewhere where it’s warm and cheap and we don’t have to deal with the government. No criminals, just tired of all the rubbish.

My dad just went into early retirement, I’m an unemployed/freelance/small-home-office-style-self-employed writer/designer/translator/part-time-teacher university dropout in my mid-thirties. The idea is to survive on my dad’s just-over-€500/$700/£450 per month pension, which will probably go up by around €125/$170/£110 in three years, and interest on the part of the ~ €80,000/$108,000/£72,000 we’ll have over after selling our current house. Any earnings on my part would be a bonus, but I don’t want to work for anybody ever again, I’d just be doing my own thing from home, maybe run a little shop on the side.

Now, originally, we’d been looking at Goa as a destination. That was before reading what people have been saying about it here and elsewhere. Pity, really.

Thing is, it has to be warm and cheap, primarily. It also should be by the sea. Doesn’t have to be large — the smaller, the better, actually. One bedroom bungalow or so would do nicely. Can even be a derelict dump, we’ll just do it up in that case.

So, reading this thread has brought the following into consideration:

- Belize
- French Overseas Territories

We’d also been looking at:

- Balkan coast
- Abkhazia
- Vietnam
- Morocco
- Libya Your kidding right? Although my aunt loved going there to holiday, not sure about live?

Is it correct that anyone with an EU passport can just move to the French Overseas Territories? This thread would seem to suggest it, but I always thought you had to be French. Then again, I also thought Belize was a lawless country run by the drug trade.

Anyway, suggestions and advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

Well I think you should add Indonesia to that list. You may regret going to isolated because it can be one of those things people 'imagine' to be bliss but it's often the reason they then leave...

Last edited by S E A N; May 23rd 2009 at 10:55 am.
Old May 23rd 2009, 3:32 pm
never settled

S E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to allS E A N is a name known to all

Well after reading some interesting posts people have made about Libya I've found out it's a really nice place, I wan't to go there now hehe
Old May 25th 2009, 5:55 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

If it's worth anything to you, I got this far in your post and thought 'Belize'.

Then I read down a couple more lines. You might be on to something, but DO take an extended visit there first, please.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:50 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this thread is still going on !!!!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice

We lived in Belize long before it was a tourist destination which I believe it is these days.... They have quite high levels of crime and a big drug problem. Very laid back though, if that's what you want. Hot, humid, lots of mosquitoes... I would also recommend a long visit before deciding!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Brunettebunny is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
you can live in Bermuda as it is a protectorate of Britain I believe. I've looked into moving there as it is a world center for the Re-Insurance business.

It is WELL expensive.
Forget it, I live here and work for a law firm.......if you have convictions....big fat no. Sorry!
Old Jun 30th 2009, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

bermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nicebermudaby is just really nice

I used to live in Bermuda and my daughter is there. I visit regularly and it is v. expensive! Also small and fairly boring unless you do a lot of sport plus the weather's not great in the winter....
Old Jun 30th 2009, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bermudaby
I used to live in Bermuda and my daughter is there. I visit regularly and it is v. expensive! Also small and fairly boring unless you do a lot of sport plus the weather's not great in the winter....

hahahaah!! Yes welcome to my world!! Everyone thinks everywhere else is soooo expensive in the world....try coming here - NOWHERE IS EXPENSIVE AFTER HERE!
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

IT_M0nk3y is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brunettebunny
Forget it, I live here and work for a law firm.......if you have convictions....big fat no. Sorry!
Is the winter weather anything like as bad as people say it is, or is it still a whole lot better than cold damp blighty?

If so then I have worked in IT for twelve years and for a law firm for the last six, does your firm need any IT staff?
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by IT_M0nk3y
Is the winter weather anything like as bad as people say it is, or is it still a whole lot better than cold damp blighty?

If so then I have worked in IT for twelve years and for a law firm for the last six, does your firm need any IT staff?
Not really - our winter is in Jan and Feb and it drops to about 50F. If you think that is cold, then don't come here!!! Its nothing like the UK whatsoever in terms of weather. The contrast between the warm summer months is big though, which makes it seem colder. But no, to be honest, sometimes I quite like the respite of the two months of cold.

Your best bet is to find an agency - there are plenty that recruit for Bermuda - just look on line. Most companies won't entertain direct expat contact...preferring agencies. Let me know if you want any more info.

Good luck!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 11:23 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep telling you - go to Gambia.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Leeb65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool thread.

The problem is in england you can get a criminal record for not paying a bus ticket and other silly reasons. I cannot imagine that a country would turn you down for that. But for more serious offences like drugs, etc... you cannot blame them.

Good luck anyway.
Old Dec 24th 2009, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

akatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really niceakatomw is just really nice

Originally Posted by bermudaby
We lived in Belize long before it was a tourist destination which I believe it is these days.... They have quite high levels of crime and a big drug problem. Very laid back though, if that's what you want. Hot, humid, lots of mosquitoes... I would also recommend a long visit before deciding!
Yes I have considered Belize as well, but I have never visited the place so I have no real frame of reference.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all those who still follow this thread..
Old Jan 5th 2010, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
hi

i am in the process of applying to live in australia, but will probably fail on the fact that i have 2 drink driving convictions, so does anyone know of an english speaking place in the world that is warm and by the ocean where you dont need a visa or at least all the bloody checks to live(unlike america and australia), I dont care if its an island or a continent, and have heard of a SAINT something or other that is half french halfr brit where you just need a brit passport and a few other bits and bats to gain residency or at least work and live.
Its in the caribbean somewhere, but i cant remember what it6s called if anyone knows it would be a great help.

But more importantly is there anywhere out there that meets my criteria of
A. english speaking
B.warm climate.
C:by the sea
D: nowhere in the uk

any names or help wouold be mjuch appreciated after i have spent nearly 4 grand on maybe failiong trhe oz visa.

alk
Just thought I`d `bump` this 6 1/2 year old post as its a good one,things will also changed since 2004,many posters here are dreamers but some of us do it,I`m a UK passport holder and Ive lived in Spain for 6 years and now have itchy feet , for me I`d want the following.

No excessive red tape for residency.

Safe for familys/good medial care

Near the sea.

Not overpopulated ie Gib

Warm climate ,Southern Spain is not warm for nearly 5 months a year!!!

Possibilty of running own business ie good infrastruture.

Cheap living? not always a good thing as it generally means everyone is skint so its a third world country , ie Spain

Languages English, French or Spanish

So where meets this criteria?

Rgds

Rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.