Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Old Apr 18th 2015, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

William3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Originally Posted by Sola1
Hi,
What is this GNIB stamp you are talking about? Not too sure what it stands for! Some info on that would be good.

Thanks 😊
The imigration rubber stamp the put in the passport are numbered, and the imigration registration card they give in conjunction with it is called GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau, were Garda is the Irish police force)

The official web site describing the main stamps are:
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Stamps - Main Immigration

The following also mentions the lesser used ones:
Metro Eireann
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

What is this GNIB stamp you are talking about?
My replys with links seems to have been held for apporval.

Anyway the answer with out links.

The imigration stamp that is put on passports are numbered 0 to 6, and are accompanied by a plastic card "GNIB certificate of registration". GNIB stands for Garda National Immigration Bureau (Garda is the police force in Ireland). If you look "The Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service" website it will give you the list of the various types.

I'm a dual British / Irish citizen, using my Irish passport and wedding certificate my wife got here resience (stamp 4 (includes right to work, for 5* years) the same day she applied (4 hours queueing to be seen, and about 20 minues to get it processed and issued). It may take longer for spouses of UK citizens, however they may issue you a tempory card while they process your application.

In Ireland you need to give three months notice of intention to get married. Normally both of you have to attend together, however if you ring the Civil Registration Service directly they may be able to advise you as to your options.

In our case we gave our notice of intention in Dublin and got married in Cork. It was hard to get dates in Dublin to get married in the registry office, but no problem in Cork. BTW if you get married in a church they will also carry out the civil registration.

* A friend of ours had previously been late renewing her GNIB card as a student, so only got it for one year at a time after marrying an Irish man.

Last edited by William3; Apr 18th 2015 at 8:29 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

When a non-EEA national arrives in Ireland, they must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB). The bureau’s officer, upon examining their case, issues them one of the eight stamps which show the person’s immigration status. Here is what the different stamps mean:
Stamp 1
This stamp indicates that the person can work in Ireland if they have a valid work permit. It is also granted to people who hold a business permission to start or to engage in a business in Ireland.

Stamp 2
This stamp is given to non-EEA nationals who are attending a full-time course in Ireland of at least one year’s duration and leading to qualifications recognised by the Minister for Education and Science. Stamp 2 holders are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week and up to 40 hours per week during academic holidays. The stamp is only valid until the holder finishes his/her course of study. In addition, non-EEA students who have graduated on or after 1 January 2007 with a primary, Master’s or doctorate degree from an Irish third-level institution and have a current GNIB Certificate of Registration may be permitted to apply for the Third Level Graduate Scheme. People who qualify under this scheme will be granted one non-renewable extension to their current student permission for a six-month period starting on the date upon which the person receives their examination results. The purpose of the permission to remain under this scheme is to seek employment and gain a ‘green card’ or work permit.

Stamp 2A
If the person’s academic course does not fit with the requirements for Stamp 2, they are given Stamp 2A, which does not allow them to take up any employment and which is only valid until the person finishes their course.

Stamp 3
This stamp indicates that the person cannot work or study full-time in Ireland. It is given to visitors, tourists, spouses and dependants of work permit holders, or those who come to Ireland for medical treatment. The stamp makes some holders totally dependent on the immigration status of their family in Ireland.

Stamp 4
This stamp indicates that the person is entitled to work in Ireland without a work permit. For many, obtaining this stamp is the first step towards getting a full Irish passport. The stamp is given to people on work visas/authorisa-tions. It is also issued to the foreign-born spouses of Irish citizens, people who are granted asylum in Ireland, people with Irish-Born Child residency and people who have obtained long-term residency status. Tempor-arily registered doctors are also given Stamp 4.

Stamp 4 (EU FAM)
This stamp is issued to non-EEA nationals who are family members of EU citizens. Under the European Communities Regul-ations 2006, they can move to Ireland and live here with their families.

Stamp 5
This stamp is issued to non-EEA nationals who have lived in Ireland for at least eight years and who have been permitted by the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform to stay in the State without condition as to time. People holding this stamp can work without a permit and they can freely engage in business.

Stamp 6
This stamp indicates that the holder is permitted to remain in Ireland without any condition. It is usually placed on foreign passports of Irish citizens who hold a dual citizenship so that both their passports show their entitlement to stay in Ireland in equal measure.

(This isn't the official descriptiion, I got it from "metro eireann" a multicutral newspaper in Ireland)

Last edited by William3; Apr 18th 2015 at 8:32 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sola1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by William3
My replys with links seems to have been held for apporval.

Anyway the answer with out links.

The imigration stamp that is put on passports are numbered 0 to 6, and are accompanied by a plastic card "GNIB certificate of registration". GNIB stands for Garda National Immigration Bureau (Garda is the police force in Ireland). If you look "The Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service" website it will give you the list of the various types.

I'm a dual British / Irish citizen, using my Irish passport and wedding certificate my wife got here resience (stamp 4 (includes right to work, for 5* years) the same day she applied (4 hours queueing to be seen, and about 20 minues to get it processed and issued). It may take longer for spouses of UK citizens, however they may issue you a tempory card while they process your application.

In Ireland you need to give three months notice of intention to get married. Normally both of you have to attend together, however if you ring the Civil Registration Service directly they may be able to advise you as to your options.

In our case we gave our notice of intention in Dublin and got married in Cork. It was hard to get dates in Dublin to get married in the registry office, but no problem in Cork. BTW if you get married in a church they will also carry out the civil registration.

* A friend of ours had previously been late renewing her GNIB card as a student, so only got it for one year at a time after marrying an Irish man.

Thanks for that vital info! Very helpful and something I'll revert back to for future reference!

I'll be looking at calling Civil Registration Service and asking them about registering without travelling to Ireland. A few people have said that it should be straightforward doing this. My fiancé will be travelling from the Philippines on a marriage visa which I'm not too sure how long it takes for them to be issued upon success of attaining one! I'm trying to work out when would be the best time for her to apply for a marriage visa, obviously we need to register the marriage first so that she has those documents to prove things but I'm just not sure on timing! Maybe I'm making things seem more difficult than they really are?!

If you can help me out on order of things (maybe a systematic list?) then that would be extremely helpful. There is threads on other forums and other websites that give a step by step guide through the SS route but none from the starting point of 2 unmarried people starting the route!

Help! Ha! :-)
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

One quick thing...

What details/documents etc. of my fiancé would I need available when registering our marriage over the phone? Any info on these sort of things would be great :-)
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

And...

On this page...

Notification requirements for marriage

...in the rules section, it states that you both need to attend the marriage registration. That's going going to be tricky because she is in the Philippines and cannot apply for a marriage visa to travel to Ireland without proof of the marriage registration!

Surely they are able to issue the marriage registration form without my fiancé being there?! There's got to be people who have been in my situation and managed to get their non-EU loved ones to Ireland to marry!

Any advice?!
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

And...

Surely they are able to issue the marriage registration form without my fiancé being there?! There's got to be people who have been in my situation and managed to get their non-EU loved ones to Ireland to marry!

Any advice?!
You should read
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Marriage/Civil partnership Visa
Marriage/Civil Partnership Visa

1. When you can apply
You can apply for a marriage/civil partnership visa after you and your prospective spouse/civil partner have received an acknowledgement from the Registrar confirming the date of receipt of notification of your intention to marry/ enter into a civil partnership.
You can apply for a marriage/civil partnership visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to Ireland.
If you are visiting another state prior to travelling to Ireland, you must have the relevant visa for that state in your passport before applying for an Irish visa.
----------

The registry office booking office website www.crsappointments.ie :
"If any of the following circumstances apply to you or your partner please contact one of our offices directly as you will not be able to complete your booking online:"
  • One or both parties live outside the Republic of Ireland and will not be able to attend a Civil Registration Service office in person at least three months prior to the date of their marriage or civil partnership ceremony.
My wife was all ready in Ireland on a student visa, so it was easier for us.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

And...

...in the rules section, it states that you both need to attend the marriage registration. That's going going to be tricky because she is in the Philippines and cannot apply for a marriage visa to travel to Ireland without proof of the marriage registration!

Any advice?!
The link you gave to citizeninformation, generally gives good upto date information, however it is not an official source.

The "Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service" (inis) website has details of marrage visa. Under Our Services > Visas > Apply for a visa then towards the bottom of the page under additional links, they give details of marriage visas.

crsappointments dot ie (can't post links, with out the posing being held up for approval). Says to phone one of their offices directly, if one or both partners are living outside of Ireland and cannot appear in person. This would suggest that there is a procedure to deal with your case.

In my case, my wife was aready in Ireland on a student visa. So it was much easier for us.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

One quick thing...

What details/documents etc. of my fiancé would I need available when registering our marriage over the phone? Any info on these sort of things would be great :-)
We both went along in person, I think we had to show ID (e.g. passports) and sign a form. It may be different over the phone, you should ask them directly. I found them to be helpfull, even if the Dublin office wanted us to book a date for the marrage before registering intent and the Cork office the other way around. However once I said what the other had said, there was no problem.

In your case you may need to ask for a letter confirming you registered intent for marriage, for your visa application. Otherwise they just record it on their computer system.

BTW You do not have to, register intent in the same place as you get married in.

Last edited by William3; Apr 19th 2015 at 3:47 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks William3, there's a lot of good info you've helped me with.

I'll be contacting the Civil Registration Service this week and asking them a bunch of question including the ones on this thread!

Do you know which office will be best to contact (able to get through without waiting on the phone forever!)? We're looking to be in Dublin to live/work etc.

Really appreciate your time to reply to my queries! :-)
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Just been looking at the online application form for a visa from Ireland that my fiancé will need to fill in and came across these descriptions on the very first question...

What type of visa are you applying for?

Then, when you select either short stay or long stay it gives you more info on those choices which states...

"A Short Stay ( C ) Visa is issued for a stay of 90 days or less for the purpose of tourism, visit to family/friends, business, conference, transit, and some visas which come under the category of "Other".

A Long Stay ( D ) Visa will issue for a stay of more than 90 days. This will not be issued for any of the above reasons, but may be given for the purpose of employment, study, or joining spouse/partner/parent, and certain other categories.'"

It looks like she would need to apply for a long term visa rather than a short term one according to the descriptions. No where in the short term description does it mentions spouse/partner and obviously my fiancé would fall into the "partner" category!

On all the forums and threads i've read people talk about the short term (C) visa being the one you go for but this has confused me!

Can you clarify whether I am right or not as this is a very important question that we couldn't afford to get wrong!

Old Apr 19th 2015, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Here's the line to the online application form...

https://www.visas.inis.gov.ie/avats/...peDetails.aspx

Also, where would you find info on how to go about getting biometric information done? She would need it since she's coming from the Philippines. Bit stuck on that! I assume she would have to travel to a city like Cebu or Manila to attend an appointment or open day to get this done.

Any thread links or websites would be good :-)
Old Apr 20th 2015, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

I'm trying to find out if there's any good templates for writing a 'letter of application' for a marriage visa out there on the internet as well as having a few queries on what to state in it!

Me and my fiancé are wanting to marry in Ireland and then remain in the country until we are able to apply for a UK family permit via the Surinder Singh route. There's a few things on the 'supporting documents' section of this website...

Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Marriage/Civil partnership Visa

...that seem difficult to answer because of our intentions to remain in Ireland after marriage! For example, in section 6 (GUIDE TO SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION) of the webpage above, it says (I will put the parts that I'm needing help with answering in bold italics!)...

outlining your reason for wanting to come to Ireland,
stating how long you intend to stay,
giving details of any members of your family who are currently in Ireland, or any other EU Member State,
providing details of where you intend to stay while you are in Ireland,
stating that the cost of trip is being borne by yourself, or where that is not the case, details of the third party who is funding the costs of the trip, and
undertaking that you will observe the conditions of your visa, that you will not become a burden on the State, and that you will leave the State on the expiry of your permission to remain.

So, we want to be very open and honest about our intentions to remain in Ireland and include this in the 'letter of application' for the marriage visa but it seems like they are expecting you to leave Ireland! On the online visa application it also asks when you intend to leave Ireland but what would be the best thing for my fiancé to put?!

If you have any help or guidance on this issue then please get back to me. I will appreciate any help, seriously!