Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Republic of Ireland
Reload this Page >

Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Sola1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Hi,

This is a separate question from my other thread that was started the other. I thought it would be best to start a new one as I didn't want everything jumbled up in my search for more in depth details on the Surinder Singh route to the UK on a EEA Family Permit.

I'm a UK citizen looking to possibly move to Ireland and marry there leading to returning to the UK after the accepted time to get a family permit.

My questions...

I believe that my Filipino fiancé will need a short stay visa (or 'C' visa) and all the relevant proof documents etc. in order to enter Ireland to marry. If successful on attaining a visa and then marrying, would she be able to apply for an EEA family permit whilst on the visitor visa or would she need to apply for some other 'remain to indefinite leave' certificate? I'm not sure how this works! Please help!

Any info will be appreciated!

Last edited by Sola1; Apr 13th 2015 at 12:16 pm. Reason: Found out the answer to my questions by myself but had other questions that I am yet to know the answers!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Needed for Non-EU Marriying in Ireland?!

Yes, she will definitely need a visa to enter Ireland even if she was married to you already. I know of several guys whose Filipina girlfriends were refused entry to the UK. Not sure if Ireland is any better. My Kenyan wife still needs a visa even though we have been married for 12 years with children.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Right ok, thanks for your reply.

Do you know the best website which gives you info on how to apply for a visa for her to travel to Ireland in order to marry and reside?!

Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Your fiancé will need a short stay visa to enter and marry in Ireland. You apply for this visa online. After you travel to Ireland and have got married then he can apply for a Residence Card using Form EU1 to allow him to live and work in Ireland as your spouse.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Great thanks for that info! I've literally just put up another post asking for answers to my question at this link below!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/repub.../#post11617601

By the way, she's a she not a he! Her name is Ellen from the Philippines!

Appreciate your help! :-)

Last edited by Sola1; Apr 13th 2015 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Added a link!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

"Your fiancé will need a short stay visa to enter and marry in Ireland. You apply for this visa online. After you travel to Ireland and have got married then he can apply for a Residence Card using Form EU1 to allow him to live and work in Ireland as your spouse."

Do you know how soon you would need to apply for a residency card in order to get it before the visa expires? Hopefully its not too tight! :-)
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sola1
Great thanks for that info! I've literally just put up another post asking for answers to my question at this link below!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/repub.../#post11617601

By the way, she's a she not a he! Her name is Ellen from the Philippines!

Appreciate your help! :-)
In that case it's your fiancée not your fiancé

"Your fiancé will need a short stay visa to enter and marry in Ireland. You apply for this visa online. After you travel to Ireland and have got married then he can apply for a Residence Card using Form EU1 to allow him to live and work in Ireland as your spouse."

Do you know how soon you would need to apply for a residency card in order to get it before the visa expires? Hopefully its not too tight! :-)
The short stay visa lasts for three months so you'll have that long to get marry and lodge your application. You'll need to provide evidence of your wedding ceremony booking in order to obtain the visa.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

I understand that the visa last for 3 months. What I'm wanting to know is when would be the best time to apply for a residency card before the visa runs out? How long does the application process and successful obtaining of the residency card take?

For example (not that we would do this!), if she applied for the residency card with only 2 weeks remaining on the visa would she get the card within those 2 weeks?

Is it just best to apply as soon as she arrives in Ireland for a residency card?!

A lot of questions which may seem confusing but I guess I need to be sure of how to go about things! Sorry!
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:44 pm

I understand that the visa last for 3 months. What I'm wanting to know is when would be the best time to apply for a residency card before the visa runs out? How long does the application process and successful obtaining of the residency card take?

For example (not that we would do this!), if she applied for the residency card with only 2 weeks remaining on the visa would she get the card within those 2 weeks?

Is it just best to apply as soon as she arrives in Ireland for a residency card?!

A lot of questions which may seem confusing but I guess I need to be sure of how to go about things! Sorry!
Get visa. Go to Ireland. Get married. Apply for residence card.
Old Apr 13th 2015, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

I see what your saying! Seriously though...

How long does it take to get a residency card, 1 week, 2 weeks?! Give me a clue! We wouldn't want her to be deported before receiving the residency card!

If you don't know the answer then that's fine. Hopefully someone will know and can get back to me on this one. Thanks :-)
Old Apr 13th 2015, 1:29 pm

How long does it take to get a residency card, 1 week, 2 weeks?! Give me a clue! We wouldn't want her to be deported before receiving the residency card!

If you don't know the answer then that's fine. Hopefully someone will know and can get back to me on this one. Thanks :-)
Read the documents at the links I've already posted. All the information you need is there. She won't be deported if they are considering her application.

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Form%...%20Leaflet.pdf

4. Application times
Due to the large volume of applications it can take up to 6 months for an application decision to be reached. All applications are dealt with strictly in chronological order of the date of receipt.
6. Immigration status during application process
Subject to consideration of your initial application, you may be provided with an immigration stamp in your passport which is valid for the period of the application process only, i.e. a maximum of 6 months. This would enable you to remain in the State during this period. Please note that receipt of this endorsement is not an acknowledgement of an entitlement under EU Treaty Rights. This will be determined in due course when your application is either approved or refused.
Old Apr 14th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

A have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

There is a possibility that I could stay with friends in Ireland before I get married. This would obviously mean that I wouldn't have gas, internet bills etc. coming through with my name on it.

I would obviously be wanting to find a job ASAP but know I need certain documents to get legitimate work. So, my question is, do I need to rent out my own place in order to get a PPS (Personal Public Service) number or is it possible whilst living in the home of others?! Also, am I able to move to Ireland and start a job before my fiancé comes or do we both have to be in the country and married before this is possible?

I'm finding the answer to these questions difficult to find so any help would be appreciated!

If anyone know where to find a systematic checklist of what's needed and what to do to fulfill the Surinder Singh route qualifications then I'll be grateful. I already have info from this link "http://www.scribd.com/doc/162770836/...gh-for-Newbies" but there's some things missing that relate to my situation, especially on the first few points.

Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

William3 is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife (chinese) got her residency card (stamp 4 GNIB for 5 years*), the same day. We had to queue for a few hours and got it about 15min after giving in the documents. BTW I'm Irish and British dual national, but showed my Irish passport.

*A friend in a similar position only got it for 1 year, as she was repeatly late renewing her previous GNIB cards.

The times may be different for spouses of EU nationals (e.g. British). However I beleive you will get a tempory residence card while the EU claim is being processed. Once you get the card, you will then be able to get a multi-entry visa, up to the end of the GNIB card. Note when entering and leaving Ireland she should show the visa and GNIB card. See Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service Home Page for details.

When getting married in Ireland you need to give three months notice see http://www.crsappointments.ie/ Ring them directly to see if you you can give notice in advance of her arriving in Ireland. The appoinments for marrage dates in the civil registry office in Dublin book up quickly, however in other places it is much easier to get a time e.g. Cork. It is also possible to marry in various churches and they will also complete the civil marrage registration as well.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

William3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would obviously be wanting to find a job ASAP but know I need certain documents to get legitimate work. So, my question is, do I need to rent out my own place in order to get a PPS (Personal Public Service) number or is it possible whilst living in the home of others?! Also, am I able to move to Ireland and start a job before my fiancé comes or do we both have to be in the country and married before this is possible?
As a UK citizen, you can start work straight away and get the PPS later.
You will need a letter from your employer to get the PPS number (from the dept. of social welfare). Without a PPS number you will pay emergency tax, which rapidly rises over the course of a a few weeks. Once you have your PPS number and your employer sends the details to revenue you will get the money back.

Depending on which GNIB stamp your fiancé gets after marrage, she may also be entitled to work.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by William3
As a UK citizen, you can start work straight away and get the PPS later.
You will need a letter from your employer to get the PPS number (from the dept. of social welfare). Without a PPS number you will pay emergency tax, which rapidly rises over the course of a a few weeks. Once you have your PPS number and your employer sends the details to revenue you will get the money back.

Depending on which GNIB stamp your fiancé gets after marrage, she may also be entitled to work.
Hi,

Thanks for the info.

What is this GNIB stamp you are talking about? Not too sure what it stands for! Some info on that would be good.

Thanks 😊

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.