Go Back  British Expats > Usenet Groups > rec.travel.* > rec.travel.europe
Reload this Page >

Batteries in Europe-- US sizes available?

Batteries in Europe-- US sizes available?

Old May 6th 2002, 6:26 am
Doug Weller

Default Re: Batteries in Europe-- US sizes available?

On 6 May 2002 13:42:57 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, Jani Patokallio wrote:

>The Oik <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: BTW: used batteries are regarded as toxic waste in Europe and thus hazardous
    >: material. In most countries, its against the law just to bin them, and, of course,
    >: you wont want to take haz goods on a flight, so you'll need somewhere to recycle
    >: them. Now, if they are US, they wont have EU recyc marks on them and thus
    >: retailers may not accept them.......
    >
    >Not so -- this used to be true for old lead-alkaline batteries, but nearly all
    >modern-day batteries can be safely trashed. Only specialty batteries like flat watch
    >batteries containing lithium are still considered hazardous

And I believe mobile phone batteries, and certainly batteries for handheld radios.

Doug Doug Weller member of moderation panel sci.archaeology.moderated Submissions to:
[email protected] Doug's Archaeology Site:
http://www.ramtops.demon.co.uk Co-owner UK-Schools mailing list: email me for details

Old May 6th 2002, 6:26 am
Evelyn Vogt Gam

Jani Patokallio wrote:
    >
    > Not so -- this used to be true for old lead-alkaline batteries, but nearly all
    > modern-day batteries can be safely trashed. Only specialty batteries like flat
    > watch batteries containing lithium are still considered hazardous.

Thanks - that's something I didn't know (and it would never have occurred to me to
ask, since I was unaware that any but automobile batteries might be considered
hazardous waste). I gather the AA and AAA batteries in my alarm clock and camera are
safe to trash - fortunately, since I've no idea how to change the little flat watch
batteries, I let the seller change them for me, so presumably those were safely
disposed of.

>
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Jani Patokallio shomreni k'ishon bat ayin, [email protected] betzel k'nafeycha
    > tastireni

Old May 6th 2002, 6:51 am
Miguel Cruz

grey <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Sun, 05 May 2002 22:38:58 GMT, [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >>Stan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Are American type batteries size AA, AAA, and C available in Europe?
    >>
    >> Nope, only the metric sizes. They come in 1, 10, 100, and 1000 joules. Those last
    >> ones are doozies. Each one weighs two kilometers easy. And they're triangular,
    >> which means you can't even roll 'em down the carriageway.
    >
    > What's the voltage? 1.5 Euros?

Yup, which has made things a whole lot easier. I remember a few years ago trying to
figure out how I was going to stuff all those 50-peseta cells into my walkman.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old May 6th 2002, 7:58 am
Nigel M.

This is because rechargeable batteries such as those used for mobile phones, handheld
radios, etc. may contain large amounts of heavy metals. For example "NiCad" batteries
use Nickel + Cadmium, the latter being especially nasty.

Rechargeable batteries contain large amounts of heavy metals; e.g., On 6 May 2002
12:31:08 -0500, Doug Weller <[email protected]> did write, or cause to
appear, hereinunder or as incorporated herein by reference:

>On 6 May 2002 13:42:57 GMT, in rec.travel.europe, Jani Patokallio wrote:
    >>
    >>Not so -- this used to be true for old lead-alkaline batteries, but nearly all
    >>modern-day batteries can be safely trashed. Only specialty batteries like flat
    >>watch batteries containing lithium are still considered hazardous
    >
    >And I believe mobile phone batteries, and certainly batteries for handheld radios.
    >
    >Doug

TESTTESTTEST- Remove the obvious to reply.

Old May 6th 2002, 8:51 am
Www.Summerinita

Yep! We have them all

In Italy look for the "tabacchino", the shops with the white T on a black background
that sell cigarettes. Every tabacchino has batteries, even in the smallest village.

Ciao,

Luca

Luca Trotta Summer In Italy http://www.summerinitaly.com [email protected]

> Are American type batteries size AA, AAA, and C available in Europe?

Malcolm Stewart

COSHH has nothing to do with the disposal of batteries as discussed on this list. (It
might be invoked for care in handling lead-acid batteries in an industrial or other
work environment.) Environmental protection legislation is what you're after.
--
M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK

The Oik <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "vince" <don`[email protected]`t.read.it> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >
    > > "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote
    > >
snip
    > I don't either, but you aren't supposed to stick them in the bin - believe it or
    > not, they are controlled by COSHH (which I suspect you know to be stupid at times).
    > It was a half true wind up.

Thomas Townsend

I'm thinking of getting a digital camera (another thread) and the one I've almost
settled on uses 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Is this type of battery available
for sale in Ireland?

TT

Old May 6th 2002, 9:21 am
Vince

"Thomas Townsend" <[email protected]> wrote

> I'm thinking of getting a digital camera (another thread) and the one I've
almost settled on uses 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Is this type of battery
available for sale in Ireland?

FFS, no. In Ireland, they only sell potatoes.

I hear that in America, you can`t walk 5 yards without getting shot. Is it true?

--
Regards, Vince Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

Old May 6th 2002, 9:50 am
The Service Man

On Mon, 06 May 2002 20:21:06 GMT, Thomas Townsend <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting a digital camera (another thread) and the one I've almost
    >settled on uses 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Is this type of battery available
    >for sale in Ireland?

Possibly, but they're re - chargeable. Why not just re - charge them? NIMH batteries
aren't available at every convenience store or supermarket, you'd probably have to
find an electronic component supplier, this could take a bite out of your vacation,
and if you found them, well, you'd have to charge them before you could use them!

If you're concerned your NIMHs might fail whilst you are travelling why not buy some
spares whilst you are still on your home territory, and charge them up before you go
(For instant readiness)!

The Service manager

Old May 6th 2002, 9:50 am
ajc

On Mon, 6 May 2002 17:54:52 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    ><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 6 May 2002 15:14:31 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >"The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> >>
    >> >> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> >> > On 6 May 2002 13:42:57 GMT, Jani Patokallio <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> > >The Oik <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> > >: BTW: used batteries are regarded as toxic waste in Europe and thus
    >> >> hazardous
    >> >> > >: material. In most countries, its against the law just to bin them,
    >> >and,
    >> >> of
    >> >> > >: course, you wont want to take haz goods on a flight, so you'll
    >need
    >> >> > >: somewhere to recycle them. Now, if they are US, they wont have EU
    >> >recyc
    >> >> > >: marks on them and thus retailers may not accept them.......
    >> >> > >
    >> >> > >Not so -- this used to be true for old lead-alkaline batteries, but nearly
    >> >> > >all modern-day batteries can be safely trashed. Only
    >specialty
    >> >> > >batteries like flat watch batteries containing lithium are still considered
    >> >> > >hazardous.
    >> >> > >
    >> >> > >Cheers,
    >> >> > >--
    >> >> > >Jani Patokallio shomreni k'ishon bat ayin, [email protected] betzel k'nafeycha
    >> >> tastireni
    >> >> > >
    >> >> > Well in NL we are expected to place all batteries in the containers found in
    >> >> > stores all over the place, or where I live they will be collected 4 times a
    >> >> > year by the council chemical collection van. --==++AJC++==--
    >> >>
    >> >(oops - hit it too quick)
    >> >
    >> >I meant to say, how nice to live in civilised country that takes recycle
    >> >seriously - I assume you have heard about the UK 'fridge mountain -
    >caused
    >> >because nobody read the regulations properly??
    >> >
    >> >
    >>
    >> That's a new one on me. When I got a new fridge a few years ago I simply called
    >> the council's oversize refuse collection dept. and they put me on to the fridge
    >> dept. who came and took the thing away and put it to sleep humanely or whatever!
    >> Mind you when we buy electrical products we have to pay a disposal/re-cycling levy
    >> up front. There again if you choose an item with a high efficiency rating you send
    >> the sticker away and get a cash sum back. --==++AJC++==--
    >
    >OK, quickly (because I'm following Dutch news right now - Fortuyn may not have been
    >very nice, but this is too extreme to say the least)

Don't believe everything the BBC has been churning out about him having been extreme
right wing. I have been appalled at some of the nonsense they have been broadcasting.
I have just watched the black guy who is number 2 on Fortuyn's candidate list crying
his eyes out on tv talking of what an inspiration he was to him. Fortuyn, who was
openly gay, did want some restrictions on immigration in to the most densely
populated country in Europe, and he did describe Islam as being a backward religion,
the same sentiment was put in less colourful language on BBC radio 4 the other day in
a discussion concerning the fact that Islam has never modernized and adapted to new
situations in the way that other major religions have. But some of the comments I
have heard lumping him in with the likes of Le Pen or Haider are just absurd. Fortuyn
was easily to the left of most Conservatives in Britain. It is an unbelievable shock
here, things like this are not supposd to happen in NL!

>Since Jan 1, 2002 all fridges have to have both the liquid CFCs AND the foam it has
    >soaked thru (?) disposed of correctly. Right now, the UK has NO way to deal with the
    >foam, and thus mountains of used fridges are piling up, waiting either for a new
    >plant to open, or someone to send them to DE. Seems someone in government 'didn't
    >notice' the foam requirement.
    >
    >

Couldn't they use the foam to pile up on top of all that nuclear waste that they
don't know what to do with either? Or even easier just stick the nuclear waste in the
fridges and hope it all just goes away. --==++AJC++==--

Old May 6th 2002, 10:20 am
Grey

On Mon, 06 May 2002 18:22:49 GMT, [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

>grey <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On Sun, 05 May 2002 22:38:58 GMT, [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >>>Stan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>> Are American type batteries size AA, AAA, and C available in Europe?
    >>>
    >>> Nope, only the metric sizes. They come in 1, 10, 100, and 1000 joules. Those last
    >>> ones are doozies. Each one weighs two kilometers easy. And they're triangular,
    >>> which means you can't even roll 'em down the carriageway.
    >>
    >> What's the voltage? 1.5 Euros?
    >
    >Yup, which has made things a whole lot easier. I remember a few years ago trying to
    >figure out how I was going to stuff all those 50-peseta cells into my walkman.

*smile*

A truly cool book: The World Is Already Yours Conscious living in the real world
www.alreadyyours.com (sample chapter, etc...)

The Oik

"Malcolm Stewart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > COSHH has nothing to do with the disposal of batteries as discussed on
this
    > list. (It might be invoked for care in handling lead-acid batteries in an
    > industrial or other work environment.) Environmental protection
legislation
    > is what you're after.
    > --
    > M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK
    >
I agree that its EPL that stops you dumping them, but after they are dead, they are
waste, right? And thus, when returned to point of sale etc etc. It was a point about
the stupidity of the rules, which are all contradictory in themselves.

The Oik

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 6 May 2002 17:54:52 +0100, "The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote:
<snip>
    > >
    > >OK, quickly (because I'm following Dutch news right now - Fortuyn may not have
    > >been very nice, but this is too extreme to say the least)
    >
    >
    > Don't believe everything the BBC has been churning out about him having been
    > extreme right wing. I have been appalled at some of the nonsense they have been
    > broadcasting. I have just watched the black guy who is number 2 on Fortuyn's
    > candidate list crying his eyes out on tv talking of what an inspiration he was to
    > him. Fortuyn, who was openly gay, did want some restrictions on immigration in to
    > the most densely populated country in Europe, and he did describe Islam as being a
    > backward religion, the same sentiment was put in less colourful language on BBC
    > radio 4 the other day in a discussion concerning the fact that Islam has never
    > modernized and adapted to new situations in the way that other major religions
    > have. But some of the comments I have heard lumping him in with the likes of Le Pen
    > or Haider are just absurd. Fortuyn was easily to the left of most Conservatives in
    > Britain. It is an unbelievable shock here, things like this are not supposd to
    > happen in NL!
    >
    >
I'm one of fortunate few with 'illegal' BBCWorld reception, so I got to see the
interview they did with him last week. Its always difficult to judge at a distance
(and one has to mindful of the way the BNP has chosen to portray itself etc) but he
certainly seemed less extreme than some of the 'mainstream' UK politicos of the last
20 years. Anyway, its not relevant, is it? Shooting people is not an appropriate way
to resolve political disputes. Period. My sympathy to all those in NL for this nasty
turn of events.

Old May 6th 2002, 10:50 am
Jenn

In article <[email protected]>, "vince"
<don`[email protected]`t.read.it> wrote:

> "Thomas Townsend" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >
    > > I'm thinking of getting a digital camera (another thread) and the one I've
    > almost settled on uses 2 AA NiMH rechargeable batteries. Is this type of battery
    > available for sale in Ireland?
    >
    >
    > FFS, no. In Ireland, they only sell potatoes.
    >
    > I hear that in America, you can`t walk 5 yards without getting shot. Is it true?
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Vince Truck Driving In Russia- www.coventon.co.uk

And you think Americans should just arrive in Ireland expecting to plug in their hair
dryers and buy shoes in their regular size, because after all Ireland IS civilized?
What a twit.

Old May 6th 2002, 11:50 am
Icono Clast

mpprh wrote:
    > Yes they seem to be a global standard (maybe the only thig ?)

Absolutely not! Photography, in all respects, has been standardized for about
a century.

«¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤ ¦ ¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤-¤»
ICONO CLAST A San Franciscan in San Francisco - IClast at SFBay Net
http://geocities.com/dancefest/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.