Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Wikiposts

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Old May 12th 2008, 10:19 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Why don't you pop along to the USA forum and read some threads in the Trailer Park in there? I know there are a number of expats who post in there and The Lounge' who live in NY. You might make yourself some new local friends.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:29 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I will........

I just feel funny.... I am not a Brit.... I fit into this forum and specifically into this thread because of the subject matter but I feel out of place elsewhere.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:34 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
Maybe I will........

I just feel funny.... I am not a Brit.... I fit into this forum and specifically into this thread because of the subject matter but I feel out of place elsewhere.
Well you shouldn't. There are quite a number of Americans, born and bred that is, on this site and especially in The Lounge and the Trailer Park. Just read some posts until you feel comfortable enough to post yourself. I will come and say hi when you do, just to make you feel at home. I post in many forums on here, but it did take me quite some time to pluck up the courage in some of them.
Old May 12th 2008, 10:53 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I will think about it......

But I am not really interested in meeting any "Americans"..... I have plenty of those already and frankly most lack the flare Europeans have naturally.

Have you ever seen an "American" eat? God it is so exhausting just to watch it.... I could make a sitcom just from that...

Of course we “Americans” have many faces and many backgrounds and fortunately most “Americans” are not at all like the fools you see on TV….

I am an American a true patriot and devoted to the US… BUT I long for the grounding that we had in Europe, the straight forward way of doing things… the thing… that thing…….. I don’t know what it is…..

Maybe this will explain it….
Last year a tree fell on my property… There was an “American” contractor there and I asked him about removing it and cutting it up…. He explained that he would need to go get his excavator to move the tree away from a stone wall and that he needed a big one and it would take a few weeks before he could get to it…..

After he left a couple of old world Portuguese friends were around…. They looked around… took a chainsaw, cut down a small long tree…. Got a log, used the cut tree as a lever and moved the big tree in a few minutes…..

In less than 1 hour we had it all cut up for firewood.

Simple… just make it happen….

We Americans are so used to our mechanical ways we can’t even think simply anymore.

If that contractor had seen those Portuguese starting to look at the tree he would have laughed at them and said how stupid they were…. After he would still think them stupid for doing by hand what should have taken a machine…. It would never occur to him that maybe ingenuity is worth something.

The way you guys joke here…all the innuendo, all the imagination used… Very European and in particular very British…

In the US if a group tried to joke like that it would not be very long before someone got offended and a fight broke out..

That is what brings me here.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:00 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
Ok I will think about it......

But I am not really interested in meeting any "Americans"..... I have plenty of those already and frankly most lack the flare Europeans have naturally.

Have you ever seen an "American" eat? God it is so exhausting just to watch it.... I could make a sitcom just from that...

Of course we “Americans” have many faces and many backgrounds and fortunately most “Americans” are not at all like the fools you see on TV….

I am an American a true patriot and devoted to the US… BUT I long for the grounding that we had in Europe, the straight forward way of doing things… the thing… that thing…….. I don’t know what it is…..

Maybe this will explain it….
Last year a tree fell on my property… There was an “American” contractor there and I asked him about removing it and cutting it up…. He explained that he would need to go get his excavator to move the tree away from a stone wall and that he needed a big one and it would take a few weeks before he could get to it…..

After he left a couple of old world Portuguese friends were around…. They looked around… took a chainsaw, cut down a small long tree…. Got a log, used the cut tree as a lever and moved the big tree in a few minutes…..

In less than 1 hour we had it all cut up for firewood.

Simple… just make it happen….

We Americans are so used to our mechanical ways we can’t even think simply anymore.

If that contractor had seen those Portuguese starting to look at the tree he would have laughed at them and said how stupid they were…. After he would still think them stupid for doing by hand what should have taken a machine…. It would never occur to him that maybe ingenuity is worth something.

The way you guys joke here…all the innuendo, all the imagination used… Very European and in particular very British…

In the US if a group tried to joke like that it would not be very long before someone got offended and a fight broke out..

That is what brings me here.
Good post Paul.
"Necessity is the mother of invention" springs to mind regarding the tree scenario. When you dont have pots of money, you have to find a way.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:10 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

What the 'eck is going on. Yesterday in Liverpool sunny and 24 degrees - I get off the plane here this morning and it's hissing it down.

And here was me thinking how great it was that I wouldn't have to go back to UK in the foreseeable future.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:16 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

You have been well out of it trog.
The last 2 weeks have been PANTS as Gazz would say.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
You have been well out of it trog.
The last 2 weeks have been PANTS as Gazz would say.
True Trog. the last 2 weeks have been Gazz..sorry pants
Old May 12th 2008, 11:25 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, just looked out of the window and it has stopped raining and the sun is trying its bestest to break through.

But the forecast for the rest of the week doesn't look too great does it?
Old May 12th 2008, 11:33 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

well i,m glad you,re all using my pants

yes totally giant haystacks sized pants indeed!
Old May 12th 2008, 11:37 pm
---------

Originally Posted by gazz
well i,m glad you,re all using my pants

yes totally giant haystacks sized pants indeed!
Shining your a..e in the office again
Why arent you out selling tents to Eastern European immigrants?
Old May 12th 2008, 11:45 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
Shining your a..e in the office again
Why arent you out selling tents to Eastern European immigrants?
even they aren,t buying at the mo, downturn in the amount of drunken expats to rob so tent sales are way down, seriously , things are really dyer here at the mo, good job this isn,t my only source of income or my kids would be trailing the dumps for food, god knows how people are surviving if this is their only income
Old May 12th 2008, 11:49 pm
---------

Originally Posted by gazz
even they aren,t buying at the mo, downturn in the amount of drunken expats to rob so tent sales are way down, seriously , things are really dyer here at the mo, good job this isn,t my only source of income or my kids would be trailing the dumps for food, god knows how people are surviving if this is their only income
I know how you feel. I am trying to buy laptops on ebay and the lack of response to my emails "Do you post to Portugal"? is incredible.
But we must persevere.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:51 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
I know how you feel. I am trying to buy laptops on ebay and the lack of response to my emails "Do you post to Portugal"? is incredible.
But we must persevere.
aye, onward and upward old chap
Old May 13th 2008, 12:47 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive still got a headache
Note to self,do not drink with Port mates all night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.