Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What Visa do I need?

What Visa do I need?

Old Oct 30th 2023, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

littleyellowenterprise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Visa do I need?

I am sure this question has been asked before and I apologise for repeating it if it has.

On a positive note, it's always good to freshen up a question stream from those more knowledgeable and I thank you all in advance.

I have recently purchased my dream property in Portugal, and one day in the distant future (unfortunately) intend to retire or semi-retire here.

It was always my intention to live and work between my UK residence and the PT residence managing and making best use of the 90/180 Schengen rules.

However, my circumstances have changed somewhat with regard to work and I soon will have to travel within Europe for work, eating into my 90 days.

I considered the D7 visa but that I believe is as restrictive as I have to stay a minimum of 180 days in PT and also will restrict the amount of days I can stay in the UK.

In the long term, it was our intention to start a couple of businesses in PT and this would be our means of income once we are full-time residents but our plan for that was at least 3 years away.

Due to work, I can't sacrifice my UK residency, and I am in no way able to fulfil the requirements of a Golden Visa.

Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 7:49 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Visa do I need?

The only one I can think of which might fit the bill is the temporary stay visa, valid for up to a year and permitting multiple entries.

As one who obtained one can confirm, it's a palaver to get issued one - see here

I can see what you want & why but it may be that unless you're planning on a long stay, it won't be deemed necessary for you to be issued with a visa. You'll note that return travel tickets are part of the requred documentation - if you're just coming for the odd short break between work assignments, it might not fit the bill for the sort of extended stay which necessitates holding a visa.

No harm in trying, but be prepared for a frustrating and lengthy process, possibly to no avail.
Old Oct 31st 2023, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Visa do I need?

The D7 visa is only for 4 months and 2 visits for the purpose of visiting Portugal to obtain a residents permit. Once obtained the stay requirements are 16 months in the first 2 years and 28 months in the following 3 years, in both cases with max 6 month continuous absence although there are allowable exceptions Even with that you could still remain a tax resident in the UK under the Stautory Residence test.

The E6 temporary stay referred to by Eric may fit but the application requirements are very similar to the D7 visa in terms of paperwork and income and it will require renwing each year.

I believe any income arising in Portugal will be taxed in Portugal so you may encounter the joys of the doublt taxation treaty.