New E6 visa

Old Jun 14th 2022, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New E6 visa

Originally Posted by riv

Why the UK did not insist on simple reciprocity in terms of the length of time citizens of one country could spend in the other I have no idea, albeit one can put it down to UK ministers and civil servants not having a clue.
Maybe because "...they need us more than we need them"?

The sad reality, whether one is willing to accept it or not, is that retired British expats are of little or no significant benefit to Portugal, or to most, if not all, of the other EU countries.
It is people of working age with skills, who those countries would accept with open arms; people who would contribute by paying taxes, social security contributions, etc, not only by paying VAT on purchases.

The rest is wishful thinking imho.

Last edited by SgtTroy; Jun 14th 2022 at 11:35 am.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

appman999 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying very hard not to get into the B thing and just coping with the fallout as best I can.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 12:34 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
I'm not sure sarcasm is warranted regarding anyone seeking to understand the legal options for visiting Portugal.

It's hardly a "have cake & eat it" visa, more like a two cake visa given the application appears to have the same criteria as a residence visa (NIF, bank account, proof of accommodation and income, etc, etc) and is only for a year.

The only difference therefore is possibly the income tax situation (since as a homeowner you pay IMI and everyone pays IVA) but obviously as a non-resident you aren't able to take advantage of resident's benefits.

As a resident, if all your income arises in the UK, it is quite possible, to be just taxed on that income in the UK and then you are able to take advantage of resident's benefits without contributing which is worse.

Many countries (UK and US being two) have 6 month or longer visas for visiting which are comparatively easy to obtain and that would suit me fine.

I know and accept the EU wide rules but if Portugal are able to offer greater access restricted to their territory (as residence is) why should this cause such consternation?
I agree with you - nothing at all wrong with finding an appropriate visa for a long visit should one exist.

I'm also of the purely personal opinion that it could well stand a good chance of being granted and that the timbre of the wording about justification may be for the purposes of Portugal being understood to be complying with its Schengen obligations. Although one individual visiting for upwards of 3 months may not register on most meters of what's important for PT, I think the PT authorities may see it slightly differently when multiplied by however many it is and taking into account that long-stay visitors may well generate further influxes of friends and family and that any of each group might be engaging in activities which benefit local economies, whether or not those are in tourist-reliant areas. They tend, in my understanding, to take a more holistic(? not sure if that's quite the right word but anyway) and long-term view of the value of things as opposed to regarding it as eg one pensioner living on the cheap for a while.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute

" retired British expats are of little or no significant benefit to Portugal, or to most, if not all, of the other EU countries".

Not sure if i agree with that...... retired Brits take with them money to spend thus helping the economy. Buy property which might otherwise be left empty,unsold, abandoned. Paying taxes etc.
I'm not particularly sure about the UK being "welcoming" with their allowance of a 6 month stay going by the reception for my OH got on re-entering here.(EU citizen). He was asked if he lived here(UK car),that his passport showed no evidence that he was allowed to do so(was not aware that passport had to show this and have never been told it should. No idea how to get this done).Asked if he had evidence of any resettlement agreement?(we had the confirmation letter).

Last edited by toots sweet; Jun 14th 2022 at 12:59 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2022, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Obviously the paying taxes only applies to some of those who become resident and the property side could be a negative as it pushes up prices for the local population as happens in Devon and Cornwall.

Winter visitors to tourist areas may help to provide a little income in the hospitality sector during otherwise fairly quiet times but I wouldn't want to overstate their importance.

I totally agree the reported treatment of EU citizens entering the UK is scandalous but is unfortunately symptomatic.

However wishing to avoid politics any info on the visa I highlighted initially would be welcome. (I have found one person on Facebook who appears to have obtained it.)
Old Jun 14th 2022, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

chislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond reputechislenko has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, putting aside all the visa stuff, why do the Portuguese shout all the time, in the bar, the supermarket, even in their house!

Old Jun 15th 2022, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chislenko
Yes, putting aside all the visa stuff, why do the Portuguese shout all the time, in the bar, the supermarket, even in their house!
LOL, make sure you never eat in a Chinese restaurant in China, HK or other Chinese-speaking place. If you do you will really find out what shouting actually is …
Old Jun 15th 2022, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Can we please have a separate thread "Ten Things We Hate Most About Portugal And Why We Think That Portuguese Are Inferior To Us"
Old Aug 15th 2023, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I agree with you - nothing at all wrong with finding an appropriate visa for a long visit should one exist.

I'm also of the purely personal opinion that it could well stand a good chance of being granted and that the timbre of the wording about justification may be for the purposes of Portugal being understood to be complying with its Schengen obligations. Although one individual visiting for upwards of 3 months may not register on most meters of what's important for PT, I think the PT authorities may see it slightly differently when multiplied by however many it is and taking into account that long-stay visitors may well generate further influxes of friends and family and that any of each group might be engaging in activities which benefit local economies, whether or not those are in tourist-reliant areas. They tend, in my understanding, to take a more holistic(? not sure if that's quite the right word but anyway) and long-term view of the value of things as opposed to regarding it as eg one pensioner living on the cheap for a while.
I know this is a very old thread but I just obtained my 12 month E6 visa based on owning a property in Portugal and having adequate financial resources.

Have to wait and see what happens when it comes to renewal. Obviously if I stay more than 6 months I'll also become tax resident.
Old Aug 15th 2023, 12:59 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

And a big raspberry to all the naysayers
Old Aug 21st 2023, 8:25 pm
Polished expat

Out of interest, is this visa multiple or single entry? And if the former, is it unlimited for the period of the visa?
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Multiple entry and no limits mentioned for the 12 month validity although as I said tax residence is probable after 6 months.
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like PT has itself `having its cake and eating it` So now `swallows` are able to remain in PT for 6 months at a time, and if property owners and non PT residents have almost the same benefits as being an actual PT resident (ah no, better cause they wont be subject to PT taxes)
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by appman999
Multiple entry and no limits mentioned for the 12 month validity although as I said tax residence is probable after 6 months.
Do you know if the time you spend in PT counts towards your allotted 180days in the Schengen area, or would you get another 90+90 in any other Schengen area if you wanted ?
Old Aug 22nd 2023, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wellinever
Seems like PT has itself `having its cake and eating it` So now `swallows` are able to remain in PT for 6 months at a time, and if property owners and non PT residents have almost the same benefits as being an actual PT resident (ah no, better cause they wont be subject to PT taxes)
Actually PT resident with NHR quite possibly paying less tax overall than `swallows`. No access to social security or SNS and possibly other benefits that don't apply to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.