Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

Originally Posted by liveaboard
We have a bakery here in our little town that has the best bread... after I do my big shopping in Aljezur of Lagos, I go down to the small village bakery for the bread.

I get the Odiaxe(s) bread ,or the Monchiques The joy apart from the fact it's delicious is that it doesn't keep for 5 or 6 weeks in your pantry. It's gone in a day..
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice

Originally Posted by GeniB
Oh dear SallyRosie... why are you coming to Portugal at all if you can't live without British Food? It's not sub saharan Africa. If you are however totally desperate after coming here for disgusting stuff like oxo cubes then you can usually get them at the more foreign friendly supermarkets like Apollonia in Almancil and Lagoa.. Really though this IS the home of good honest simple unadulterated food. enjoy..
Dear GeniB

Maybe I should have worded my post slightly better. What I meant was foodstuffs you can get here in the UK that you can't get in Portugal. I am a very good cook and cook dishes from all over the world: Turkish, Jewish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, British, Thai, Spanish, Italian, Lebanese etc etc. We are very much looking forward to Portuguese food (which I have sampled on trips to Lisbon) and cooking with the local produce. I know that they will be times when we crave non Portuguese food and if I know that's it's difficult to source certain cuisines ingredients (eg Sriracha or Shinkiang vinegar, Sichuan peppers) I will bring them with me.

I do NOT use oxo cubes or heat up ready meals. I make my own stock.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, I freeze the bread and then toast it as needed.
Not nearly as nice as fresh, but the reality is I'm not going to get to the bakery every day, and I only eat a few slices.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:01 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh, the bread. Even the most miserable cafe has bread to die for - and forget butter, it's not necessary on fresh bread. (I have now been disowned by my Ma and any famly at home )

In my local Pingo Doce they used to have tangerine juice at 99c a litre ..... yum. Then it disappeared, to be replaced by Sunny Delight in the chiller cabinet - WTF??? But then, in this land of coffee and oranges, so many hotels serve plastic joice and roasted barley at breakfast

Last edited by macliam; Apr 23rd 2016 at 10:26 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
Dear GeniB

Maybe I should have worded my post slightly better. What I meant was foodstuffs you can get here in the UK that you can't get in Portugal. I am a very good cook and cook dishes from all over the world: Turkish, Jewish, French, Chinese, Vietnamese, British, Thai, Spanish, Italian, Lebanese etc etc. We are very much looking forward to Portuguese food (which I have sampled on trips to Lisbon) and cooking with the local produce. I know that they will be times when we crave non Portuguese food and if I know that's it's difficult to source certain cuisines ingredients (eg Sriracha or Shinkiang vinegar, Sichuan peppers) I will bring them with me.

I do NOT use oxo cubes or heat up ready meals. I make my own stock.
Hi Saffy Don't be offended I 'm afraid your post did not come across the way you may have wanted it to. Your cuisine is obviously very sophisticated. I am not sure then that we could help you with such a shopping list.(hardly everyday ingredients) Again something only you can find out when you arrive

Last edited by GeniB; Apr 23rd 2016 at 10:35 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macliam
Ahh, the bread. Even the most miserable cafe has bread to die for - and forget butter, it's not necessary on fresh bread. (I have now been disowned by my Ma and any famly at home )

In my local Pingo Doce they used to have tangerine juice at 99c a litre ..... yum. Then it disappeared, to be replaced by Sunny Delight in the chiller cabinet - WTF??? But then, in this land of coffee and oranges, so many hotels serve plastic joice and roasted barley at breakfast
It sometimes pays to ask macliam.. We got served disgusting wishy washy coffee at a five star hotel in Lisbon .When I gently complained to the manager he said he thought we were American? Why that was an explanation I don't know. However he took off and came back with two steaming cups of good Portuguese coffee. I bet the real juice is out there too.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
I know that's it's difficult to source certain cuisines ingredients (eg Sriracha or Shinkiang vinegar, Sichuan peppers) I will bring them with me.
No need - all available here ...

Historic links with Macau (Portuguese) mean a long history of trading and much of the import and European distribution of speciality foods such as you buy in the UK is based in Portugal.

Your examples ...

Produtos - Glood

http://www.socilink.com/ (Chinkiang in Portuguese) - near the bottom of the page

http://www.spicebox.pt/#!product/prd...nta-de-sichuan but many local supermarkets have that - they grow well in the Portuguese climate too !

Last edited by MrBife; Apr 23rd 2016 at 10:53 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by liveaboard

You can't get grape seed oil here.
If anyone except us uses that...
The Portuguese have been known to grow the occasional grape and the seeds apparently get processed here and used for oil

Lots of health outlets sell it + local mail order

Óleo de Semente de Uva para Massagem | Óleos de Massagem - BestMassage.pt

And others
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

From the weekly white van yesterday, I bought some lovely and very fresh radish, mushrooms, leeks, new potatoes, tomatoes, peas and coriander. They also have fruit.

Sadly, you never know what they're going to bring each week, so it's pot luck

Also collected my fresh rolls and cheese from the bar.

Heaven
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
The Portuguese have been known to grow the occasional grape and the seeds apparently get processed here and used for oil

Lots of health outlets sell it + local mail order

Óleo de Semente de Uva para Massagem | Óleos de Massagem - BestMassage.pt

And others
I didn't mean massage oil, but for cooking.
It's excellent for frying.
I found some in a health food shop here at a health food shop price.
Waitrose UK sells it at 5 gbp per liter. It may well be made in Portugal, but I haven't found it for sale here as a reasonable cost retail foodstuff.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
In my local Pingo Doce they used to have tangerine juice at 99c a litre ..... yum. Then it disappeared, to be replaced by Sunny Delight in the chiller cabinet - WTF???
I didn't realise you could still get Sunny D, I thought it had been banned years ago. When it first came out I bought a small carton, gave it to my daughter who was about 5 at the time. Her face swelled up, lumps and bumps all over her body. The rest of the carton went in the bin. Evil shite.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:42 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
It sometimes pays to ask macliam.. We got served disgusting wishy washy coffee at a five star hotel in Lisbon .When I gently complained to the manager he said he thought we were American? Why that was an explanation I don't know. However he took off and came back with two steaming cups of good Portuguese coffee. I bet the real juice is out there too.
Oh I have and I do, but the results aren't always positive. Most places don't actually serve coffee at breakfast but roasted barley, or a mixture, so that it doesn't upset the elderly and infirm, and people accept it. Likewise, real juice is the exception - because it's normally a case of fresh-squeezed or chemical soup, no in-between (which is why the Pingo Doce tangerine juice was so unusual). Aldi & Lidl orange juice is imported from Spain... which says loads.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I didn't realise you could still get Sunny D, I thought it had been banned years ago. When it first came out I bought a small carton, gave it to my daughter who was about 5 at the time. Her face swelled up, lumps and bumps all over her body. The rest of the carton went in the bin. Evil shite.
I didn't even know what that was at all MP. I had to google & kept getting a straw hat.

I use the beef oxo cubes like my Mum did before me. Don't hate me. I do also make my own stock.
Sometimes Mum gave us a hot cup of oxo and a slice or two of bread for our tea. I have fond memories of that.
My Dad was a chef but I don't ever remember him cooking at all at home when we were young. Later on I don't ever remember him using an oxo .

Ah! The memories an oxo cube brings back.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I didn't even know what that was at all MP. I had to google & kept getting a straw hat.

I use the beef oxo cubes like my Mum did before me. Don't hate me. I do also make my own stock.
Sometimes Mum gave us a hot cup of oxo and a slice or two of bread for our tea. I have fond memories of that.
My Dad was a chef but I don't ever remember him cooking at all at home when we were young. Later on I don't ever remember him using an oxo .

Ah! The memories an oxo cube brings back.
A flask of OXO for a cold day out in an open boat