House Insulation

Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

gazjan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default House Insulation

Hi,have just joined this forum and gotta say how informative it has been.I have a question re house insulation.I understand that in the Algarve there is probably no need for insulation due to the all year round temps but what happens when you go further north and inland where the winters are colder.Thinking Castelo Branco or Abrantes area.We are contemplating a move in the next year or two so still looking at areas.Reason for thinking inland is more for ya buck re the kind of property.Any help here much appreciated.Thanks
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Insulation

As you say a lot more bang for your buck in central & northern zones.

We're near Figueiro Dos Vinhos which (IMO) has slightly mlder winters than Castelo Branco but in either area, you need good insulation and heating for the winter & whilst you can get away without air con in the summer, it's a lot more comfortable if you have that as well.

We did our renovation in two stages where the main house was first renovated and then we rebuilt/converted the adjoining barn and from that experience we learned that you can't have too much insulation in the walls & ceiling, the best option for double glazed windows is PVC with aluminium shutters and the best/most economical (to run) central heating is wood pellet fired.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

I am not looking to renovate but to buy an existing property.What is the chance that it would have insulation and if it hasent im persuming it will be very cold in winter.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of finished properties in all conditions on the market and of course some have better insulation & heating than others...... you just have to look carefully & not trust anything a seller or agent tells you.

We spent our first winter in a rented cottage with little heating & precious little insulation & it was helluva uncomfortable & helluva expensive to keep even moderately warm.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

This is not doing much for my dream retirement ideas lol,how on earth do the locals that own these kind of properties manage in the winter.If i cant trust either seller or agent how do i find out if its insulated or not.Would i need to get a builder to look or can i not trust them either.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Generaly speaking, older properties are uninsulated [in the south anyway].
At some point about 15 years ago, new building codes came in and since then all residential structures have a 50mm layer of pu in the walls. It's hard to tell by looking.
It's ok thermally, but nothing like standards in northern countries.
Here's a very important tip; sound shoots right through the hollow brick used here, and the PU foam is a poor acoustic insulator. Double glazing helps tremendously, but think about noise levels when looking at property, especially if there are abutting neighbors or any significant noise sources nearby.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

So i have to look at properties built after the building codes came in then.Does this also apply to renovations done after this time.Very handy to know also about the poor sound insulation of the bricks and seeing that i sleep with earplugs in the uk its not boding well.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gazjan
This is not doing much for my dream retirement ideas lol,how on earth do the locals that own these kind of properties manage in the winter.If i cant trust either seller or agent how do i find out if its insulated or not.Would i need to get a builder to look or can i not trust them either.
Ah but better to know the realities before you buy than afterwards....... the good news is a builder can usually have a poke around & tell you if it's insulated or not.

You can also have insulation added to the outside of the building & a skim applied on top for not too much money if you have to.

As to how do the locals manage in old uninsulated houses......... I'm blowed if I know but it can't be comfortable!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Well it looks like i have lots to think about.I have one more question about the weather coming off of the Atlantic say around the silver coast area.You may not know the answer of course but here goes.I understand that the coast does suffer with winds....i hate the wind.How far inland would i have to go for it to be less of a problem.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose the answer to that is if you have a significant windbreak such as a mountain (lol) between you & the coastline you won't get the wind.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yep i thought of that one to lol.Anyway thanks very much for your help and yes it has posed a few questions i have to address.Have to sign off now but i will be back with other posing questions i have no doubt.THANKS AGAIN
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The good news is the summers are usually loooong, hot & dry,
Old Apr 25th 2016, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

In the last year there has been 2 building projects carried out in the area I live in.
One New Build + Complete External renovation, both have used the system below as the external finish.

External Wall Insulation Systems - Weber

In both cases the company was a Weber Accredited Company & I must say the attention to detail by the guy's doing the work was excellent.

Both parties researched extensively before opting for this system ,and both are very happy with the result.

http://www.weber.com.pt/revestimento...-fachadas.html

Last edited by Ingles; Apr 25th 2016 at 9:53 am. Reason: added link
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by gazjan
how on earth do the locals that own these kind of properties manage in the winter.
From personal observation, they heat one room as much as they can afford and then go to bed very early to try to keep warm. They wear jumpers and coats inside the house and try to stay as active as possible to keep circulation going.

Their homes are damp and cold and for me, not habitable. Insulation and Heating are not options they are essentials unless you really plan to live like a native.

Ask your real estate agent what heating system (s)he has in his/her own home

If the sale is via a professional registered agent then one of the requirements is for the property to have an energy certificate in order to be able to present it for sale. A is very unusual to find, B is considered pretty good but anything less than E is going to need some money spent

Last edited by MrBife; Apr 25th 2016 at 11:17 am.
Old Apr 25th 2016, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ingles
In the last year there has been 2 building projects carried out in the area I live in.
One New Build + Complete External renovation, both have used the system below as the external finish.

External Wall Insulation Systems - Weber

In both cases the company was a Weber Accredited Company & I must say the attention to detail by the guy's doing the work was excellent.

Both parties researched extensively before opting for this system ,and both are very happy with the result.

Revestimento e renovação de fachadas - Weber
Thanks guys for info.What kinda price are we looking at here on a typical size 3 bed villa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.