Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

Old Apr 22nd 2016, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

SaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really niceSaffyRosie is just really nice
Default What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

Prior to our move to The Algarve next spring I am compiling a list of foodstuff that we won't be able to buy out in Portugal.

What do I need to put on my list please?

Thanking you in advance.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: What british foodstuffs can't you get in The Algarve

Marmite. It is a hellish price!
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Oxo cubes & Marmite are a bit hard to get and expensive when you can get them but you always order online if you absolutely have to..... and interestingly, britishcornershop.co.uk have started a new service where you can order a smaller box of goodies for about £4 postage.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 9:37 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Glass half-full, or half-empty? Maybe better to compile a list of the things you can get in Portugal but not in the UK and look forward to the change

Things are available, one way or another, but you'll have to pay a lot if you insist on buying what you're used to. On the other hand, fresh tomatoes and other fruits that were ripened outdoors, Fish that was swimming only hours ago, eggs that mean you'll never need colouring in your baking, etc., etc. are a great compensation.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by SaffyRosie
Prior to our move to The Algarve next spring I am compiling a list of foodstuff that we won't be able to buy out in Portugal.

What do I need to put on my list please?

Thanking you in advance.
Portugal is part of mainland Europe, you can buy most food known to man and then some. You can even buy British chemical garbage food like Sunny Delight, Pot noodle and Cuppa-soup. Wake up to some fresh tastes and forget your list
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Going slightly off topic here but it should be noted that whilst a lot of the fish here is really good an awful lot is farmed and not a shadow of the real thing so it's a good idea to look carefully before you buy...... if it's labelled 'aquaculture' it's farmed.

A good example of the two is Robalo/Sea Bass. The real thing is firm, cuts almost like meat & very tasty whereas the farmed version is soft & flabby, falls apart and is relatively tasteless.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:01 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Going slightly off topic here but it should be noted that whilst a lot of the fish here is really good an awful lot is farmed and not a shadow of the real thing so it's a good idea to look carefully before you buy...... if it's labelled 'aquaculture' it's farmed.

A good example of the two is Robalo/Sea Bass. The real thing is firm, cuts almost like meat & very tasty whereas the farmed version is soft & flabby, falls apart and is relatively tasteless.
As with all things, there is always a way to cut corners. Good food is not cheap, because good treatment, etc. costs money. So if fish (or meat) seems cheap you have to doubt the quality.....

Secretos, plumas and other known cuts of porco preto cost more than beef steak ..... but there are "crosses" and poorer cuts that are sold off cheaply - caveat emptor.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I can't disagree with that but would add that best quality meat is often sourced locally from neighbours...... Some of the best T bones I've ever had (and that includes from RSA) came from a neighbour for just €5/Kg.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Go to Iceland at the Albufeira Shopping Mall they stock it all, even their sausages aren't too bad, but really try and wean yourself the "essentials" - you will adapt and the local produce and products are very good.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond reputePica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrBife
Portugal is part of mainland Europe, you can buy most food known to man and then some. You can even buy British chemical garbage food like Sunny Delight, Pot noodle and Cuppa-soup.
do people really eat that junk ?
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pica
do people really eat that junk ?
Yes - English people think Sunny Delight is made with Oranges
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen Portuguese people buying it in the supermarket, where it's kept in large quantities in the cooler with the juice.
I think it's a scandal.
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear SallyRosie... why are you coming to Portugal at all if you can't live without British Food? It's not sub saharan Africa. If you are however totally desperate after coming here for disgusting stuff like oxo cubes then you can usually get them at the more foreign friendly supermarkets like Apollonia in Almancil and Lagoa.. Really though this IS the home of good honest simple unadulterated food. enjoy..
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I've seen Portuguese people buying it in the supermarket, where it's kept in large quantities in the cooler with the juice.
I think it's a scandal.

NO the scandal is mothers pride bread! and others that pretend to be bread and threaten the indigenous sort with extinction
Old Apr 23rd 2016, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We have a bakery here in our little town that has the best bread... after I do my big shopping in Aljezur of Lagos, I go down to the small village bakery for the bread.

Good tea is super expensive. Really good tea isn't available.
I get it by mail order, as we drink huge quantities.

You can't get grape seed oil here.
If anyone except us uses that...
Ready meals are few, low quality, and expensive.
Not that we eat anything like that of course, no never ever, I'm just saying.

Last edited by liveaboard; Apr 23rd 2016 at 6:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.