Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Yes over 50's can have girlfriends. But, if they leave UK and travel by car to Portugal and move in with them, then by the time they get there, they are either too tired to do anything about it or they have forgotton why they came.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:08 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brodev
Yes over 50's can have girlfriends. But, if they leave UK and travel by car to Portugal and move in with them, then by the time they get there, they are either too tired to do anything about it or they have forgotton why they came.
Heh heh ... thats a very brave thing to say on a forum where probably a large amount of the people on it are in that area of age
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
You said I was the only one :curse:
I say that to them all, it keeps them all sweet then. ;-)
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Novulus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite simply if you're resident in Portugal (i.e. have lived here at least 183 days) you must legally register your car.
The law changed in last July and after that the authorities have hardened enforcement and this has already led to a demonstration by Spanish expats in Lisbon asking for more leniency by the authorities.
If they are impounding ilegal Spanish vehicles which are far more common here I'm sure they will have no trouble impounding British registered vehicles if they want to.
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike
I would add that it is possible to MOT your foreign registered car in PT and if you want to obtain tax in PT.
Thanks Mike This is great news! I'd love to know more about how to MOT my car in Portugal too. Note that its only 2 months old so its not a pressing issue!

Of course my main residence will be the UK, naturally I abide by all legislation relevant to insurance etc. (it goes without saying I've never broken a speed limit in my life either!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brodev
www.ecarinsurance.co.uk is one answer to your request. Saga also offers 12 months green card but as you said you were moving in with your GF I presume you are under 50
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!) I am under 50 but not by much (44) so Saga is a non-starter. I do have to agree though that being over 50 doesn't mean you cant have a GF