Reload this Page >

Health insurance cover

Health insurance cover

Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health insurance cover

Hi

I am moving to Portugal next year and does anybody have any advice on which level of health insurance I ought to subscribe to and which are the best companies to deal with in terms of service and cost (taking into account good service is essential as I do have health issues unfortunately).

Thanks
Tony
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: Health insurance cover

Have a look at the other thread with same title!

Last edited by Mike; Oct 21st 2007 at 10:52 am.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Health insurance cover

We got our private medical here through our bank and the prices are much cheaper than they are in the UK, for the two of us with there top policy was 1100 euros. Before we left some companies were quoting 1100 pounds for one and if you shop around you will probably get it cheaper.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:07 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

We use Multicare through Fidelidade Mundial,1100 euros for the both of us
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Basgooner
Hi

I am moving to Portugal next year and does anybody have any advice on which level of health insurance I ought to subscribe to and which are the best companies to deal with in terms of service and cost (taking into account good service is essential as I do have health issues unfortunately).

Thanks
Tony
Why not use the National Health system here in Portugal. If you are coming to live here full time and will take up Residency then you are entitled to be treated here as a local person and get prescriptions at a reduced rate compared to those who just call in to the chemist and pay the full price. I think that health care is very good here.
Joao
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:57 pm

I have both,which i agree is brilliant for discounted drugs.
However,my brit friends in Algarve are suffering when it comes to trying to see a doctor.They have all been given the same one,who is never at the surgery and have great difficulty seeing an alternative doc.
This maybe peculiar to where i used to live,but I would suggest having private back up if you can afford it.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

There is a shortage of Docs's in PT and it can take some time to be seen at health centres. Some people seem to say that routine op's can take some time. For every negative story you hear about local health care you hear another about how good it is. Confusing. So I think if you can afford it then PMI is a good back up BUT...look carefully at what you get for your money.
Just a personal view as I know very little about PMI products available in PT.
Speak to someone who knows and can advise you on benefits of the numerous products on offer.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Re: Health insurance cover

I live 2 mins walk from the Centro da Saude in Tavira and went to register for a family doctor last week and was informed that at the moment all doctors lists are full but if we needed an appointment they would fit us in with the first doctor that was available. The advantage of having PMI is you can get to see the same doctor at the time you want and at least you can build up a patient/doc relationship, but in saying that I am quite happy to use the Portuguese service as well.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 11:28 am
Just Joined

contrada is an unknown quantity at this point

I am interested in the response posted by Joao - My wife and I hope to be able to retire early and relocate to central algarve next year. It has been mentioned to me that as we are both below state retiral age (late 50s) and will not be working that we would not be entitled to the PT health system and would require proof of private health insurance before being allowed to take up residency

this seems to differ from what Joao has said - any clarification would be most welcome

Ken
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by contrada
I am interested in the response posted by Joao - My wife and I hope to be able to retire early and relocate to central algarve next year. It has been mentioned to me that as we are both below state retiral age (late 50s) and will not be working that we would not be entitled to the PT health system and would require proof of private health insurance before being allowed to take up residency

this seems to differ from what Joao has said - any clarification would be most welcome

Ken
If you have been paying into the UK health system you may be able to get a form E106 from DWP before you leave that will cover you for up to two years in the EU community. HERE
Old Oct 31st 2007, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by contrada

Ken
I am 47 and in the portuguese health system.
I also have residencia,and wasnt asked for anything to do with health cover to obtain it.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 4:44 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Health insurance cover

Originally Posted by Cleri
I am 47 and in the portuguese health system.
I also have residencia,and wasnt asked for anything to do with health cover to obtain it.
And I thought ladies never gave away their ages.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:08 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

They do if they look 28

My mother uses the Port. Health service, and thinks it is excellent (before that she was private in South Africa, which had a brilliant healthcare system), but then again, she is in Lisbon, and it is a bit different outside the big cities.
Old Oct 31st 2007, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Redlippie
They do if they look 28

My mother uses the Port. Health service, and thinks it is excellent (before that she was private in South Africa, which had a brilliant healthcare system), but then again, she is in Lisbon, and it is a bit different outside the big cities.
Love ya lippie
or are you takin the p++s
Old Oct 31st 2007, 10:58 pm

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Cleri
Love ya lippie
or are you takin the p++s
No. You look 28. And you'll only look younger. Portugal has discovered the fountain of youth. It is to be found in drinking copious amounts of vinho verde!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.