Reload this Page >

UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Hi all

Does anyone know which UK insurance companies offer a 12 month unlimited foreign use policy. Im moving to Portugal next year but will retain a residence in the UK i.e. Ill be going back on occasion so want to keep the car insured in the UK (its RHD)

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Only a few offer the so called unlimited foreign use clause but in reality it isn't. They all say your main residence must be in UK. If you are living here the majority of the time then insure in PT. You can still return to UK for up to 90 days p.a. Only a few companies to choose from though. Speak to a broker here and get a quote, read key facts of policy, etc.

If the moderators want to delete the next bit then so be it, I am only trying to help!

Lloyd & Whyte 281 32 58 42.

Old Oct 21st 2007, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Basgooner is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mike

Here's the easier bit... I will still 'live' in the UK, Im moving into my GF's house so hopefully that'll help me out. Do you know the English companies that offer this?? Im not going to change the plates over because Im going to take the car back to the UK eventually to selll it hence doing it this way.

Cheers
Tony

Originally Posted by Mike
Only a few offer the so called unlimited foreign use clause but in reality it isn't. They all say your main residence must be in UK. If you are living here the majority of the time then insure in PT. You can still return to UK for up to 90 days p.a. Only a few companies to choose from though. Speak to a broker here and get a quote, read key facts of policy, etc.

If the moderators want to delete the next bit then so be it, I am only trying to help!

Lloyd & Whyte 281 32 58 42.

Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Basgooner
Thanks Mike

Here's the easier bit... I will still 'live' in the UK, Im moving into my GF's house so hopefully that'll help me out. Do you know the English companies that offer this?? Im not going to change the plates over because Im going to take the car back to the UK eventually to selll it hence doing it this way.

Cheers
Tony
Its not as easy as that, most UK insurers will only cover you for three months as a tourist.
Not sure about PT but here in Spain you have to apply for residencia if you are in the country for more than three months and you have to matriculate your vehicle to local plates, test and insurance.
The police can check when the vehicle entered by the ferry/tunnel ticket.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Tony,
The law in PT is different to that in Spain.
You can drive a foreign registered vehicle here for 183 days in any 12 month period.
After this the vehicle should be imported.
In reality many don't.
If you regularly return to UK and keep the car MOT'd and taxed in UK then you can insure it here with UK insurer based in Gib. You can even tax online!
When stopped by GNR you can show them all docs with UK address and they should be happy.
If they suspected that you live here they can give you a hard time but very difficult for them to prove.
Regards,
Mike.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike
Tony,
If they suspected that you live here they can give you a hard time but very difficult for them to prove.
Regards,
Mike.
And if they do prove it, do they confiscate your car and crush it like they are doing in Spain presently?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have not heard of one instance in Portugal of a car being crushed.
I have heard of a few isolated cases of people being forced to pay import duty but further investigation reveals they had PT address on documents, no UK tax, etc.
Yes you have it tough over the border but our laws are different.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would add that it is possible to MOT your foreign registered car in PT and if you want to obtain tax in PT.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

brodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of lightbrodev is a glorious beacon of light

www.ecarinsurance.co.uk is one answer to your request. Saga also offers 12 months green card but as you said you were moving in with your GF I presume you are under 50
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes but see the Key Facts - "Subject to your usual place of residence being in Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man. This extension is for travel purposes only."
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brodev
www.ecarinsurance.co.uk is one answer to your request. Saga also offers 12 months green card but as you said you were moving in with your GF I presume you are under 50
Why ............. can't over 50's have Girlfriends?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 10:55 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Why ............. can't over 50's have Girlfriends?
Yeah, don't you know age discrimination is illegal now?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:38 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TaviraTrog
Yeah, don't you know age discrimination is illegal now?
I am over 60 and have lots of girlfriends. ;-))
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:31 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
I am over 60 and have lots of girlfriends. ;-))
You said I was the only one :curse:
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:59 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: UK Car insurance companies offering 12 months green cards

Originally Posted by Cleri
You said I was the only one :curse:
And you believed him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.