Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Mar 2nd 2018, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Originally Posted by Diddion
My understanding is that interest, dividends and gains on shares do not qualify for NHR, so I fear that you’ll be in for a hefty tax bill, I’m afraid. I think you are looking at a figure of 28%........
Not quite. Interest is capped at 10% and dividends at 15% by the DTA. If these are paid to you from the UK then NHR will give you exemption as the DTA gives UK rights to the tax.

CGT however is different. According to the DTA only Portugal has taxing rights to it so NHR will give no relief. You will pay the same as local Portuguese at 28% with no deductions or exclusion amount.

This you can take as fact as the above has been my only income for 3 years and even though I have NHR status i have paid tax as per my explanation.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JohnsonN
And the interesting part is that just few hours ago one nice lawyer (100€ per hour and luxury office with sea view ) told me that WILL BE 0%
Strange. My nice Cross Border Tax Lawyer in Porto said it is 28% as did my Master Tax Consultant who confirmed it at the AT office in Lisbon.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 9:31 am
Just Joined

JohnsonN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Strange. My nice Cross Border Tax Lawyer in Porto said it is 28% as did my Master Tax Consultant who confirmed it at the AT office in Lisbon.
Unfortunately you are right. I was badly wanted to find some hope, but not. DDT USA-Portugal says that selling shares i will have to pay to my country of residence. So no hope anymore better find "better" place to live
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Netherlands has no capital gains tax, but does have a brutal [defacto] wealth tax. So move there, sell your shares, then move on.
Monaco is great for tax they say, but a broom closet there will cost you as much as a big villa in Portugal or Spain.
Cyprus is good for some types of income. It's al in the details.

You could buy a yacht and just keep moving I suppose.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

When my tax loss is used up I will be relocating.

Belgium 0%

Croatia 12%

Isle of Man 0%

Poland 19%

Spain 23%

UK £11,100 annual exemption
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:12 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
UK £11,100 annual exemption
You get a personal allowance and some other rebates if resident and not in the NHR regime in Portugal, too.

From your previous posts it sounds as though you might be getting the worst of all worlds at the moment.

Last edited by Red Eric; Mar 2nd 2018 at 11:57 am. Reason: Added quote to clarify to whom post was addressed.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You get a personal allowance and some other rebates if resident and not in the NHR regime in Portugal, too.

From your previous posts it sounds as though you might be getting the worst of all worlds at the moment.
Yes, i was mislead by few real estate agents and few lawyers. I was thinking about Malta, but now it is better to avoid any rush with decisions.
Basically my only income is dividends and then in 1-2 years i amgoing to sell my shares.
And yes, yacht would be a nice idea, but my kids have to be at school )))
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Monaco is too expensive for a large family
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 11:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, i was mislead by few real estate agents and few lawyers. I was thinking about Malta, but now it is better to avoid any rush with decisions.
Basically my only income is dividends and then in 1-2 years i amgoing to sell my shares.
And yes, yacht would be a nice idea, but my kids have to be at school )))
Too many ,far too many have been misled by estate agents claims.
If NHR is your only reason to move then take expert advice before even starting the property search..
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EMR
Too many ,far too many have been misled by estate agents claims.
If NHR is your only reason to move then take expert advice before even starting the property search..
Haha too late
And another news from our local army of lawyers. On today's consultation I was told that i can sell my shares in the USA and keep them there in the bank. And i will not have to declare anything bcs money didn't cross the border. Hmm
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:35 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Haha too late
And another news from our local army of lawyers. On today's consultation I was told that i can sell my shares in the USA and keep them there in the bank. And i will not have to declare anything bcs money didn't cross the border. Hmm
How will you account for your income on your PT tax return.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EMR
How will you account for your income on your PT tax return.
They suggest not to declare bcs i am a foreigner resident and if i have money outside- this is my own business..
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Haha too late
No no no my boy. It does not work like that. If you sell your shares and the money is made available to you then it is a tax event whether you keep the money in the US bank or not.

If you do not declare it in the year of sale one day you will have to and provide details and proof of purchase price and the sale price. The Sale Contract Note will show the date of sale and you will pay a penalty plus interest.

You have to declare your worldwide assets to the country of residence. Full stop. YOU my boy have sooo much to learn about life.

Last edited by Ukkram; Mar 2nd 2018 at 3:15 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:28 pm
EMR
Banned

They suggest not to declare bcs i am a foreigner resident and if i have money outside- this is my own business..

Oh if life was only that simple.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Guys, i am totally agree with you. The issue is that it was the answer of the lawer!! And i keep going, just want to find the one who knows the truth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.