Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

In this case I believe the issue is at the American end because, although the NHR program is available to US citizens, the American IRS will continue to tax them if overseas resident - hence no actual benefits. Those with sufficient capital can still take advantage of the other elements of the Golden Visa program. There is more about this here: the-washington-posts-financial-guide-to-retire-abroad/.

I think this is linked with the US FATCA rules (Forign Account Tax Compliance Act) with its onerous restrictions. Worth Googling this if you are non-American and are feeling less than kind about your own tax system - see how bad it can really be.
Old Sep 26th 2017, 7:49 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Is Madonna retiring?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

I am engaged to marry a Portuguese woman, make frequent visits to her home in the Porto area (but never longer than 3 months at a time or more than 183 days in any year), and plan to move full-time to Portugal at some point in the future at which time I expect to apply for NHR status (assuming it still exists). I believe I understand well the difference between residency and tax residency but I have a question that I am finding it very hard to answer because there seems to be lots of contradictory information about. Some sources state that to be eligible for NHR status, one must not have been a tax resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Other sources say that one must not have been a resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Can someone please tell me definitively which applies? Thank you.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sri Pete
I am engaged to marry a Portuguese woman, make frequent visits to her home in the Porto area (but never longer than 3 months at a time or more than 183 days in any year), and plan to move full-time to Portugal at some point in the future at which time I expect to apply for NHR status (assuming it still exists). I believe I understand well the difference between residency and tax residency but I have a question that I am finding it very hard to answer because there seems to be lots of contradictory information about. Some sources state that to be eligible for NHR status, one must not have been a tax resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Other sources say that one must not have been a resident of Portugal in any of the prior five years. Can someone please tell me definitively which applies? Thank you.
This is the guide from the Portuguese Tax authorities you can check definitions here but my understanding is not been resident . Quote from the guide :
"Has not been deemed resident on Portuguese territory during the five years prior
to the year pretended to be taxed as a non-regular resident.
"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
IRS_RNH_EN Finanzas Guide.pdf (1.40 MB, 128 views)
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This is the guide from the Portuguese Tax authorities you can check definitions here but my understanding is not been resident . Quote from the guide :
"Has not been deemed resident on Portuguese territory during the five years prior
to the year pretended to be taxed as a non-regular resident.
"
The ‘pretended’ bit flummoxed me. But all is now clear. The Portuguese verb Pretender is a bit of a false friend in English. Although it can mean pretend in English in certain circumstances, in this case it doesn’t. The real meaning is more ‘intended, sought, wanted or requested’. Now it makes sense.

Last edited by Jonny22; Oct 8th 2017 at 4:47 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that many applicants for the NHR scheme wish that it really did mean that they could pretend to be taxed.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks, new Brit in Portugal here! Looking forward to meeting some of you over time :-)

I submitted the amazingly simplistic online application for NHR on Friday around 3pm, and saw my status changed from pending to "deferido" - 'deferred' yesterday (Saturday), with the extra message '888 - SEM ATIVIDADE ELEVADO VALOR ACRESCENTADO' (No valued added activity).

Is it an outright rejection? Or does it really mean deferred and that I should just be patient?

The wording of the website says a decision will be reached in 48hrs, which has passed, but given nearly all of it has been outside standard office hours, I am still hoping it can change by Tuesday close of business.

Prior to registering residence last week, I had not lived in Portugal before, so I definitely meet the requirements of NHR.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Last edited by Ninmurai; Oct 22nd 2017 at 5:25 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

I can imagine that the 48 hours counts for working days only.
The message means maybe that you are not in the category employment with 20% tax.
Hope you will inform us when you have the confirmation!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ninmurai
Hi folks, new Brit in Portugal here! Looking forward to meeting some of you over time :-)

I submitted the amazingly simplistic online application for NHR on Friday around 3pm, and saw my status changed from pending to "deferido" - 'deferred' yesterday (Saturday), with the extra message '888 - SEM ATIVIDADE ELEVADO VALOR ACRESCENTADO' (No valued added activity).

Is it an outright rejection? Or does it really mean deferred and that I should just be patient?

The wording of the website says a decision will be reached in 48hrs, which has passed, but given nearly all of it has been outside standard office hours, I am still hoping it can change by Tuesday close of business.

Prior to registering residence last week, I had not lived in Portugal before, so I definitely meet the requirements of NHR.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
"Deferido" means it is approved. There should be a pdf which you can download which shows the NHR as being "activo" .
Under the "deferido" line should be the active dates - 2017 to 2026 in your case.
The economic activity classification should read " 888 outras actividades"

Last edited by Loafing Along; Oct 22nd 2017 at 5:37 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

deferido adjective, masculine
accepted
less common:
acceded
deferir algo a algo/alguém verb
grant sth. to sb./sth. v
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ninmurai is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Lightning fast responses - thank you everyone. It sounds like good news then, and to be doubly sure I'll wait until Tuesday anyway, but I think I can sleep easier tonight!

It is interesting then that the decision was granted on a Saturday, although if it's totally electronic then it doesn't surprise me.

Hopefully you will all hear from me in the near future. I'm a Chartered Engineer, structural engineer by profession and I just applied to Ordem dos Engenheiros last week so if any of you are buying a house and need a professional opinion (in English) on structural adequacy, I'll be glad to help out.

I'm also a iOS and web developer, so if any of you want an app or web page done, I'm your man!
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Sri Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, Loafing Along, for your response to my enquiry at #123. Makes my situation very clear.

In posting #121, Diddion states that, while NHR is available to Americans, it does not avail them anything. I do not want to start a big discussion about this because the matter is so complicated but, I believe the claim is not true. I should perhaps clarify that this affects me because, while I am a native-born Brit and hold a British passport, I am also a "naturalized" American citizen, a U.S. tax-payer and also have a U.S. passport. I have lived in the U.S. almost all my adult life and, when I migrate to Portugal, I will maintain my U.S. citizenship and continue paying taxes there. It may be that NHR does not typically benefit U.S. tax-payers as much as most but, since Portugal has a tax convention with the U.S. (so one can avoid double taxation), I do fully expect it to benefit me. Could there be something I am missing here? Does anyone know any Americans living in Portugal under NHR?
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Unfortunately the US has the most draconian tax laws and you will have to live with it. Wherever in the world you live and work you will pay tax to the the US to pay for the war costs.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, Sri Pete, I still believe I am right on this one, though am always willing to be corrected. The point is that the US has given itself the right to tax US individuals on their worldwide income and gains, which are reported to the American IRS under their FATCA rules. International institutions make such reports, because they can face huge financial penalties in the States if they fail to do so.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

My husband is American and I am British. Our pensions are deposited here through a bank in Ireland. My husband pays no US tax but I pay 20%, However, if I lived in the UK I would not pay US tax. My sister living in Germany did not have hers taxed but her German husband does. We do not file US tax returns as our pensions are small having only worked there in the 60s and 70s.

This may or may not help ...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno.../#6fef4d743799

Last edited by Sunseeker1st; Oct 23rd 2017 at 7:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.