Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Step by Step - Arrival in Portugal

but what is Increase in Wealth ?
Capital Gains
Thanks for the clarification.
On looking closer at the document, it says, for all these incomes:

are exempt if alternatively:
a) They are taxed by the source State/nation,

Does this not mean that they would have to be taxed in the UK to be exempt in Portugal?
Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ricko

Does this not mean that they would have to be taxed in the UK to be exempt in Portugal?
Check the phrasing because I believe the operative word is "could" but as a non-resident they should be taxed by the UK but will not be under double-taxation agreement.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's the snag. Normally Capital Gains are taxed by the country of residence only except for real estate where they're taxed first in the country where the property is located and then taxed by the country of residence, with any relevant Double Taxation Treaty dealing with any overlap.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ricko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond reputericko has a reputation beyond repute

Check the phrasing because I believe the operative word is "could" but as a non-resident they should be taxed by the UK but will not be under double-taxation agreement.

I cut and pasted the phrase from the document, so there was no "could"
suggested.

I think that's the snag. Normally Capital Gains are taxed by the country of residence only except for real estate where they're taxed first in the country where the property is located and then taxed by the country of residence, with any relevant Double Taxation Treaty dealing with any overlap.
The phrase at the top appeared for all types of income mentioned, not just capital gains.
There were a few links in this part of the document. I suspect these gave qualifications and clarifications. However, all of the links went to documents that were only in Portuguese.
Old Oct 27th 2017, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

... However, all of the links went to documents that were only in Portuguese.
That's another snag!
Old Oct 28th 2017, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

DTA UK - Portugal. Article 13.4 States:

//4. Gains from the alienation of any property other than those mentioned in paragraphs (1)
and (2), shall be taxable only in the Contracting State of which the alienator is a resident.//

The word "property" mentioned here includes investment securities and is only taxable by Portugal. This made me think that the Capital Gains I make are exempt having NHR status. It is not and 28% flat rate is payable. The same rate as local citizens.

So if you are a Category E taxpayer then NHR will not apply. I still don't get it.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

So if you are a Category E taxpayer then NHR will not apply. I still don't get it.
If Category E (Capital Income), means Bank Interest and Company Dividends, then are you saying that you would pay tax in both the UK and Portugal?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

If Category E (Capital Income), means Bank Interest and Company Dividends, then are you saying that you would pay tax in both the UK and Portugal?
No, these are tax exempt in Portugal under RNH.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Category E in my case is Capital Income from gains made in investments or Capital Gains Tax. The Dividends are withheld at source and capped by the DTA at 15%.

PT AT has billed me €11k for a gain I made when I switched from one company to another even though I have NHR status.
This is because the DTA states that Capital Gains are taxed in the country of residence ie in PT.
Old Oct 30th 2017, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

UK Bank Interest and UK Company Dividends are not generally subject to any withholding tax for non-residents. Does this mean that 'UK-sourced' income of this kind is therefore taxed in Portugal, even with NHR?
Old Oct 30th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
UK Bank Interest and UK Company Dividends are not generally subject to any withholding tax for non-residents. Does this mean that 'UK-sourced' income of this kind is therefore taxed in Portugal, even with NHR?
I am aware that the UK tax on Dividends and Interest are taxed differently to South Africa where I get my income from but Capital Gains are taxed only by Portugal whether it is earned in the UK or SA. Both DTA's are the same on this matter as are most western countries.

UK uses the RESIDENCE clause in the DTA as shown in post 156. So having NHR will not apply.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
The NHR process is well-documented on various threads so a summary :

1. You need a Portuguese fiscal number and an address

2.You register on the Portuguese Tax Authorities website :https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/home.action

3. When registered they will send to your home address a confirmation with a password

4. You go to the section : https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt...action?pai=154

Headed up "Cidadaos , Entregar "

Scroll down to "pedido" - Inscriçao de residente nao habitual

When you click on it you will be asked for your Fiscal Number and your password
Follow it from there.
Thanks a lot for your detailed info concerning of how to register for the RNH.

To register at the tax authorities in order to obtain a password, can you remember how to do this online? I cannot find the right category. Or can I go to financas?

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2017, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pilou
Thanks a lot for your detailed info concerning of how to register for the RNH.

To register at the tax authorities in order to obtain a password, can you remember how to do this online? I cannot find the right category. Or can I go to financas?

Thanks
This link :
https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/home.action

Top line : Cidadaos - click

At the top of new page "É a 1º vez ..... in small type in that box is "registrar me" in blue, click will lead you to the form to fill out
Old Dec 10th 2017, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
This link :
https://www.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/pt/home.action

Top line : Cidadaos - click

At the top of new page "É a 1º vez ..... in small type in that box is "registrar me" in blue, click will lead you to the form to fill out
Many thanks for your quick response!
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

JohnsonN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone and thanks for sharing your experience!
Just received my residency in Portugal, visited Financas to consult reg to NHR, but didn't get any answer. Visited 2 different lawyers and got different answers. Please let me know if you know anything about my question
The financial situation is like this:
1. I have shares of one American company and get dividends every quarter.
Will it be an exemption under NHR?
2. I am planning to sell these shares in the future but unsure about taxes also.
Any ideas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.