Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Relocating to Lisbon

Relocating to Lisbon

Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

toots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond reputetoots sweet has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Relocating to Lisbon

Yes .. try that. Have just looked at AIRBNB for areas just north of Lisbon centre up towards Vila Franca da Xira. Some rooms,small aprtments available for just over £20 per night. If you see something that appeals book it for a week and if it suits you ,negotiate with the owner for a longer term rental. In such dire times,I'm sure you'd be successful in getting a good deal(sad to say I know),but to get al ong term rent now that winter is on the way could help a Portuguese family out over the winter period.
Old Sep 18th 2020, 3:46 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
I'm going to take issue with this.

It really isn't any more difficult a language than any other of the European languages with which English has common roots, and is a darned sight easier on those grounds alone than any completely unrelated language. There are very few sounds (a couple of nasal vowels / diphthongs being the exception) that do not occur in spoken English, and the grammar is broadly similar to that of other romance languages and to English.

Any language is difficult to pick up from scratch when you're an adult but Portuguese is not exceptional in any way and is a darned sight easier for an English speaker to get a handle on than many another. At least you don't have to sing it (like Italian ).
Going a bit off-topic, English grammar may be broadly similar to Portuguese, but it doesn't have genders or declensions, and has much simpler verb conjugations. The OP knows German, so appreciates the difficulties ahead.... He's young, and I wish him all the best!
Old Sep 19th 2020, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of things if you haven't already done - Either using your UK address or AirBnB - if they agree - get a NIF (tax number) and local bank account (search on this forum is unsure how to do) get a PAYG Portuguese sim in your unlocked duel sim phone as locals are more relaxed calling a Portuguese number then an overseas number, get some calling cards printed (blank on one side to write your local address on so Portuguese don't get your email/phone wrong, print a few short basic CV's, go into any agency you can find and say you are ready to start work, go into estate agents and ask about cheap rentals as they should know stuff about the local area they cover.
Old Sep 19th 2020, 8:44 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

The objective fact is, that you CANNOT afford to rent your own place, given that you have limited savings and NO work income as yet. ( Don't forget that to the headline rentals for flats must be added all the bills, not to mention they will ALL require at least two months deposit, local Guarantor, prrof of income and all the rest. ) It's just NOT going to happen.

Therefore rent a ROOM in a shared flat. For a month.

Agencies offer these. The going rate in Lisbon is €350 to €400 ish per cal month, with bills included. And the formalities are a bit more relaxed.

https://www.idealista.pt/arrendar-qu...,genero_rapaz/

Just rent one of these rooms for ONE month for starters. yes they prefer longer rentals but everything's a market and you can negotiate and just explain that you can commit to only one month but are happy to pay that month in advance. Make sure all bills are included. They normally are for simplicity. Check the wifi.

No reason why you cannot negotiate such a rental to start on the day you arrive - thus saving a couple of days on Band B. And lugging cases around.

This way you have a specific street address from the start and time enough to establish official residency in Portugal, obtain NIF, obtain cheapo PAYG mobile.

Thus you have a month for starters when you can do all the self installing business and get on with looking for some kind of income. If you can get into the main University buildings you could try and find the student noticeboards for room rentals ( ie with PORTUGUESE students ) and casual jobs and so on. ALSO at the University building ( at the top of the Alameda da Universidade) ask in the Reitoria about the Curso de Portugues para Estrangeiros. See if it's still running.

The University PROPINAS are CHEAP., even though they have highly qualified academics teaching them. Private lessons are NOT CHEAP. You decide which you prefer ( IF the UNIV ones are still available ).

Apart from looking for work in Portugal - what about all these 'working from home' jobs people are supposedto be doing now all over the UK ?
maybe you could get, in the UK, a job which could be done from a computer in Portugal ? Perhaps with the odd visit to UK once a month or whatever ?

But get installed in Portugal / Lisbon first, if that is what you want, what you really really want. ? lol.

Old Sep 19th 2020, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a bit technical and have a bit of time then you could see if it's possible to set yourself up as an "agent" to assist (particularly foreign property owners) in looking after properties during their owners absence. Checking, arranging stuff like minor repairs, basic gardening, occasional cleaning etc,
Old Sep 20th 2020, 10:53 am
Just Joined

AaronTravel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coleio
A couple of things if you haven't already done - Either using your UK address or AirBnB - if they agree - get a NIF (tax number) and local bank account (search on this forum is unsure how to do) get a PAYG Portuguese sim in your unlocked duel sim phone as locals are more relaxed calling a Portuguese number then an overseas number, get some calling cards printed (blank on one side to write your local address on so Portuguese don't get your email/phone wrong, print a few short basic CV's, go into any agency you can find and say you are ready to start work, go into estate agents and ask about cheap rentals as they should know stuff about the local area they cover.
Ok thanks, in regards to getting a NIF, can that be done from the UK before I arrive or would I need to apply for it once in Portugal?
Old Sep 20th 2020, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by riv
The objective fact is, that you CANNOT afford to rent your own place, given that you have limited savings and NO work income as yet. ( Don't forget that to the headline rentals for flats must be added all the bills, not to mention they will ALL require at least two months deposit, local Guarantor, prrof of income and all the rest. ) It's just NOT going to happen.

Therefore rent a ROOM in a shared flat. For a month.

Agencies offer these. The going rate in Lisbon is €350 to €400 ish per cal month, with bills included. And the formalities are a bit more relaxed.

https://www.idealista.pt/arrendar-qu...,genero_rapaz/

Just rent one of these rooms for ONE month for starters. yes they prefer longer rentals but everything's a market and you can negotiate and just explain that you can commit to only one month but are happy to pay that month in advance. Make sure all bills are included. They normally are for simplicity. Check the wifi.

No reason why you cannot negotiate such a rental to start on the day you arrive - thus saving a couple of days on Band B. And lugging cases around.

This way you have a specific street address from the start and time enough to establish official residency in Portugal, obtain NIF, obtain cheapo PAYG mobile.

Thus you have a month for starters when you can do all the self installing business and get on with looking for some kind of income. If you can get into the main University buildings you could try and find the student noticeboards for room rentals ( ie with PORTUGUESE students ) and casual jobs and so on. ALSO at the University building ( at the top of the Alameda da Universidade) ask in the Reitoria about the Curso de Portugues para Estrangeiros. See if it's still running.

The University PROPINAS are CHEAP., even though they have highly qualified academics teaching them. Private lessons are NOT CHEAP. You decide which you prefer ( IF the UNIV ones are still available ).

Apart from looking for work in Portugal - what about all these 'working from home' jobs people are supposedto be doing now all over the UK ?
maybe you could get, in the UK, a job which could be done from a computer in Portugal ? Perhaps with the odd visit to UK once a month or whatever ?

But get installed in Portugal / Lisbon first, if that is what you want, what you really really want. ? lol.
Thanks again for the above info!
I would love to live the digital nomad life, that would be the dream! If only it was that easy, I think most of the people who are working from home here will eventually go back to working in office when things eventually get back to some sort of normality. Although I think remote work is the way forward personally.

If I had been lucky enough to have a job which just requires a laptop and a decent internet connection I think I’d be in Lisbon already
Old Sep 20th 2020, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AaronTravel
I would love to live the digital nomad life, that would be the dream! If only it was that easy, I think most of the people who are working from home here will eventually go back to working in office when things eventually get back to some sort of normality. Although I think remote work is the way forward personally.

If I had been lucky enough to have a job which just requires a laptop and a decent internet connection I think I’d be in Lisbon already
Another point is that many companies would not allow you to work in Portugal or abroad, unless it's a short period of time, or specifically written in the contract. Apart from tax, you have employment laws (local policies, social security liability, etc.).
Old Sep 29th 2020, 8:00 am
riv
BE Enthusiast

riv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond reputeriv has a reputation beyond repute

SO............What did you do in the end ??

Old Sep 29th 2020, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by riv
SO............What did you do in the end ??
I’ve got a telephone interview with ICX europe on Friday afternoon which I’m looking forward too!

But, in Cardiff where I’m currently living has been put back into lockdown due to rising cases... so this does complicate things a little, obviously things can change very quickly so we’ll see what happens!
Old Oct 1st 2020, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks, in regards to getting a NIF, can that be done from the UK before I arrive or would I need to apply for it once in Portugal?
Can do it from UK. You supply evidence of your UK address (official bill for e.g.) and your passport. Scan both these and send to any financas office with a polite request, maybe in Portuguese too, using the googl translate. You'll get a non-resident NIF which you can change to resident when/if you get a PT address etc. I did this process via Portimao financas and got my NIF in pdf in 24hrs. The paper copy arrived at my address in 7 days. If you wish to request from a Lisbon office, I'm sure someone on here can offer an email. I think it makes no difference where you get it from.
(Portimao financas email - [email protected] )
Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

FiftyShadesMCFC is an unknown quantity at this point

good luck to you my friend

i am actually moving to portugal a week today from the uk was going to do the 3 months in 180 days thing but just going for it, especially with brexit deadline and get the residency done and dusted. So maybe see you one day good luck!
Old Oct 6th 2020, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FiftyShadesMCFC
good luck to you my friend

i am actually moving to portugal a week today from the uk was going to do the 3 months in 180 days thing but just going for it, especially with brexit deadline and get the residency done and dusted. So maybe see you one day good luck!
Thank you! That’s amazing

Have you got a job sorted over there already? And what is it you’re doing if you don’t mind me asking?
One more question, are you renting a shared space or getting your own place?

Good luck with the move, love to hear when people take a chance on things and go for it, so al the best with everything! If all goes well my end maybe meet up for a beer if I make it over there, even though your a City fan!!

Old Oct 6th 2020, 11:05 am
Just Joined

FiftyShadesMCFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you! That’s amazing

Have you got a job sorted over there already? And what is it you’re doing if you don’t mind me asking?
One more question, are you renting a shared space or getting your own place?

Good luck with the move, love to hear when people take a chance on things and go for it, so al the best with everything! If all goes well my end maybe meet up for a beer if I make it over there, even though your a City fan!!
im a professional gambler so im lucky in that fact i can go wherever i want i am doing airbnb until june then will rent a year before buying property. And yes of course i will stand u up a beer haha
Old Oct 7th 2020, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by FiftyShadesMCFC
im a professional gambler so im lucky in that fact i can go wherever i want i am doing airbnb until june then will rent a year before buying property. And yes of course i will stand u up a beer haha
Wow that is fortunate! Nice, enjoy mate!