Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

new EDP prices from jan 2023

new EDP prices from jan 2023

Old Feb 9th 2023, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

sportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond reputesportpix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new EDP prices from jan 2023

Originally Posted by Leo1
Thats what i have done. My old fridge consumed 1,5 kwh every 24 hours. The new, bigger one, only needs 0,35 kwh over 24 hours. An enormous saving therefore.
And dont forget , that you pay a "Taxa 'Base" each month, depending on the total Capacaty of your power connection. Within 10 weeks only this already will easily cost you about 20 €.
According to my bill, the electricity used cost 17.7, the service charge was 6.42 and the VAT was 7.6. Sounds like that fridge is working overtime ...
Old Feb 10th 2023, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

wellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond reputewellinever has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportpix
Mmmm. Not sure about all the numbers stated in all of the previous posts but I've just received my latest electric bill for 31 euros and I've been away for 10 weeks! The only electricity-sucking device being used is the fridge. This sounds extraordinarily high for just one device.Should I change my fridge...?
my side by side fridge/freezer is 18 months old, and according to the details uses 1Kw in 24 hours. Leave on Holiday mode when away and uses virtually nowt, as it turns off the fridge part, leaving freezer only (but assumes that no one opens the door).
Old Feb 10th 2023, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leo1
My old fridge consumed 1,5 kwh every 24 hours. The new, bigger one, only needs 0,35 kwh over 24 hours. An enormous saving therefore.
What make and model is that? My Samsung uses about 0.050 kW/h so therefore about 1.2kW/day, it's only about 12 years old so not planning to change it and I cannot see any models that would run at the efficiency you are quoting? How do you measure the power consumption of yours? I get my figures from the solar control system which measures all of my production/consumption.

"If you will get different information from EDP later, please let me know."
I got a standard reply from EDP when I queried the cost of my kW/h from 1st January and it just said all tariffs were correctly applied without giving any details. So pretty much a waste of time querying EDP. I am happy it has not increased for now. Lets see what comes in April
Old Feb 10th 2023, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Leo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

First thanks for the Info about EDP

Fridge:

Make Bosch, Model KIA18A75. Not shure about the model anymore. It is the only info i found now on a sticker inside.

I got the fridge second hand, but i informed myself before bying about the consumption. Bosch said: 0,3kwh in 24 Hours. So i bought it. Important to me was as well the fact, that the fridge is ready for a hot climate, as we have it here, down in Portugal. So check the climate classification of your fridge. Maybe it is not good for hot temperaturs and this might be a reason for overconsumption.

I have measured the consumption over a perid of several month with a meter, only connectet to the fridge, and in fact, the fridge needs a little bit more. But 0,35kwh in 24 hours is o.k.
Old Feb 10th 2023, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

1Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Well that seems to be quite a remarkable fridge you have there. The best Bosch I can find online for a 326L fridge quotes a consumption of 238 kW/year, I am not sure if that is for normal use accounting for opening and closing doors and loading fresh produce into the fridge. Pretty sure they are stating perfect running conditions so I would add about 100kW on to that to be more realistic. My fridge was bought in Spain so it is up to the job and my kitchen is cool all year round as it does not get any sun. So a 1.2kW/day is an acceptable power consumption and buying a 700 euro fridge to save approximately 20 euros on electricity a year does not make sense to me. If it ever fails to keep the beer cold it will get thrown on the skip though
Old Feb 11th 2023, 6:07 am
Just Joined

Leo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, i agree. You are perfectly right.
So let me add, that my fridge is much smaller. (But still a bit oversized for a single household.) I got it for 20,-€. Came in from Germany, where it seems to be common that you have to buy something new all the time and then have a problem getting rid of the old stuff that is still good and perfectly fine.