Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Moving to portugal and Brexit...

Moving to portugal and Brexit...

Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:25 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to portugal and Brexit...

Be aware that being Tax-resident in Portugal means that your worldwide income is taxable - things like ISAs, etc. aren't recognized (so are taxable) and there is no Capital Gains allowance - so any profits on the sale of your house would be taxable too.... So I'd agree, you need to talk to an expert sooner rather than later. Dennis Swing Greene of Eurofinesco is worth a try, he has lived here for many, many years and is well up on the Portuguese tax system.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Be aware that being Tax-resident in Portugal means that your worldwide income is taxable - things like ISAs, etc. aren't recognized (so are taxable)
We have UK Premium Bonds that we were thinking of keeping on when we move over in January.
You can keep them when moving abroad, you just can't buy any new ones. They will even pay winnings directly into a foreign bank account.
But I've read that winnings from things like the lotto are quite heavily taxed in Portugal so I guess Premium Bond winnings will be too
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:49 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robodelfy
So red eric, that is quite a bonus for the NHR scheme. If I read you correctly, you could be on the NHR scheme for 5 years, leave portugal for 10 years, come back and still have 5 years on the NHR scheme....if it still exists!
No, that's not it.

It's granted for 10 years - so suppose you had applied and it was granted to apply until end of 2026 tax year, then you left for a year or more in 2019 and subsequently returned, you could still retain the status on return for declarations up to 2026's.
Old Apr 9th 2017, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

robodelfy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rederic

Ok thanks, I understand. So it keeps running even if you leave, but doesn't get terminated. Thats still good.

I didnt think about getting taxed for selling my house! That would be a nightmare to get taxed on that in two countries. I dont have any immediate plans to sell my house, but at some point it will happen.

I hadnt considered any of these tax issues when considering moving, it's been a sobering thread!

It seems like Eurofinesco would be worth getting in touch with
Old Apr 9th 2017, 12:32 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robodelfy
I didnt think about getting taxed for selling my house! That would be a nightmare to get taxed on that in two countries. I dont have any immediate plans to sell my house, but at some point it will happen.
If you live in Pt and are selling a UK property, the UK will have first claim but you can claim the personal allowance. You would normally declare the gain and the tax paid to the PT authorities, who would calculate whether there is a difference payable to them, HOWEVER if you were still protected by the NHR, you wouldn't pay PT Capital Gains Tax as you'd be exempt.
Old May 9th 2017, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Zip13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if elements of my question have been answered elsewhere but can anyone help me with below please?

My wife and I (both British) have travelled to Portugal regularly for short breaks. In April 2016 (me) August 16 (my wife) obtained our NIFs.

We are just completing house purchase (16th May 17) and plan to visit frequently while my wife continues to work in UK. I intend to spend time renovating which could amount to over 180 days certainly in first year.

I have 10 days booked in May to get keys and will go back to Portugal for whole of June, after that probably September. Can I apply for the three months residency on either of these two shorter trips? can I apply after for the one year extension regardless of coming and going as long as it totals a certain number of days out of that year?

As my wife will not be able to spend 180 days in any year before retirement can she still apply or would she have rights based on my status?

Thanks
Old May 9th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

The official rule is you may not apply until you've been here for 3 months but must apply before the end of the 4th month and that first permit will be valid for 5 years.

You obtain the first permit from your local Camara & you need to show your passport, fiscal document & provide an address but not necessarily a Portuguese address.

Note I mentioned the 'official rule' - unofficially, it's not unheard of for some Camaras to be willing to issue that first permit before the 3 months have expired.

3 months before the first 5 year residencia expires you are supposed to apply to SEF for an appointment and then they give you a 10 year permit.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:59 am
Polished expat

My advice would be don't apply for a certificate of residency before you make your final move and, if possible, stay within all the limits to avoid being legally required to do so.

Also be careful with the total number of days spent in Portugal per year until you make the move. 183 or more and you're deemed tax resident.

As far as I'm aware there's nothing official at all about not being able to register immediately when you do eventually move over for good. It's simply that you have up to 90 days as an EU citizen and tourist without having to do anything and then a further 30 days grace period in which to register if your stay is longer (ie you have to do it by x days rather than you can't do it before x days).
Old May 17th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Went to the Finanças yesterday to get an uncle a nIF as he wants to open a bank account here in Portugal, when asked which country we were told "he'll need a sponsor", I asked why and the response was "you are no longer part of the EU", I obviously pointed out Brexit has not happened yet and she said "but you are leaving!". Honestly, she was acting like a jilted lover who had just been dumped! As it turns out my uncle never brought proof of his address so we'll go back today and see if we get the same s#it! Just shows though... Brexit will have an affect!

Last edited by gedscottish; May 17th 2017 at 9:50 am.
Old May 17th 2017, 9:58 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Went to the Finanças yesterday to get an uncle a nIF as he wants to open a bank account here in Portugal, when asked which country we were told "he'll need a sponsor", I asked why and the response was "you are no longer part of the EU", I obviously pointed out Brexit has not happened yet and she said "but you are leaving!". Honestly, she was acting like a jilted lover who had just been dumped! As it turns out my uncle never brought proof of his address so we'll go back today and see if we get the same s#it! Just shows though... Brexit will have an affect!
Sounds like the usual fare - there are rules for EU citizens and rules for non-EU citizens, but which camp you fall into depends on the person you're dealing with. So, better luck today - and if the same s#it occurs, ask to be shown the directive which excludes UK citizens.

If this was official Finanças policy, they'd get a slapping because the UK is still a member state until it leaves, UK citizens are EU citizens until told otherwise and all EU citizens must be treated equally...... this isn't something that either Portugal or any other state can decide arbitrarily.

Not so much Brexit as another example of a Portuguese bureaucrat interpreting the rules according to their star sign. Good Luck
Old May 17th 2017, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by macliam
Sounds like the usual fare - there are rules for EU citizens and rules for non-EU citizens, but which camp you fall into depends on the person you're dealing with. So, better luck today - and if the same s#it occurs, ask to be shown the directive which excludes UK citizens.

If this was official Finanças policy, they'd get a slapping because the UK is still a member state until it leaves, UK citizens are EU citizens until told otherwise and all EU citizens must be treated equally...... this isn't something that either Portugal or any other state can decide arbitrarily.

Not so much Brexit as another example of a Portuguese bureaucrat interpreting the rules according to their star sign. Good Luck
Today we got someone else, lovely woman, no problem and no mention of it until Missy came over to stick her nose in half way through and asked why he wanted a NIF, if "it was so he could work". I told her it's just so he could open a bank account and she said "oh that's ok then, he does not need a sponsor". I reminded her once again that the UK was still part of the EU and she just replied "it's not me who makes the rules" and I missed my big chance to say "EXACTLY" as she walked away back to her post.
Old May 17th 2017, 2:59 pm
Resident Cynic

Today we got someone else, lovely woman, no problem and no mention of it until Missy came over to stick her nose in half way through and asked why he wanted a NIF, if "it was so he could work". I told her it's just so he could open a bank account and she said "oh that's ok then, he does not need a sponsor". I reminded her once again that the UK was still part of the EU and she just replied "it's not me who makes the rules" and I missed my big chance to say "EXACTLY" as she walked away back to her post.
So, no Christmas card for her, I'm guessing?
Old May 17th 2017, 4:43 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she has a relatimer working in the NHS in the UK concerned about her future who sends her anti migrant headlines from the UK brexit press
Old May 20th 2017, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

SgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond reputeSgtTroy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Maybe she has a relatimer working in the NHS in the UK concerned about her future who sends her anti migrant headlines from the UK brexit press

Guys, with the hostility towards (EU-)foreigners in (most of) the British press, this comes hardly as a surprise...what goes around comes around after all.
But indeed, up until the date, and I mean the formal date the UK ceases to be an EU member, there shouldn't be any discriminatory treatment of UK citizens in any EU country. And vice versa, of course.

My guess is that after all even after the formal Brexit date, there would be a long, possibly 5 years, transitional period, so that anyone who has settled elsewhere before that date will have enough time to acquire permanent residence, and of course to keep all their rights regarding employment, etc.
Old May 20th 2017, 9:43 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SgtTroy
Guys, with the hostility towards (EU-)foreigners in (most of) the British press, this comes hardly as a surprise...what goes around comes around after all.
But indeed, up until the date, and I mean the formal date the UK ceases to be an EU member, there shouldn't be any discriminatory treatment of UK citizens in any EU country. And vice versa, of course.

My guess is that after all even after the formal Brexit date, there would be a long, possibly 5 years, transitional period, so that anyone who has settled elsewhere before that date will have enough time to acquire permanent residence, and of course to keep all their rights regarding employment, etc.
We can but hope that election rhetoric in The UK is replaced by what is in the best interests of migrants in the UK and UK citizens in the EU.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.