Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Wikiposts

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

The Concierge my pay the cleaner cash but then he/she has to pay for cleaning materials, transporting the cleaner, income tax and caixa (social security).

The concierge will then have to visit the property to check that it is in order.

And remember that caixa has to be paid all year around, not just during the season!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

It should not be hard to work out how much to offer a cleaner.
Minimum pay per month Portugal for workers with contract is €485 for a 40 hour week.

Unemployment is 15% and increasing.

Even more stringent labour laws coming in 1st August mean workers have even less minimum rights and job security Overtime and weekend work rates are slashed together with reduced holiday pay.

Lets look at the vast majority down here who work in the service sector casual, part-time and within the black economy. Cash in hand. and tax free.

Its a case of a few hours irregular work per day, take it or leave it, €3 max/hour. Of course on top of a subsistence allowance called unemployment benefit and providing they have paid enough prior contributions.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tombo
Minimum pay per month Portugal for workers with contract is €485 for a 40 hour week.

Even more stringent labour laws coming in 1st August mean workers have even less minimum rights and job security Overtime and weekend work rates are slashed together with reduced holiday pay.

Lets look at the vast majority down here who work in the service sector casual, part-time and within the black economy. Cash in hand. and tax free.

Its a case of a few hours irregular work per day, take it or leave it, €3 max/hour. Of course on top of a subsistence allowance called unemployment benefit and providing they have paid enough prior contributions.
Not even worth comment!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steppitoe
Not even worth comment!

That's just what i mean the poor worker gets a few Euro and the rest is a rip off. How many times is there work checked to justify that 75€ fee?

Peter
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterfc
That's just what i mean the poor worker gets a few Euro and the rest is a rip off. How many times is there work checked to justify that 75€ fee?

Peter
Sorry to disagree Peter but I do not know anyone who would work for 3€ an hour
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

485€ per month divide by 160 hrs @ 40hrs per week = 3.03125 per hour.

That's the reality of it you and i wouldn't work for that but we aren't local Portuguese on a minimum wage.

Peter
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by peterfc
485€ per month divide by 160 hrs @ 40hrs per week = 3.03125 per hour.

That's the reality of it you and i wouldn't work for that but we aren't local Portuguese on a minimum wage.

Peter
Yes but as I said earlier most cleaners are not on salary. They only work part time and most of them in the summer only.

I do work here and understand how much you can or cannot earn and as I said, you would not get anyone to work for 3€ an hour on a casual basis.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Even if they have paid prior contributions the underemployment subsidy is only granted for about 3 years (a little more in special cases) after that you are in your own, as many, many are.

In these days, I am pretty sure that if you offer 3 Euro/hour you will get someone, the question is can you sleep well?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

If you ask the casual bar staff what they earn on a part-time basis then you
will find €3 is normal. I checked yesterday. Admittedly the girl I asked was
eastern European.

If word got around that that the gringo up the road was prepared to pay up to €10/hour for a cleaner then there would be a queue 1km long at my door.

I wouldn't be sleeping easily as I would be expecting to be burgled.

regards
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

As I posted previously, a guy I know works at the local GALP serving vehicle fuel, as it's not a self serve site and he earns about 500€ per month for a 6 day week. Not sure how many hours but I reckon it equates to what is being quoted in other posts, about 3€ per hour.

He's just glad to have a regular job.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

http://www.cmjornal.xl.pt/

A timely article in todays Correio da Manha. page 16.
National Health Nursing staff €3.96 Nutritionists €4.53./hour

Perhaps Troia may enlighten us further.?

It looks like the problem down here with our web subscribers is that they,
like Cameron and his millionaire cabinet members back in the UK have no idea about what is happening at street level and have no idea about life outside the SE of England. They are just completely out of touch.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

I think you may wish to consider curbing your tongue, assuming that all subscribers to this thread do not work or have workers, a very big and ignorant assumption indeed!!
Old Jul 9th 2012, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

http://algarvedailynews.com/news/698...ase-in-numbers

Guess this backs up my earlier comments.
regards
Old Jul 9th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

There's also a piece in the Portugal news this week that says new nurses are being offered contracts at under 4 per hour.
That's for trained, certified, nurses.
And the brain-drain accelerates...
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:28 pm
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Our concièrge has just recently decided that €8 per hour was an appropriate wage for a cleaner. So for seven hours on the job (no break) we are to pay her €56.

Give up teaching, and become a cleaner. You'll make twice the national average wage, and not pay a bean in taxes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.