Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Wikiposts

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:09 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Other factors that should be taken into account are reliability, honesty and integrity.

Also if not a resident, someone who cleans and prepares a house for the owners/visitors, lays out towels, linen and makes the beds up ready for arrival etc, although they might not be considered highly skilled, they are worth what an owner is prepared to pay for the service as well as peace of mind.
I agree largely, but we employ a concierge service for whom we pay rather heavily to check on quality of our accommodation and service provided for high season rental. peace of mind depends on the concierge service.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sir recorder
I agree largely, but we employ a concierge service for whom we pay rather heavily to check on quality of our accommodation and service provided for high season rental. peace of mind depends on the concierge service.
Of course, but if not acceptable, it's look around for a replacement, although that has its potential attendant risks
Old Jun 18th 2012, 2:36 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Other factors that should be taken into account are reliability, honesty and integrity.
In the past that's why you employed a "butler", a boutelier, someone who had the key to the wine cellar and could be "trusted" with its content.

http://www.punchcartoons.com/images/....12.24.712.jpg
Old Jun 19th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to all

I have to disagree that cleaning is not a skilled job. I have worked with all standards of cleaners since i have been doing this .
Some have used the same clothes for the tiolet and the kitchen, and have no idea of infection control.
Others have spilt water and left it, and the amount of cleaners that don't move furniture and clean behind it, is unbelievable.
I have been into "clean "houses that have mould in the fridge , "DNA" on the tiolet, and other none describables.
And people on holiday seem to forget basic hygiene standards, or perhaps this is how they live, god help them.
One of the worst things I have witnessed is , a group of grown men (golfers)
Staying in a very nice 4 bedroom villa, could not be bothered to buy loo rolls, once the supplies provided had run out , so they wiped their bums, in all the towels provided. needless to say they all went into a bag sack.
I have done the whole big career thing and earned a very good wage in the uk. I enjoy what I do and take a pride in it , but I have standards
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

lennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nicelennox is just really nice

VERY WELL SAID, and I am not a cleaner.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Arkright is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the questions is, are you living in the real world in PT? In small towns the Portuguese business owners pay low rates to their staff for quite responsible jobs. It's called the market rate.

A guy I know who works for GALP in a fuel service station only earns 500€ a month and works up to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Yes I live in Portugal in the real world, most of the staff they employ are family and are not in the system they are paid in kind with a roof over their head,meals and a small allowence. It is not the market rate. Compare the living standards in Lisbon and Porto for a true reflection.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs titleist
I have to disagree that cleaning is not a skilled job. I have worked with all standards of cleaners since i have been doing this .
Some have used the same clothes for the tiolet and the kitchen, and have no idea of infection control.
Others have spilt water and left it, and the amount of cleaners that don't move furniture and clean behind it, is unbelievable.
I have been into "clean "houses that have mould in the fridge , "DNA" on the tiolet, and other none describables.
And people on holiday seem to forget basic hygiene standards, or perhaps this is how they live, god help them.
One of the worst things I have witnessed is , a group of grown men (golfers)
Staying in a very nice 4 bedroom villa, could not be bothered to buy loo rolls, once the supplies provided had run out , so they wiped their bums, in all the towels provided. needless to say they all went into a bag sack.
I have done the whole big career thing and earned a very good wage in the uk. I enjoy what I do and take a pride in it , but I have standards
Totally agree with your post it is more than a skilled job to present a property to the correct standards all the observations you have made with regard to how it should be prepared are probably more important than the booking. I am aware of a similar experience with some guests in a property who were actually spoken to at the check in desk at the airport and 200 euro security deposit retained.
working on the basis of taking pride in your work I can only assume that you are providing standards above the experiences you have quoted therefore do not under value yourself.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Mrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to allMrs titleist is a name known to all

If my standards were as low as those I have quoted , I would give up now.Believe it or not , not everyone knows how to clean
I worked in the NHS for 30 years and trained when there was a real matron , MRSA was not even heard of, and nurses worked hard , not just do paperwork.
Anyhow my point is I know how to clean properly, and present a house that is pleasing for the clients, making them want to return.
If you pay peanuts you get monkey's , even in portugal, where wages are low.
If you offer a good , quality service, then you get the rewards.
I know I get paid well for portugal , and I pay well when I have to employ people, but I expect the same standards for those wages.
If I mess up , The owners dont get a rebook and no more work for me .
Simples
Old Jun 21st 2012, 1:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Arkright
I think the questions is, are you living in the real world in PT? In small towns the Portuguese business owners pay low rates to their staff for quite responsible jobs. It's called the market rate.

A guy I know who works for GALP in a fuel service station only earns 500€ a month and works up to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week.

Yes I live in Portugal in the real world, most of the staff they employ are family and are not in the system they are paid in kind with a roof over their head,meals and a small allowence. It is not the market rate. Compare the living standards in Lisbon and Porto for a true reflection.
Yep, I have the impression that upper middle class people with more money than common sense overpay their cleaners
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir recorder
Yep, I have the impression that upper middle class people with more money than common sense overpay their cleaners
Not me I am from a low working class background who appreciate people who provide a really good standard.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Arkright

Lisbon and Porto etc. are not IMO, a true reflection of PT standards of living across the country as a whole, and it's too much a generalisation to say most staff are family and are paid in kind. There are of course these situations, but GALP employees as an example, are certainly not family.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

4 euros an hour max, thats already above the min. wage! Arkright, has to be at the wind up with the 14 euro an hour suggestion... over 2k a month for a cleaner?! LOL And thats the real world?!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Scott, for 10 euros an hour I hope your cleaner looks like this...[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

tombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nicetombo is just really nice

there are some real mugs on this site and deserve to be taken to the cleaners.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Scott, for 10 euros an hour I hope your cleaner looks like this...http://<a href="http://i179.photobuc...leaner.jpg</a>
Actually, ours is a looker, but doesn't have uniform like that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.