Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Old Jun 24th 2012, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House Cleaners' Rates of Pay

Originally Posted by bejaboz
Actually, ours is a looker, but doesn't have uniform like that
Lucky Boy she doesn't wear a uniform. You mean nothing?

Peter
Old Jun 24th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by peterfc
Lucky Boy she doesn't wear a uniform. You mean nothing?

Peter
No Peter,

Something much more modest
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bejaboz
No Peter,

Something much more modest
All the more for the imagination!
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedscottish
All the more for the imagination!
Usually, far better than reality
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:26 pm
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

The price of anything is what one person is prepared to pay and the other person is prepared to except.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Directly comparing cleaner rates with what someone with a full time contract earns is not truly representative. A contracted worker will have tax and national insurance paid and will qualify for sick pay and holiday pay. More importantly they will have a degree of security. I would much rather have a regular income going into the bank each and every month, especially in these uncertain times.
We have worked with a number of cleaners over the years and quite frankly if you find a good one it is worth rewarding them. Trusting that you can walk into a property that is spotless and ready to go and all you have to do is say thank you to your team is worth it. Walking in and finding you have to do a 60 minute make over in the time it takes the Clients to drive from the airport is no fun. It also helps it they are bi-lingual'ish and can help the Clients.
Sometimes it is not worth cutting costs just for the sake of it.
If we had a domestic cleaner I would take the same view. I would love to come home from work, kick off my shoes and not have to worry about cleaning.....
Old Jul 1st 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

domestic cleaners are a special service provider: IMHO there should exist a emotional connection with her/him. After all this is the person that will make the bed you sleep on, and tuck away your toothbrush.

If you find one that is good just keep her/him as a treasure...
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 12:56 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Troia
domestic cleaners are a special service provider: IMHO there should exist a emotional connection with her/him. After all this is the person that will make the bed you sleep on, and tuck away your toothbrush.

If you find one that is good just keep her/him as a treasure...
Heavens. It sounds as if you have taken a wife into full domestic service.

In my experience, pretty cleaners are pretty useless. They don't work very hard and often think that their beauty adds value to their wage. Bah!

Never form an emotional relationship with a domestic. You are asking for trouble.

The best cleaners we ever employed came from the Tokaj region in badly economically-hit Hungary. Their average age was 50. They accepted low wages. Never grudgingly worked long hours. Did a brilliant job
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Troia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really niceTroia is just really nice

Now, that is what is going to happen to you if you don´t treat well your cleaner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SCA...C6A3B9B6092B67
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:35 am
Banned

sir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the roughsir recorder is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Troia
Now, that is what is going to happen to you if you don´t treat well your cleaner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53SCA...C6A3B9B6092B67
Silly girl forgot to use the toothpaste with whitener.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Squidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really niceSquidlydidly is just really nice

Originally Posted by sir recorder

The best cleaners we ever employed came from the Tokaj region in badly economically-hit Hungary. Their average age was 50. They accepted low wages. Never grudgingly worked long hours. Did a brilliant job

Got to be cheaper to employ a cleaner more local to Portugal though surely.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I've never employed a cleaner in Portugal, but I have in a few other countries.
My experience wasn't very positive; sometimes I wasted more time dealing with the cleaner than I would have taken doing the work myself; mostly, the work was simply inadequate.
I had tenants in rental properties hire "professionals" to do the handover cleaning. In 10 cases, 1 time the work was really good, and I didn't need to do anything. In the worst case, I had to do about 20 hours after the "professionals" had done their work. No one was happy.

When I had a cleaner for my own place, I found myself waiting for her to show up, and my personal schedule ended up working around the cleaner's schedule. I fired her and just did it myself. Not as often perhaps.
I really don't like cleaning, but for me it beats dealing with employees.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

steppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of lightsteppitoe is a glorious beacon of light

As always, rates depend on whether you employ someone the whole year around or on an ad hoc basis for rentals.

You cannot compare the two as there is no security or holiday pay for a summer only cleaner.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by steppitoe
As always, rates depend on whether you employ someone the whole year around or on an ad hoc basis for rentals.

You cannot compare the two as there is no security or holiday pay for a summer only cleaner.
In our case it is our concierge service, our agent, who employs the cleaner during summer lets. Of course the agent rips the cleaner off by charging us €75 to clean our apartment after a handover. It's practically certain the cleaner they engage doesn't get the lion's share of this.

But if we engage the cleaner by ourselves without our concierge's assistance, what then?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

What a rip off. You can bet the cleaner gets less than 20€ more like national wage per hour for the hours worked. How many hours does it take to clean an apartment? times national wage rate.

Peter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.