Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Nov 12th 2020, 11:51 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
I’m pretty sure I know the answer to this but need to double-check. I just called my private clinic to make an appointment to see the general dr for the medical exam to exchange my U.K. licence. The receptionist told me I don’t need to see the dr but an optometrist. I am going to call back again when the English-speaking receptionist is there, but what does anyone think? Am I correct to insist it’s a dr I need? I am only in my mid-40s, if this makes a difference.
I saw a general doctor who also did an eye test. Actually, a nurse took my blood pressure, and asked me some questions and did an eye test, then I was taken to a doctor who asked me some more general health questions and then issued the certificate. It was uploaded directly to IMT and I was given a printed copy of the certificate. It sounds like your private clinic is mistaken, I would try another one, I searched on google for a clinic that does exams for driving licences.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
I saw a general doctor who also did an eye test. Actually, a nurse took my blood pressure, and asked me some questions and did an eye test, then I was taken to a doctor who asked me some more general health questions and then issued the certificate. It was uploaded directly to IMT and I was given a printed copy of the certificate. It sounds like your private clinic is mistaken, I would try another one, I searched on google for a clinic that does exams for driving licences.
Thank you, cfs. Yes; I think the receptionist is misinformed. I will try the other receptionist but, yes, otherwise, I will try a different clinic.

Does anyone have knowledge of this online service to obtain the Atestado Médico Electrónico? The header refers to being for renewing licences but further down it seems to say it’s also suitable for those obtaining their first licence, which surely must be comparable with exchange?...
https://dronline.pt/revalidacao-cart...reviews-page=3
I have emailed them to ask if it’s applicable to exchange and will let others know - if it works, it sounds very handy, not having to leave the house!
Old Nov 12th 2020, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

That was a quick response! Which was:Sim, o atestado médico é válido para substituição de carta estrangeira para portuguesa.

O atestado é automaticamente enviado para o IMT.

So, so say, yes; it is valid for exchange of licence.

I think I might give it a go!
Old Nov 12th 2020, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, cfs. Yes; I think the receptionist is misinformed. I will try the other receptionist but, yes, otherwise, I will try a different clinic.

Does anyone have knowledge of this online service to obtain the Atestado Médico Electrónico? The header refers to being for renewing licences but further down it seems to say it’s also suitable for those obtaining their first licence, which surely must be comparable with exchange?...
I have emailed them to ask if it’s applicable to exchange and will let others know - if it works, it sounds very handy, not having to leave the house!
The online system has replaced the initial visit to an IMT office and it is for exchange of foreign licences as well as for new licences. Are you looking at the version in English? Although you start off the exchange online, you will eventually have to go in to an IMT office for the photograph and to hand over your UK licence in exchange for your temporary piece of paper.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

It really is crazy how things which are important can be different from one area to another ,i had appointment with doctor for exchange of licence,,question do you need glasses to drive answer no,push button on printer out comes letter he signs it out the door i go 3 weeks later PT licence
Old Nov 12th 2020, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillBullock
The online system has replaced the initial visit to an IMT office and it is for exchange of foreign licences as well as for new licences. Are you looking at the version in English? Although you start off the exchange online, you will eventually have to go in to an IMT office for the photograph and to hand over your UK licence in exchange for your temporary piece of paper.
Thank you, Bill - I have read about the (partly) online licence exchange system now in place; sounds much more convenient in these times. I was asking if anyone knew of the online doctor’s service that I linked to, in order to obtain the medical check in order to apply online for the licence exchange.
Old Nov 12th 2020, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I think you've had the medical bit answered but for what it's worth I went to my normal GP just over 2weeks ago, quick look over, entered into the imt online system and given a paper copy... Plus bonus of no GP charges for anything during covid 😁

Now for the classes and your vehicle, no your pick up doesn't require the higher class, you only need a psych test if you want the higher class keeping on your licence BUT Portugal won't allow that unless you can prove you did a test specifically for that class (ie 7500kg vehicle)
Old Nov 13th 2020, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pilotabroad
I think you've had the medical bit answered but for what it's worth I went to my normal GP just over 2weeks ago, quick look over, entered into the imt online system and given a paper copy... Plus bonus of no GP charges for anything during covid 😁

Now for the classes and your vehicle, no your pick up doesn't require the higher class, you only need a psych test if you want the higher class keeping on your licence BUT Portugal won't allow that unless you can prove you did a test specifically for that class (ie 7500kg vehicle)
Thank you, Pilotabroad. That is a relief to hear. What a nightmare to get through exchanging my licence, only to find I couldn’t drive my own vehicle with it!

i think I’ll give the online dr service a go - my own gp would be cheaper but I’m happy to pay to avoid entering a surgery at the moment.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

For anyone who is still to exchange their licence and to have their medical check - I have just used the service I asked about above and it was fantastic! (That is, if - as the Dr assured me - IMT now immediately have my Atestado Médico Electrónico in their system awaiting my exchange application). It was so quick and easy - so long as you have a device that can make video calls - didn’t have to leave the house, easy to book, Dr spoke brilliant English. Just took the number of my residence certificate, asked about current licence categories, asked about any ongoing conditions/medications I have, and whether I use glasses/lenses. Gave me a quick eye test using a chart that appeared on my screen. Then emailed the Atestado to me to check for accuracy whilst on the call, then he pinged it to IMT.

if anyone books a video consultation with them, to exchange your licence choose the video consulta + Atestado only option at 29€ - the more expensive option is only for renewing existing PT licences and includes them applying to IMT for the client, not available for licence exchanges.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. A private doctor here in Olhāo charges 30 Euros for the service.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great, now unfortunately it's time to join the queue with the rest of us 😂
3 weeks since application and conformation email and waiting (no idea the current time frame they are working too)
Old Nov 17th 2020, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

11 weeks since application for my wife and I.
Old Nov 18th 2020, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Strangely received an email from a lady at IMT Beja today asking me to send my attachments 🤔

Bit strange as Beja is neither my local office or the main office, plus all documents were sent.
I shall call tomorrow and update here if any changes
Old Nov 19th 2020, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Simple update.... She was insisting that my residency wasn't attached, after explaining that if she has my passport and driving licence scans then she MUST have my residency as its the same PDF she admitted the error and said she would complete it today and email me the atm invoice to pay.
Old Nov 21st 2020, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Update from me - in case anyone is still to apply - I received a reply the same day to my first email to say that all of the attached docs must be PDF files (I had sent a mix of PDF and JPEGs).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.