EHIC

Old Jul 17th 2019, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC

Yay!
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

After reading this thread I decided to apply for EHIC
Today I went to Loja de Cidadão and as I had no "marcação" (appointment) with SS I was just given a form to fill and an envelope with a tear-off coupon (with info on documents included and current date).
So I filled a form for me and added my wife to the same as a family member, included a copy of our ID's and dropped the envelope to the "mail box" on their table.
So no any temporary card.
Let's check if it works :-)
I'll keep you updated.

PS I've been provided with another piece of paper to fill in to make a "marcação", so I filled, dropped to the same magic box & voila received a message on my phone confirming date&time of appointment on the next week. I hardly believed it worked the same day.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DiDAN
After reading this thread I decided to apply for EHIC
Today I went to Loja de Cidadão and as I had no "marcação" (appointment) with SS I was just given a form to fill and an envelope with a tear-off coupon
We went to the citizens shop in Faro. No appointment needed there, they have a take a number and wait system.

Old Jul 17th 2019, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
We went to the citizens shop in Faro. No appointment needed there, they have a take a number and wait system.
In ours in Setubal you even need an appointment with a code to take a number... Probably they attend on wait system on other days and/or times.
Anyway it took far less than waiting in a que for hours...
Old Jul 24th 2019, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

No success.
Today my application was declined and I received this message via e-mail:
"Relativamente ao vosso contacto, informamos que não há lugar à emissão do Certificado Provisório do CESD.

O Sr.º ... e respetiva cônjuge, não exercem atividade profissional assalariada com períodos de seguro nesta instituição, pelo que não garante o direito à emissão do Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença (CESD). A cobertura de saúde na aplicação dos Regulamentos Comunitários está sujeita a condições especiais, nomeadamente ao estatuto profissional e de residência com registo ativo (trabalhadores, pensionistas ou membros de família)."

Kind of confused as of my understanding I don't need to be a worker in Portugal to benefit from EHIC.
Old Jul 25th 2019, 5:39 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of confused as of my understanding I don't need to be a worker in Portugal to benefit from EHIC.
According to the Social Security website (and assuming you are enrolled in the public health system) you are correct in that understanding :
Quem pode requerer
  • Os trabalhadores que se encontrem abrangidos por um regime de Segurança Social, os não ativos, os pensionistas e respetivos familiares
  • Beneficiários de subsistemas de saúde públicos
  • Beneficiários de subsistemas de saúde privados
  • Utentes do serviço nacional de saúde, no caso de não haver vínculo à Segurança Social ou a um subsistema de saúde público ou privado.
Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença
Old Jul 25th 2019, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

The lady who served us thought we weren't eligible as we have no SS number. I do think this is a common misconception.

We were lucky that she decided to call someone to check. All I can suggest is that you go back and try again.
Old Jul 30th 2019, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

I was able to succeed with temporary EHIC for my wife as well (she's still waiting for her SS number) after a few e-mails. You never believe they replied to my e-mail and issued it within a day! With no need to visit them! :-)
Now we're waiting for the permanent EHIC cards sent to our address.

So the bottom line is
Everyone with Numero Utente can receive the EHIC card no matter if he/she works and has SS number.
You should pay attention of the clerk in SS that the card must be issued on base of SNS, not SS.
It costs nothing.

Last edited by DiDAN; Jul 30th 2019 at 10:58 am.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 12:41 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to succeed with temporary EHIC for my wife as well (she's still waiting for her SS number) after a few e-mails. You never believe they replied to my e-mail and issued it within a day! With no need to visit them! :-)
Now we're waiting for the permanent EHIC cards sent to our address.

So the bottom line is
Everyone with Numero Utente can receive the EHIC card no matter if he/she works and has SS number.
You should pay attention of the clerk in SS that the card must be issued on base of SNS, not SS.
It costs nothing.
That's the ticket - good to know that understanding where you stood according to published documents helped you stand your ground in the face of a little local misinterpretation
Old Aug 1st 2019, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

No success.
Today my application was declined and I received this message via e-mail:
"Relativamente ao vosso contacto, informamos que não há lugar à emissão do Certificado Provisório do CESD.

O Sr.º ... e respetiva cônjuge, não exercem atividade profissional assalariada com períodos de seguro nesta instituição, pelo que não garante o direito à emissão do Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença (CESD). A cobertura de saúde na aplicação dos Regulamentos Comunitários está sujeita a condições especiais, nomeadamente ao estatuto profissional e de residência com registo ativo (trabalhadores, pensionistas ou membros de família)."

I think you'll find the reason you were refused a Portuguese EHIC card is because you're in receipt of a UK state pension which means the UK has to pay the final bill not Portugal & you need to apply for a EHIC card from the UK.

Old Aug 1st 2019, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I think you'll find the reason you were refused a Portuguese EHIC card is because you're in receipt of a UK state pension which means the UK has to pay the final bill not Portugal & you need to apply for a EHIC card from the UK.
Not in our case, we are not receiving a state pension and as it was mentioned anybody resident in Portugal can apply first for Numero Utente then for EHIC, no matter if he receives state pension anywhere or not.
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Not in our case, we are not receiving a state pension and as it was mentioned anybody resident in Portugal can apply first for Numero Utente then for EHIC, no matter if he receives state pension anywhere or not.
Interesting......... In that case, I wonder if it's age related only in that you're over state pension age even if not in receipt of the pension......... Have you tried applying for a UK EHIC card to see what happens?

That said, Brexit might change things anyway
Old Aug 2nd 2019, 9:24 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by mfesharne
Interesting......... In that case, I wonder if it's age related only in that you're over state pension age even if not in receipt of the pension......... Have you tried applying for a UK EHIC card to see what happens?

That said, Brexit might change things anyway
I think you might be labouring under a misapprehension DiDAN's sorted with a PT EHIC.

And under the circs as described above, Brexit won't change UK citizens' eligibility for EHIC if they're resident in PT, although who it is that issues them might.
Old Aug 15th 2019, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

You know what? We've received our EHIC cards...
Mine expiring on 2022, but my wife's expiring 10/2019
Nonsense!
Old Aug 16th 2019, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Is that when she reaches state pension age or just Brexit Day?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.