EHIC

Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Bucbar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EHIC

Being permanently resident in Portugal (and with no ties in the UK) means that the UK European Health Insurance Card no longer applies to myself and wife. It would appear that the Portuguese equivalent is 'Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença' - apart from their website (which is pretty daunting) does anyone know how to go about applying for a card?

Last edited by Bucbar; Apr 15th 2018 at 11:03 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EHIC

https://www.portaldocidadao.pt/en/we...guranca-social
Old Apr 15th 2018, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Many thanks - I'll take a look!
Old Apr 15th 2018, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I want one too, but the website demands a social security number which I don't have since I never worked here.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect that the lack of a Cartão de Cidadão for authentication means that the online option isn't available to us and that you'll have to do it in person at your local Espaço Cidadão or similar by completing this form.
Old Apr 15th 2018, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

DiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond reputeDiDAN has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: EHIC

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I want one too, but the website demands a social security number which I don't have since I never worked here.
You can apply and obtain the SS number in your LOJA DE CIDADÃO even if you never work in Portugal.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Currently working my way through my on-line application and stuck on a section asking for Documento de identificacao de um paid da Uniao Europeia
.... inserted various answers but no good .... any ideas?
Old Apr 16th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

I think your passport number would be the normal answer but I'm not sure where you are entering that information or why it's being rejected. See my reply #5 above.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Well today after dropping off family at the airport in Faro we called into the Citizens Shop there. Took a number, found the Social Security section and crossed our fingers.
We are early retirees so have no social security number.
I had filled in the above form and printed it out.
Applying for a Portuguese EHIC (Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença CESD) was our last official task.
After a relatively short 50 minute wait we were served by a nice lady who spoke very little english but with my dodgy portuguese we managed to have a conversation that went along the lines of us not being allowed the card, that the UK should issue us one. When I said that I thought Portugal were meant to do it now that we are resident she asked the lady at the other desk, unfortunately she also thought we couldn't have one. Luckily she decided to ring and check. Whoever she spoke to said that we were eligible.
So with a shrug of her shoulders she tapped away at her computer and we now have a temporary CESD, I'm hoping the real one will arrive in the post.
The ladies were helpful and the conversation was amiable, it just goes to show that being polite but persistent can get results.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I don't really understand what people here are talking about. The EHIC only applies to Europeans while travelling. If you are talking about an SS number for social security then it is extremely simple.
Go to the Junta in your parish and get an asestado (declaration) stating that you live in that parish. You would need your residency card and proof of address. This will cost a few euros. This is to prove that you live in that particular parish.
Take the asestado to your Doctor's reception and hand it in. They will issue you with an SS number and assign a family doctor to you. Simple as that.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
I don't really understand what people here are talking about. The EHIC only applies to Europeans while travelling.
We are talking about getting a Portuguese EHIC to cover healthcare while travelling in other EU countries.

Early retirees don't get issued with SS numbers as we aren't working. To apply for the EHIC online you need an SS number so I had to apply in person.

I'm also talking about a Social Security number not a Health User number. I am registered with the health service here so have a user number.

Don't ask me why it's the Social Security office that issue EHIC cards but they do.

Last edited by AliceCaroline; Jul 11th 2019 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I went to the local social security office; had to wait a long time.
After filling in a form with the lady there, I was issued a temporary paper EHIC, after a week or two I got a nice plastic card in the mail.
I have no Portuguese social security number but I am resident, and registered with the Portuguese health service.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I went to the local social security office; had to wait a long time.
After filling in a form with the lady there, I was issued a temporary paper EHIC, after a week or two I got a nice plastic card in the mail.
I have no Portuguese social security number but I am resident, and registered with the Portuguese health service.
Thats good to know Liveaboard. So in a couple of weeks our plastic cards should arrive.
Old Jul 12th 2019, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

So much neater than the 'carta do utente' which is on plain paper.
Old Jul 17th 2019, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Our plastic Cartão Europeu de Seguro de Doença card (Portuguese EHIC) arrived in the post this morning.
One week after we requested it, quick work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.