Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Macliam , your problem is that your firewall is preventing the program from accessing the internet , or the ports it uses?

Find out what firewall your using ,then add exception in your firewall config for kodi.If windows in built , try this guide.

Usually when u first run kodi after an install you can get two pop up screens in windows , one for allow this program to make changes to your pc , or add exception to firewall.

do a youtube search for adding exceptions to windows firewall.

Another option is to change the properties of the program itself , find the icon in windows that is the EXE , right click and set for run as administrator. Turn on firewall again , and see if it now works.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Anti virus shouldn't normally prevent the use of Kodi , unless your already infected or the install exe was infected and not detected.

Perhaps the AV is set to the highest level , which iis rarely needed for most users , medium setting is usually enough which prevents virus being resident in memory and from boot.But only if regularly updated for definitions.

I have to laugh at some customers that bring in expensive pcs , with hacked windows and cracked anti virus software , where a clean up and data retrieval costs more than a new budget pc or laptop.

All to save a couple of quid on a MAR version of windows or using a free virus killer , most of the time the excuse is they let someone in the family try to fix it because they know about computers , which is usually far from the truth.

These are the ones i end up sending to the apple store , much as I hate apple with the moron sheep and hipster tax - but via john lewis and the free applecare of course.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:41 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

On PC running kobi.exe as admin doesn't seem to solve anything, so still playing about.

Watched a new film straight through on the tablet, no buffering, no problem.

So worth expending more effort................

Last edited by macliam; Jan 4th 2016 at 11:44 am.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Hi algarveandroid I did send you a PM a few days ago, did you receive it? Can you let me have a response.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

brerrabbit1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
Hi algarveandroid I did send you a PM a few days ago, did you receive it? Can you let me have a response.
By the way.only been here for three weeks, Tonihght watched Holby and EastEnders on laptop on an app called FILMON..its free ande all you need is internet.Not blocked like iplayer and you can see ALL uk channels,5 star , channel 5 and lots more. brerrabbit
Old Jan 12th 2016, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brerrabbit1
By the way.only been here for three weeks, Tonihght watched Holby and EastEnders on laptop on an app called FILMON..its free ande all you need is internet.Not blocked like iplayer and you can see ALL uk channels,5 star , channel 5 and lots more. brerrabbit

Hi

Now go back to your laptop and put into Google Camposat it's Filmon but better.

Peter
Old Jan 13th 2016, 9:27 am
Just Joined

blueandy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Peter, Very useful info for me too.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
Well, I've got it working(ish) on my Android tablet - and installed on Win7 laptop, but it can only see the internet from the laptop with the firewall and AV off, so not a viable option long term.

Some add-ons load, some fail and refer to the log, which I don't see - so it's all a bit hit and miss for me

Low bandwidth probably doesn't help much either, but not much choice out in the sticks.
It should work with firewall and AV! Must be a config problem.

As regards low bandwidth, who is your provider?

Where are you in the Alentejo? Are you near a 4G equipped mobile mast?

I have just installed one of the Nos Internet 4G packages at a client in the sticks here on the Algarve and was very surprised at the high rate of transmission(+8mbps download) and low latency.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi

Now go back to your laptop and put into Google Camposat it's Filmon but better.

Peter
I use both and Camposat gives a better picture, more stable reception however it does not seem to have as many channels nor does it open with a programme schedule that direct filmon has.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 12:17 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert

I have just installed one of the Nos Internet 4G packages at a client in the sticks here on the Algarve and was very surprised at the high rate of transmission(+8mbps download) and low latency.
AV wasn't a problem, Firewall was/is as it is preventing downloads (on PC) and I haven't found a way to get past it yet except temporarily dropping the firewall - but no such probs on Android tablet.

I'm in the serra, near Ourique and there's no 4G or fibre available
- so I have a MEO landline & ADSL which shares a pathetic 6mbps local switch (so you could NEVER reach the offered speed, even if you were directly connected and in the same room!) I end up with just shy of 2mbps, but due to low contention this is liveable. My full-time neighbour tried the mobile route, but has now changed to ADSL too - so either the performance or the price were not acceptable to him.

Since all mobile internet packages in Portugal seem to be very limited or really expensive, I'm surprised anyone would be using it for TV...... and since I'm a part-time visitor, I certainly don't want a horrendous annual contract to pay for the 6 months I'm here ...... 32 euros per month for MEO is quite enough for a service that costs me under £15 in the UK!!
Old Jan 14th 2016, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by barlaventoexpert

Line of sight for nos you do get the speed , for me never worked , Nos refunded me without problem or quibble so a thumbs up for them from me.

Meo I can get and did , had nos the same delivery I would have chosen them instead of the robbing SOBS.

If you do this for clients , then can I suggest a good piece of hardware which means tailoring installs , including antennas , and tweaking is easy as pie , especially in near no signal areas that now gets me 4mb , this when visitors and locals cant even get a mobile signal.

It worked for me and is now a decent signal apart from low upload for a no signal area , which isnt really a problem.

It would if you do this professionally be far superior and more professional than an app on a phone , and pay for itself in man hours fast. While you can go for the cheaper and low stock 3g tester to find antennas and their power output it wont give you any tweaking for 4g and mimo that the newer version provides. See ...

Taking the Guesswork Out of GSM/GPRS Connectivity - IFSEC Global , good tools cost , and to date its the best out there that isnt in a breifcase format and can be privately bought. I dont work for them.

I am toying with the idea of site surveys as one day a week for clients , including installers , full report given on direction and power for all viable signals and recommendations , for mileage plus fee. I am not though really interested in providing this full time , retirement to me means exactly that.

There is also some solid m2m originated routers that can be used , and are far better than the likes of Tplink hardware with 4g dongle thats the norm , or the ones Nos use from Hua which are good in towns and cities- but poor even with external antennas in rural and valley situations , with no clear line of sight.

Good things like use for security arent in built to provider supplied hardware , including sms reboots. Makes the spend viable for some customers for m2m routers , where they can lock it away and reset for a rental client expecting wifi if required , or log in to ip cameras remotely , even wifi gate opening for services or lighting or watering if that is also your client base.
Old Jan 24th 2016, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

barlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond reputebarlaventoexpert has a reputation beyond repute

The installation I did with the NOS kit was with the NOS Huawei 4G router on a 2year fixed contract and unlimited downloads.

I had surveyed the whole property for signal strength and placed it in a window with DLS to the nearest mast. I was surprised with the low level of latency. I powered the router via a ups as there are frequent micro-EDP spikes & cuts in the area.

However, I should point out that the client was basically using it for Internet, Internet Radio (a Roberts wifii equipped unit) and Skype. Youtube streaming was fine as well with no buffering.

Thanks for the comment on the kit. I'm going to have a look at it.

IPTV in this case was not involved.