Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

I've no commercial or other link with the company but I kept hearing about kodi.tv over the last few days so gave it a try.

It's an absolute swine to install and initially get working but once sussed out, it's tip top.

No end of channels, including up to date movies such as 'The Danish Girl', no kit to buy, no ads and so far, no buffering.

I've just watched 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part II' and it was perfect.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost unlimited & completely free online TV

I actually have an android TV box with hard wired unlimited internet and Kodi installed; but where / how do you get TV channels on it?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

You have to install individual channels or stations but you can do it........ SWMBO did mine but I can even get Drama & others through the one of the station downloads...... I think UKTV.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 10:31 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I've no commercial or other link with the company but I kept hearing about kodi.tv over the last few days so gave it a try.

It's an absolute swine to install and initially get working but once sussed out, it's tip top.

No end of channels, including up to date movies such as 'The Danish Girl', no kit to buy, no ads and so far, no buffering.

I've just watched 'The Hunger Games Mockingjay Part II' and it was perfect.
On Windows I can't get it to recognise I have internet access - I've spent ages following useless tips on the net....

I might just try it on my Android tablet and see if it's another Windows foible .... when I have a few hours spare.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
On Windows I can't get it to recognise I have internet access - I've spent ages following useless tips on the net....

I might just try it on my Android tablet and see if it's another Windows foible .... when I have a few hours spare.
Hi

When I have tried Xmbc as Kodi was previously called I never had any trouble on any of my machines all running Ubuntu Linux. Friends who run windows tell me they had no end of trouble getting it to work.

Peter
Old Jan 1st 2016, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Like I said, it's a burger to install but if you can make it work, it's the dog's doo dahs!

FWIW, I had to switch off my windows defender firewall to get it installed....... even if you can't do it yourself, I reckon it'd be worth taking your machine to a computer shop and have them do it for you......... also FWIW, SWMBO had 2 laptops side by side so she could watch the tutorials on one whilst installing it on the other.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:33 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, it's a burger to install but if you can make it work, it's the dog's doo dahs!

FWIW, I had to switch off my windows defender firewall to get it installed....... even if you can't do it yourself, I reckon it'd be worth taking your machine to a computer shop and have them do it for you......... also FWIW, SWMBO had 2 laptops side by side so she could watch the tutorials on one whilst installing it on the other.
OK, reloaded on Win 7 without firewall or AV - now can see the internet

Loaded on Android and have fusion and UKTV loaded .... seems OK-ish - but seems a lot to do to get the best results. Will keep scanning the net for best tips.........

Last edited by macliam; Jan 1st 2016 at 3:35 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Bazoo is an unknown quantity at this point

google "Kewl tv" for a site that will show you all you need to do once you have loaded KODI. Once you downloaded the updater file it pre configures to all the latest hyperlinks
Old Jan 1st 2016, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Genesis station has some really good movies if that's any help.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:06 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by Bazoo
google "Kewl tv" for a site that will show you all you need to do once you have loaded KODI. Once you downloaded the updater file it pre configures to all the latest hyperlinks
The Genesis station has some really good movies if that's any help.
I'll check out both - anything tried and tested that saves time seems good to me!
Old Jan 1st 2016, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm still exploring it all but so far, I've watched 2 modern movies (The Martian & Hunger Games II) and both played perfectly with no ads or interruptions at all.

UKTV needs a Film 4 sign in but you only need to go to their website to register and again, there's no charge.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Much Movies also has a ton of really good movies including American Sniper.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

algarveandroid is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been using Kodi since the Xbmc days , when xbmc was on the original xbox. Today its much more than before , but because of that it does take some work to get and keep it working. I recently sold off a load of custom boxes to clients for half the price that the usual culprits are charging , and without that whole contract thing.

I much prefer the android version now u can get it from proper google play , plus i usually keep a load of the repos on a usb stick. With android you can use your phone with miracast to throw the kodi to the tv screen , some tvs will even have miracast bilt in too , which means no need for kodi other than on a tablet or phone....handy as it therefore becomes the player and the remote.

For those that want to mess a little bit more u can use it with sat cards , or terrestrial , for those that choose the easy installers watch out for adult streams if you are going to let kids use it. NaviX is particularly loaded with them.

My fav use for it now is ftv guide , as long as filmon is configured properly its like using a freesat box - except with the filmon logos. Handy if you want to go the airmouse route , which I reccomend fully.

Another option is re purposing an old pc or laptop , ideally laptop with hdmi for low power use , with a logitech k400 keyboard , and booting from a openelec version of kodi in about 5 to 20 secs from cold without even using windows at all. One could also use one of the pico or NUC style pcs too , as long as the gfx are sufficient.

I am told the firestick can also be used with a little modding , and that this was the reason for it being sold out everywhere in december , to only reapear at 100 notes configured on ebay, rather than the 30 quid it should have been... nice earner for some.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've installed it directly onto both my laptop & I Pad & don't need any box, firestick, contract or any other cost...... Although Film 4 & the BBCs & ITVs etc are on there, you can also get them (FOC) on filmon or Camposat.
Old Jan 3rd 2016, 8:58 am
Resident Cynic

Well, I've got it working(ish) on my Android tablet - and installed on Win7 laptop, but it can only see the internet from the laptop with the firewall and AV off, so not a viable option long term.

Some add-ons load, some fail and refer to the log, which I don't see - so it's all a bit hit and miss for me

Low bandwidth probably doesn't help much either, but not much choice out in the sticks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.