Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Old Oct 3rd 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

I definitely feel that by this stage in the process you should be 100% sure. I have been to australia for a year in 2005 but I was on the east coast. I just love the place and I have always wanted to live there. The WA police as a career is far more appealing than the force I am in at the moment. I would be very uspet if someone who is not sure wqs offered a job ahead of me when I know it is my dream
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never been to Australia but Mrs MaddJose has during her career as an air hostess and loved it. I still have the military mentality, where they can send me where they want and I'll make the very best of it but in this instance, I WANT to go desperately and know that I'll make the most of everything as will my family. Due to a very recent family bereavement the wife is having a few doubts but knows how much we will all benefit from the move. We have planned for her to have 2 years off of work with our youngest, which is something she'll never be able to do here.

There are always plenty of pros and cons in a move like this and it really comes down to how much you want it. If your realistic in your planning, researching and preparation then the transition should be relatively smooth but the homesick bug will always hit, its just how you then deal with it, thank goodness for skype etc.

Wapol do seem to be a very good employer, maybe too good to be true but the biggest thing I took from their presentation is that they really do want us all and are willing to help in any way that they can to make the transition as easy as possible.

There's certainly going to be quite a few families in the same situation and that's where forums like these are invaluable. Lets hope we are all successful and can arrange a Wapol 2014 newbie barbie with a few cold ones......

Then we'll all be living the dream......
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Sponger79 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SimonBournenouth2013
Im new to the forum but found it trying to research about WA Police and perth. I completed the fitness test and seemed to have a good interview and go from being exited about the prospect of going to thinking it could be a massive mistake. I don't want to be a 'ping pong pom' as its unsettling for the family and costly!

I have 4 years in for Hampshire Police working in the New Forest in one of the nicest areas in the country where people are generally pro Police. i enjoy the job on the whole. My initial reason for wanting a potential move where;

1. Changing pay and conditions in the uk. Winsor 2 is looming also.
2. More of less impossible chances of promotion- literally several hundred people apply for one Sgts position. I'm ambitious and would like this opportunity but it seems so far out of reach in the uk.
3. Decreasing numbers of Officers- I currently work in a town of over 30k people with one other Officer and this can be dangerous at times, as I have found out!
4. Economy in the uk
5. Quality of life in the uk
6. Nervous about my child growing up in the Uk as things have changed.
6. Weather.

I'm 29 years old, my wife is thai and has no family ties in the uk so is happy to move if I want to, my son is 5. My concern about moving are;

1. Cost of getting over there- I'm hoping this would be no more than 10k. I have saved up this towards a deposit for a house so this would wipe this and I would effectively be starting again.
2. I have never actually been to perth so I'm nervous about moving somewhere I have not actually visited.
3. Cost of living in Australia/ Perth- I have been in contact with a recruit who has reassured me that things are not that bad and that some things are actually cheaper than the uk. One of the main reasons for moving would be to be better financially so this is key for me.
4. Isolation of Perth- again I keep hearing different argument on this, some say Perth has lots to do, others say it is a rather dull place to live with a lack of history. I train MMA and like to dive which Perth has so I'm happy but I worry about the little man/ misses.

Is anyone else having these kinds of concerns even at this late stage in the process? everyone else seems so confident about the move.
Are you from the Bournemouth area? I grew up in Bornemouth and know the New Forest. Been to Perth and there are far more things to do than any town on the south coast.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

At some point everyone will get home sick.that's when your new friends can support you.i know it's what I want for my family but even still ill be nervous to sell up, quit my job etc.I'm sure there will be a few tears, bound to be, but think of the great times ahead.I just look forward to a new adventure, learning about a new force and area and way of life, i hope I get in!!
Old Oct 4th 2013, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

SimonBournenouth2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the positive replies and words of encouragement. I am committed (this is the second time I've applied) and think its natural to get some last minute nerves. I think about it all the time and know the pros outweigh the cons and if it was just me I would have no concerns I just worry about the family. I know that it is the chance of a lifetime and the chance may never come again, it would be horrible to live with regret and to top it off wait for Tom Windsor to do his work.

Sponger79- yes I live in Bournemouth and agree even here that is meant to cater for tourists it can get very boring especially between oct-April. Hopefully visiting those grotty wacky warehouses on rainy days will be a thing of the past.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:40 am
Just Joined

jim_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone heard anything? The wait is killing me!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

fadsie1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think next week is the earliest we will hear anything and that is pushing it. It is an agonising wait but while I dont know i can still dream. A no would be the end to all those positive thoughts.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 9:47 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Not yet Jim, still waiting, as patiently as I can! We've tried a ban on speaking about Western Australia in our house, looking at rentals, cars, beaches, schools, everything, but guess what, it's not worked! It's all consuming!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Shell_G is an unknown quantity at this point

We've done the same thing gregster, keep agreeing not to talk about it, then it gets mentioned again!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 10:57 am
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

It's so hard when it's potentially the rest of your life you're planning. Think we will just carry on talking until we get the email, and then we'll start planning.

Hopefully!! ;-)
Old Oct 10th 2013, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Shell_G is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the thing, you don't want to get too involved in the planning stage in case you don't get it, however you don't want to neglect the research in case you do get in, definitely the old proverbial rock and a hard place eh?!

All we can all do in cross our fingers and carry on waiting
Old Oct 10th 2013, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

jim_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well good luck people. At least we have done what we can now. Look forward to hearing from you all with some good news.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't see us having our answers until the week commencing 21st. Anything longer than that will see me break the world record for sleep deprivation. Might need matchsticks at work for droopy eyelids soon. Thankfully it's difficult to fall asleep on blues and twos!

Our lives have become as idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, although more recently adopted by Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden!

Keep hanging on people.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Next week marks 4 weeks from my interview, they did say you should know within 4 weeks but then at the info session they said towards the end of Oct.
Will it be this week or the end of Oct. The wait is killing me and the wife, we want to start to get things moving.
On a plus side, just accepted an offer on the house so we could on the streets in a few weeks :-)
Old Oct 12th 2013, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

Adix2011 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bagdog
Next week marks 4 weeks from my interview, they did say you should know within 4 weeks but then at the info session they said towards the end of Oct.
Will it be this week or the end of Oct. The wait is killing me and the wife, we want to start to get things moving.
On a plus side, just accepted an offer on the house so we could on the streets in a few weeks :-)
They said mid October at my info session, I'm thinking back end of next week.so many people asking if we've found out.I'll be shouting it from the roof tops if I get a yes.did you sell your house incase you get in or were you moving anyway? we've got two houses to sell, night mare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.