Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future
Default Re: WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Bagdog. Thanks for that. Real helpful. Only thing I would ask is are you not planning on going out at all?

HB
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:51 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagdog
I've been doing my research and have compiled a few figures. It may put you in better in a picture.

To explain, I have ran the wages we are going to get (I took the 5 year cop one for an average) with our shift penalties, through a tax and medicare deduction calculator. I have researched several sites and generated a table for average costs of living, I have estimated some costs but I'm sure this isn't too far from real costings.

Here goes....

All Costs Per Month

Council Rates - $140
Water Rates - $74
Water Usage - $35
House Insurance $30
Electricity $140
Gas $65
Mobile Phone (x2) $100
Broadband $50
TV $75

Food $500

Rent $2200 ($550 per week property, good level of house there are cheaper ones out there)

Total $3418

5yr cop wage (with shift penalties and deductions) = $4400 (per month)
Saving around $1000 per month.

If I have missed anything off then please let me know, I have based this on me, the wife and baby Bagdog.

I have based this on my wife not working straight away, she would potentially get a part time job paying $1000-$2000 increasing our monthly savings.

Ta
Bagdog, I drew up a list similar to you back in January when this became a glint of a possibility, and got a bit slated for only budgeting $200 a week for food!! I was asking if $200 a week would feed two adults and 2 kids. Some thought so, some didn't, and then it turned into a free for all about eating rice, potatoes, cous cous etc.
Anyway, my budget including a car and insurance, rego etc, was between $900-1,000 a week. Before the salary increase, and with only one wage, that was going to be tight, and even after the wage increase, $400 would probably quickly get swallowed with extras like health ins, dental cover, school fees, ambulance cover etc. I still think that it's manageable, but tight, at least initially until Mrs G gets a job. Like you say, with an extra $1,000-$2,000 a month coming in, life will be rosy!
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha yes HB of course, me and the family love to eat out. It was a basic look at costs, but yes eating out and family activities will eat away at that $1000 difference in no time. Sparkles has added a good point about transport and car costs etc.

It is a tough one to guess from the other side of the world, but with help from my mate over there I've managed to compile a realistic list.

Sparkles I put food at $500 as a conservative estimate, shopping at farmers markets and looking at deals obviously until you figure out the cheapest places.

We will go over with some savings to fall back on, but I think I wanted to figure out if we could live off just my wage until Mrs Bagdog found a job.
With being careful, and hopefully completing the exams and moving a notch or two up the pay scale it should be quite comfortable.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

Greg - Missed that list sorry mate, but yeah it will be tight and the savings might get dipped into for luxuries etc, but it's doable. If the Mrs gets a decent paid job (she works for the NHS so shouldn't be an issue) then we should be rosey as you say.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Haha yes HB of course, me and the family love to eat out. It was a basic look at costs, but yes eating out and family activities will eat away at that $1000 difference in no time. Sparkles has added a good point about transport and car costs etc.

It is a tough one to guess from the other side of the world, but with help from my mate over there I've managed to compile a realistic list.

Sparkles I put food at $500 as a conservative estimate, shopping at farmers markets and looking at deals obviously until you figure out the cheapest places.

We will go over with some savings to fall back on, but I think I wanted to figure out if we could live off just my wage until Mrs Bagdog found a job.
With being careful, and hopefully completing the exams and moving a notch or two up the pay scale it should be quite comfortable.
Have you checked out what centrelink benefits you'll be entitled to as well. The young spark is 18, so we don't get any, but there are child benefits / family benefits which can boost your budget. There are also childcare benefits for when the OH starts working which can cover 50% of childcare costs I think. If you have a look in the main Australia forum, or do a search, it comes up fairly regularly. It may also not be too easy for OH to get work - will depend on skills. It took me 5 months and I'm a sparky.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Bagdog

Did you factor in the Oz equivalent of family benefit? Worth about $15000pa when I worked it out (3 children), effectively saving nearly all your tax and Medicare costs.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

No I'm not sure what we'd be entitled for. We have one sprog who will be 2.
The mrs found the child care benefit where they can pay 50% of your nursery fees.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

No I'm not sure what we'd be entitled for. We have one sprog who will be 2.
The mrs found the child care benefit where they can pay 50% of your nursery fees.
There was a website you can go on which tells you what you get, can't remember what it's called sorry.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 9:27 pm
Living the dream in WA

gregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond reputegregster10217 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it's available to you, but did they not say at the info session that PR have to wait 2 years before they can claim child benefit/rent assistance? Might've mistaken though!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gregster10217
I hope it's available to you, but did they not say at the info session that PR have to wait 2 years before they can claim child benefit/rent assistance? Might've mistaken though!
There are certain benefits that you have wait 2 years for, I think unemployment benefits are one example. I am however, pretty sure can claim child benefit from the off, if only one of you are working
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing my research and have compiled a few figures. It may put you in better in a picture.

To explain, I have ran the wages we are going to get (I took the 5 year cop one for an average) with our shift penalties, through a tax and medicare deduction calculator. I have researched several sites and generated a table for average costs of living, I have estimated some costs but I'm sure this isn't too far from real costings.

Here goes....

All Costs Per Month

Council Rates - $140
Water Rates - $74
Water Usage - $35
House Insurance $30
Electricity $140
Gas $65
Mobile Phone (x2) $100
Broadband $50
TV $75

Food $500

Rent $2200 ($550 per week property, good level of house there are cheaper ones out there)

Total $3418

5yr cop wage (with shift penalties and deductions) = $4400 (per month)
Saving around $1000 per month.

If I have missed anything off then please let me know, I have based this on me, the wife and baby Bagdog.

I have based this on my wife not working straight away, she would potentially get a part time job paying $1000-$2000 increasing our monthly savings.

Ta
Forget about council rates and water rates whilst renting (only water usage) Add transport costs.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:14 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
Forget about council rates and water rates whilst renting (only water usage) Add transport costs.
Not necessarily true - I'm renting and pay all water charges
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
There are certain benefits that you have wait 2 years for, I think unemployment benefits are one example. I am however, pretty sure can claim child benefit from the off, if only one of you are working
You are right GB - you have to wait 2 years for unemployment, but family benefits are available immediately. Link to website - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...r-visa-holders
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:39 am
Living the dream in WA

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You are right GB - you have to wait 2 years for unemployment, but family benefits are available immediately. Link to website - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/cust...r-visa-holders
Brilliant, everything helps, and when there's only one salary coming in, the child benefit/rent assistance will ease the pressure on the purse strings. I know people have said to wait to claim it until the end of the first tax year when you do your return, but it could be the difference between some enjoying the move and struggling.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by gregster10217
Brilliant, everything helps, and when there's only one salary coming in, the child benefit/rent assistance will ease the pressure on the purse strings. I know people have said to wait to claim it until the end of the first tax year when you do your return, but it could be the difference between some enjoying the move and struggling.
I think you can claim the childcare rebate if both of you are working, or one working and one studying. Other benefits may depend on incomes but I don't know too much as the young spark is 18 so we don't get any benefits

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.