Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA - June 2013 Intake - Progress & Results

Originally Posted by VikkiShields
In 2007 they had so many reserves to fill the places if people failed. However this year they didn't have one. They just took so many to London for fitness.
And I don't think they'll be getting the 150 they need due to so many fitness fails. Lets hope their happy with those they interviewed.....

Keep going over my interview and feel a little short changed with their questions. Never really probed into my policing skills or experience.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Ragingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud ofRagingbull has much to be proud of

You can only answer the questions that you are asked. Everything is on your application form so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

I suppose so raging. Lets hope its enough.....
Old Sep 27th 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

bagdog is an unknown quantity at this point

I felt I had a bad one, but you can never tell.
Fingers crossed youth !!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

simps is an unknown quantity at this point

Would they still take people on if they failed the fitness reducing our odds for us fit ones .
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dinger Bell is an unknown quantity at this point

Simps

I think there is no chance they will take anyone who dipped the physicals and then turn down ones that passed. That would be a bit of a gamble for them down the line if there was ever a problem with that recruit. All of us who passed have shown dedication and determination to achieve the standard they require, it has to count for a lot.
If you were a recruiter would you take someone who couldn't meet the physical standard despite having months to prepare?
The physical is the one thing you could control. You knew what was expected and could train to achieve it. The exam was similar but with unknown questions but the interview was the unknown quantity which we all thought of questions they would ask and prepared our answers, but you could never be sure, and those questions weren't all generic and were personalised in places. There's nothing like the unknown for creating stress and apprehension. I didn't feel my interview was good. To be honest I found giving evidence in coroner's court and magistrates easier, but then again there was so much more resting on the interview than telling the truth in court.
One thing for sure is we will all know win or lose in about 3 to 4 weeks time. I reckon the pass rate will be about 66% overall by the time all the resits have been taken into account. So about 120 candidates for them to peruse through, but hey, I could be (and usually am when it comes to guesswork) wildly wrong, otherwise I would have won Littlewoods Pools every week.
If you read between the lines of the info session, Inspector Norrish did say he could take UPTO 150 for any one recruitment year, and the dates of the recruitment year are flexible and decided by him! He said they were in London to recruit, so hopefully, unless we fouled up big time in the interview, we are all pencilled in for the next recruitment year.

Last edited by Dinger Bell; Sep 27th 2013 at 7:36 pm. Reason: grammatical error
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maddjose
And I don't think they'll be getting the 150 they need due to so many fitness fails. Lets hope their happy with those they interviewed.....

Keep going over my interview and feel a little short changed with their questions. Never really probed into my policing skills or experience.
It was the same with previous recruitment campaigns. They know about your policing experience through your application. I think they're more interested in how you and your family will settle in Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

simps is an unknown quantity at this point

I was hoping someone who post a reply like that, you are 100% right, the fitness was some thing we were in total control of . We worked hard for it and achieved the goal, I don't miss training before an early shift but it paid off.
I felt my interview wasn't great either because I prepared so much for it , I came out very scripted but who knows.
Turned into an insomniac now.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

HarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant futureHarryBosch has a brilliant future

The Limboland national motto appears to be - my interview was crap.
I think what we're doing, and I include myself in this, is we're getting in a pre-emptive strike. We're convincing ourselves of the result beforehand so we can say
'Ah well. I was expecting that anyway'

It's just indicative of our desire to succeed.

Truth is we don't know how the interview went so we're preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Geordiebloke..... thanks for those reassuring words to the limbo faithful. It makes sense not to go over old ground In an Interview but to glean new and more pertinent info for them to assess on.

Simps .... dingers right about taking fitness fails but remember we've got to stay on top on things and not become doughnut kings and queens just in case we're on that April intake.

HB.... were u a psychologist in a former life? Wise words but that's what we do best, expect the worst and yes we doooo want it that much.....
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

I've been doing my research and have compiled a few figures. It may put you in better in a picture.

To explain, I have ran the wages we are going to get (I took the 5 year cop one for an average) with our shift penalties, through a tax and medicare deduction calculator. I have researched several sites and generated a table for average costs of living, I have estimated some costs but I'm sure this isn't too far from real costings.

Here goes....

All Costs Per Month

Council Rates - $140
Water Rates - $74
Water Usage - $35
House Insurance $30
Electricity $140
Gas $65
Mobile Phone (x2) $100
Broadband $50
TV $75

Food $500

Rent $2200 ($550 per week property, good level of house there are cheaper ones out there)

Total $3418

5yr cop wage (with shift penalties and deductions) = $4400 (per month)
Saving around $1000 per month.

If I have missed anything off then please let me know, I have based this on me, the wife and baby Bagdog.

I have based this on my wife not working straight away, she would potentially get a part time job paying $1000-$2000 increasing our monthly savings.

Ta
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:23 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagdog
I've been doing my research and have compiled a few figures. It may put you in better in a picture.

To explain, I have ran the wages we are going to get (I took the 5 year cop one for an average) with our shift penalties, through a tax and medicare deduction calculator. I have researched several sites and generated a table for average costs of living, I have estimated some costs but I'm sure this isn't too far from real costings.

Here goes....

All Costs Per Month

Council Rates - $140
Water Rates - $74
Water Usage - $35
House Insurance $30
Electricity $140
Gas $65
Mobile Phone (x2) $100
Broadband $50
TV $75

Food $500

Rent $2200 ($550 per week property, good level of house there are cheaper ones out there)

Total $3418

5yr cop wage (with shift penalties and deductions) = $4400 (per month)
Saving around $1000 per month.

If I have missed anything off then please let me know, I have based this on me, the wife and baby Bagdog.

I have based this on my wife not working straight away, she would potentially get a part time job paying $1000-$2000 increasing our monthly savings.

Ta
Hi Bagdog,

There shouldn't be any council rates if you are renting. I also think that the broadband is low - who is the quote with?

I paid my car insurance outright, but that's missing as well as travel expenses general whether petrol or public (I pay around $30 petrol, and young spark does another $5 - $10 on buses with student card)

Not sure if you want to look at private medical as well - ours is $140 month for just the two of us.

Hope that helps
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

To anyone in Oz that can offer advice if I have wildly over estimated, then please let me know.
Oh and whilst adding I made a mistake, it's $3409.
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Hi Bagdog,

There shouldn't be any council rates if you are renting. I also think that the broadband is low - who is the quote with?

I paid my car insurance outright, but that's missing as well as travel expenses general whether petrol or public (I pay around $30 petrol, and young spark does another $5 - $10 on buses with student card)

Not sure if you want to look at private medical as well - ours is $140 month for just the two of us.

Hope that helps

It was taken from a couple of sites, I took the average. I'm sure the packages vary like here for higher users etc.

I have not included car costs and it's a fair point. I was looking at public transport to start with. But yes a car cost would probably have to be considered for most.

Good news about rates !

Cheers
Old Sep 30th 2013, 8:43 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bagdog
It was taken from a couple of sites, I took the average. I'm sure the packages vary like here for higher users etc.

I have not included car costs and it's a fair point. I was looking at public transport to start with. But yes a car cost would probably have to be considered for most.

Good news about rates !

Cheers
You could be over on the water - mine is $68 for 3 months plus usage but I'm SA not WA

You could also be under on food - me and the young spark get our shopping on around that much but I don't eat meat, and he doesn't eat fruit. People I work with spend around $200 - $300 week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.