Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by JM&D
Late notice for those still needing Exercise ECG...........

Dr Milton MALTZ, 58 Harley Street, London, W1 will do the test for you for £250.

Practice number - 0207 580 3145/ 0207 323 9292

Tell him it's for the SA police and he'll guarentee the price.

Cheers
If you travel to swindon it is only £90, can post details if required. Only 1 hr from London by train.

Ann
Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

neil549 is an unknown quantity at this point

Afternoon all

Bit of updated news for you, as myself and the other half just got home from phsical/interviews today.
There are still some spaces left for March. What they are doing is putting everyone into a pool who can go in March that weren't offered contracts but were successful. this includes people who are being seen this week. they will then decide who out of this pool they were mopre impressed with, and a phone call should come along by Friday. For the others, it is just waiting until they finalised things. I was interviewed today by a Chief Super, who was very pleasant, and told me they will have more intakes but they can't offically say that yet. Again, it is more than likely going to be the end of this week at the earliest that we will hear.
She also said they are aware of this site, and have been reading the posts, so even if you are pi**ed off, I wouldn't stress just how much here!!!!

I know it is a pain waiting, but it will come. Everything that I was told today was very positive, and they appreciate us being patient. We will all get out there (incuding me and the better half, as we were 'unofficially' successful!!)
And as I'm sure has been mentioned before, why would they waste their time staying in cold, rainy UK interviewing, if they have got their 60 and aren't taking any more??
Anyway, good luck to those still to go this week, we are off for an 'unofficial' celebratary drink tonight, and of course to watch the mighty reds beat the other lot!!!

Neil
Old Feb 1st 2005, 4:55 pm
GMC1

aeb78 is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know the name of the hotel, very near to lords?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Article from Aussie Paper below or click on link.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...5E2682,00.html

Why can't we find 200 police officers
By NIGEL HUNT
02feb05

THE Police Association has for the first time questioned Police Commissioner Mal Hyde's move to recruit police in the United Kingdom.

Association president Peter Alexander yesterday said the move was "surprising" and that a number of questions surrounded the initiative.

While the association will warmly welcome the first 60 British recruits when they arrive next month, it believes more effort should have been put into recruiting within Australia.

"Is South Australia, or indeed the entire nation, truly devoid of 200 suitable candidates for police recruitment?" Mr Alexander said.

"How many young South Australians have been deemed unsuitable for employment by SAPOL and why have they been rejected?"

Association executives had held talks with Mr Hyde over the UK initiative and were so far satisfied existing officers would not be disadvantaged.

The UK recruits would be offered no financial incentive to come to SA, but housing assistance was still being discussed.

"A range of industrial and people issues remain associated with the recruitment initiative which we will be closely monitoring," Mr Alexander said.

Mr Alexander said two association executives last month visited New Zealand to examine the recruitment of British officers in Auckland where 82 officers were recruited over the past two years.

Mr Hyde said yesterday every avenue to find recruits locally had been exhausted and many people within the local labour market were "unemployable or not desirable employees".

Record low unemployment rates had reduced the labour pool and competition for suitable employees from other Australian police jurisdictions and overseas was intense.

"The answer is not to reduce your standards and to take people who would otherwise be unsuitable to be police officers," Mr Hyde said.

"We have the best reputation in Australia and it would be absolutely foolish to introduce people into the organisation who don't meet the standards the community expects.

"I am not about to drop the level of our service to the community by recruiting people who are not up to scratch."

Mr Hyde said a review of recruiting practices and standards had led to some minor entry requirements being relaxed – such as proof of community involvement by applicants – and a new recruiting campaign launched last month. "We have redoubled our efforts to recruit from the local labour market because that is our priority," he said.

"We are only looking at interstate and overseas (opportunities) to supplement the shortfall we have in our local labour market."

SAPOL is aiming to employ 300 new cadets this financial year to keep pace with recruiting targets.

At least another 200 are also required next year to keep pace with attrition and meet the State Government's promise of another 200 officers.

Mr Hyde also said some cadet courses were cancelled last year because attrition levels had slowed and staffing levels would have been over budget if they had proceeded.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

You may find this interesting:

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...5E2682,00.html
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Nancy,
You beat me
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by primrose
Nancy,
You beat me
We must have both been typing at the same time! Spooky :scared:
Thanks for posting it for us Primrose, I got the article from the Adelaide Brits from DanChap so Thanks Dan.

Cheers Nancy
Old Feb 1st 2005, 5:22 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aeb78
There is a Ramada directly opposite, I am staying there thursday night. if you haven't already booked, go to www.alpharooms.com do a search on london, on the advanced search select 4* hotels and it is the first one that comes up. Single occupancy in a double room £61 B+B. The great thing is, once you have done your physical, you can go back to the hotel, have a shower and then order 25 cheesburgers to make up for all the abstinence !!!

By the way if anyone is desperate for shower facilities on Friday with nowhere to go, you are welcome to use my room, even if you want to just leave your stuff there (you can trust me, I'm a police man, even if I am a scouser!)

Phil.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

bazza1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Take this in the spirit its meant.
A BIT OF LIGHT HEARTED FUN.
The Police formed a Rowing Team.
The Police and a team of Japanese workers agreed to hold a boat race.
Each Boat would contain Ten men.
Both teams worked equally hard to get into the best shape.
On the day of the race, both teams were well prepared.
The Japanese team won the race by one mile.
The Police team were demoralised.
Top Police management stepped in to ensure the race would be won next year, so they formed a working party, and established a Team of Analysts with representation from Local Partnerships to observe the situation and recommend an appropriate solution.
After several months of detailed analysis, the Police discovered that the Japanese had Nine rowers and only one Captain, however the Police team had Nine Captains & only One rower.
Facing such a critical scenario, the management showed unexpected wisdom.
They hired a consultancy to restructure the police team.
After several weeks, the consultants came to the conclusion that there were too many Captains and not enough rowers in the Police team.
A solution was proposed suggesting that the structure of the Police team must change.
The Police team will now only have Four Captains, led by Two Service Managers, a Health & Safety Official, a Welfare Officer and a Superintendent to supervise and ensure all relevant facilities are in place to meet the needs of the rower.
It was also suggested that the rowers working environment should be improved, along with a performance incentive to encourage maximum performance.
The next year the Japanese team won by two miles.
The Police team then dismissed the rower from the team on the grounds of unsatisfactory performance, but a bonus was paid to the Management Team for the strong leadership & motivation that they had shown during the preparation phase.
The consulting company prepared a new analysis which showed that although the strategy was good, and the motivation was OK, the tool used was substandard and had to be improved.
Currently a new Police Management and Review Team has been established to discuss proposals for the design of a new boat.

There is a vacancy for a new rower in this months Personnel Bulletin.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Vicar is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking on the positive side that we are going some time in the next year, has anyone concidered taking their family pets with them, ie cats and dogs. i have 2 cats and a dog and have got one quote for over £4000. Rediculous amount, and thats without even flying into Adelaide so there is extra exspense there and quarantine costs.
Coral[/QUOTE]

We are also trying to be positive, hubby goes on Monday for fitness/interview!

I contacted 'Airpets' tel 01753 685571 to be told that it would be between £1300 - £1500 for 2 cats to fly London to Sydney/Mel/Perth as they would have to be in quarantine for 30 days and they can only "stay" there. Then you would have to pay for their 30 day "holiday" about $800 each.... also would need a crate each £50 !!!! then they would have to be collected!
Have a look at www.aussiemove.com for more stuff about taking pets etc!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Nice post Bazza!

Vicar in answer to your pets question.... yes we are taking our dog she is only little so only going to be about £800, I say "only" but that is a mental amount!

But there is heaps of threads on this Forum in the Australia section re taking pets.... also previous threads on the Adelaidebrits forum for pets so check those out. I have had a few quotes but there are some recommendations on the threads so go through them. Sorry can't be more specific with help but these threads were back in September/October so you may have to use the "search" button. I think my best quote was with Animal Airlines, and at the time they had a 2 page article in the "Migration" news paper I get each month so I felt happy with them.

You will also find threads on people whos pets have come out the otherside fit and well, so helpful to read them and set your mind at rest.
You can visit your pets whilst in Quarenteen and walk your dogs but there is no centre in SA, So might be a bit far if your in SA. I think there is one in Victoria but if not then Sydney and Perth for sure. I am going to stay local for the 30 days when we go as I can't bare the thought of her in there lonely.

Anyway enough Pet talk on here.... check out the threads I'll try and find them for you and let you know.

Nancy
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Here are some of the DOG threads.... hope it helps some of it is chit chat but some useful info!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=dog

Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

bydand is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

It's the Ramada Plaza which is just across the road from Lord's by the look of the map...we booked on line for £86 for the pair of us. Will be there on Thursday 3/2/05 for whole shabang on Friday...deepest joy!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 8:53 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bydand
It's the Ramada Plaza which is just across the road from Lord's by the look of the map...we booked on line for £86 for the pair of us. Will be there on Thursday 3/2/05 for whole shabang on Friday...deepest joy!
Bydand.

What time is your physical? I am down for the 9.30am one and also staying at the ramada thursday night

Phil.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Chris Mason is an unknown quantity at this point

It's the Ramada Plaza, the rooms are more than adequate however the contiental breakfast is a litlle small. that being said you won't want a big one if youv'e got the fitness test later. Get the tube to St Johns Wood, and it,s aout 5 minutses walk from there. Great thing is it's next to Lords, breakfast is in the bar,if you come out of the entrance located in the bar next to the Mintys resturant (i think that's what it's called, where they do the full english) and turn left down St Johns wood road it's about 1 minutes walk to the banqueting suites as per the e-mail. Dead easy, good luck with everything.
Chris

PS. Just enter the ramada plaza St johns Wood on the internet and it'll come up with the site. But try differnt sites as the price differs dependant on the booking agent. Mine cost me £69 but the price differed quite a bit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.