expenses

Old Jul 12th 2007, 4:47 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: expenses

looking at washers and dryers, dvd's home cinema and tv's. costco is ok, the extended guarentee and the ease of return is tempting, but other stores do seem to be cheaper with better offers. the brick has a discount outlet, though i am aware many have had a nightmare dealing with them, but i gather most of this has been with delivery, so if you pick up?, have to see. sears has been recommended, as has future shop.
anyway, washer and dryer, the top loader type, around $800 for both, the really big 20lb capacity front loaders, whirlpool and the like, around $1400, think thats near top of the range though.
tv's, 32" lcd $800, 40" $1,200, 50" $2,000, think this last one was plasma though, all either panasonic or samsung, seemed to have the best picture and deffinition ratio for the cash. there were cheaper makes.
home cinema panasonic, $300
dvd, recordable, panasonice, $350

had a lionel blair haircut, $10.
looking at dell pc "19 flat screen, 1gb, amd athlon 64x2, 250 gb hard drive, $799
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:46 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

gym membership. on your own, $50 mth, thats with professional discount, so if you don't get it, add 20%. double up for dual, as you'd expect i suppose, with another 25% for kids. there was a $150 joining fee also. you may be able to get cheaper, i know the ymca for instance does individual classes at around $5.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:17 am
rae
Settled.

some basics.
chart cd $13.99
work/dress shirt, good quality one, $40
cheapo dyson copy vacuum $150
40" samsung 5000:1 ratio hd lcd tv $1400
32" lcd tv $650
surround sound system $400, this is really good one, 100w pioneer. 6 speakers
panasonic dvd $150
digitial cordless house phone $80-150 depending on how many handsets you want and answerphone, the dearest had 4 sets.
tefal iron $50
black and decker stainless steel kettle $30
46 piece silverware set, knives forks etc $46
24 piece glassware $20
12 huge muffins $6.99!!!!
2xking size pillows $140
sheet set $90
bath towel $10.99
natuzi 3 seater leather sofa $900, matching reclining chair, $560
night stand chest of drawers, solid wood $139
king size solid wood 'sliegh' type roll top bed, $760
computer, pent processor, 1 gb ram, 1024 mb ddr2 mem, 320g hard drive, 22" flat lcd monitor, $900.

now you have an idea what my house is going to look like.

and most imortantly i don't think i have mentioned beer anywhere, 15 can pack lager, $22.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 7:49 pm
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ann m
What, in Edmonton - or Canada in general ?? I'm going to have to say that will scare a lot of people and it must very much depend on your outgoings, especially the size of your mortgage which is going to be the big one. I'm going to disagree on the $6k per month remark for now - but come back to me in a year! We have colleagues living reasonably well on his one police salary in Calgary.

Take home for PC whilst in training is going to be about $3800 per month. After training, to some degree, I understand, it's up to you. If you want or can do the overtime, you can have it paid or banked as time - to be taken off at a later date (ie, add it on to your poor annual leave!).
And if you have to do the court dates or public holidays, you are more than fairly remunerated ...

Perhaps some of the regulars on here may wish to comment ! Are you guys muddling by OK on one salary - or are both of you working full or part-time?
$3800 it would be nice if its that much but I think you will be suprised when your hubby receives his 1st pay check. Its not that much let me tell you!!!!!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:14 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Nickola
$3800 it would be nice if its that much but I think you will be suprised when your hubby receives his 1st pay check. Its not that much let me tell you!!!!!
i'm sure that was a best guess, no harm intended. the trouble is its so up and down at first, some deductions are taken immediately, some after a couple of months as i'm sure you know, if you have an accurate figure do tell. i would say at first, from what i have been told this is not far off, however it will dip when everything starts to come off, you'll also have to allow for different tax allowances, married man, kids etc.
i have not had my first cheque yet, still a week to go, however anecdotally the least you can expect is going to be around $1550 bi weekly, for a constable at the 5yr grade, married, kids.
i'm happy to share when i get my wage slip, let you know.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nickola
Ok - do tell !! Do I need to adjust my shopping now

Yes, this was a figure given to us by others in the CPS.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:34 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ann m
Ok - do tell !! Do I need to adjust my shopping now

Yes, this was a figure given to us by others in the CPS.
from what i understand ann, this will be about right once out of training with the shift allowance, around a $1.05 per hour i believe, but whilst in training you obviously do not qualify for this. it will be a struggle at first no doubt, but i do not think most of us are here for the money it is accepted its not great, but i'd still rather be here and do without certain luxuries short term.
some good news, a 5% raise has been agreed, effective from dec.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

respecttradition is an unknown quantity at this point

EPS bi weekly salary for the first 3 months is exactly $1684 - after 3 months when benefits start it is reduced by $100 there or therabouts dependant on what life insurance you have taken out etc. This is for a married person. Allowances include a boot allowance of $500 per year payable in January. A pair of boots - Danner or Han Wag will set you back $270 but should last at least 3 years.
Old Aug 9th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

rodders5 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi am still considering applying and doing my research have found this site great!
Can I just ask advice on one or two bits, I know this will be hard question to answer and have read costs you have posted but do you think a couple could happily survive on one officers wage I have 10 years service so would go on upper pay scale, I appreciate That I will be losing certain things and luxories.
Also I am sure I read somewhere that only get 2 weeks annual leave, is this right?? what do you do to subsodise a/l, can you do anything??
cheers for all the great advice and help so far!
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Hi rodders5

Yes, I'm sure you could survive on one wage - plenty do - but it may hugely depend on any mortgage you have. How big are those outgoings? Only you can answer how you rate 'survive' versus 'living ok' versus 'living quite well' or better than you have been! House prices here (whilst pretty reasonable compared to a lot of the UK) are, comparatively speaking, pretty high and going up all the time. You'll know how much cash you can bring. But if you end up needing, say, a $300,000 mortgage here, what will that do to your 'surviveability'? Is there a likelihood in the near future of your other half working if they need or want to?

I'll stick my neck out here and say, on the whole, costs of living are pretty similar - some things are a lot cheaper - houses, cars, petrol (but you drive further distances), eating out; some things are more expensive - car insurance, chicken (!), winter utility bills, wine; and some things are much of a muchness - it pretty much equals out. So, just like the UK, the big household expenses, ie, mortgage, loans, etc are the deciding factors as to whether you will be (or feel) better off. That does not take account of anything else you may be getting out of a move to Canada, ie, any sense of well-being, sunshine, big skies, space, health, happy kids, happy other-half etc !!!

As for annual leave, mmm, not good ! But you can do overtime, bank holidays etc, and 'bank' the time instead of taking it paid, then take it as days off later. Might depend on how much you need that income - maybe a mix and match is possible?!

Keep thinking, get that application in and come for a recce
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Ashleyg is on a distinguished road

Rae, i understand this is the 'Expenses' thread but seems one of the more active.

Im curious, what is the uniform and quality like?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

rodders5 is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers ann, other half is going to look for work when come she is currently also a police officer but doesnt want to continue and so both want flexibility of not having to rely on her earnings. Thats why keen to know if could survive on just my wage.
Think we could if similar to uk, just didnt want to go for it and then find out couldnt achieve what we wanted, we are looking to come out in october, wanted to come winter to see if could cope with cold????? how cold?????
How did you guys organise a ride along when there?
oh and looks like we will be giving up the chicken thing then??? unless we start a chicken farm???
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:55 am
rae
Settled.

hi all, plenty of updates at first as i was sad on my own with no mates or family and the course had not started so plenty of time to post. since i last wrote lots has changed, 5 weeks into the course, wife and child with me, mortgaged to the hilt again and in my own home.
sticking with the thread, lots of other expenses to give you an idea, and we have managed on one wage so far, but with little spends or money to save, nut our mortgage is $1250 per mth.
i have been consistently taking home $1800 every 2 weeks, but full healthcare deductions yet to kick in and so expect this to change shortly, also tax code will change no clare is working, currently on tax break for her and child so obviously effects take home.
anyway, had to lease 2nd vehicle, brand new hyundai tucson, $250 per mth, 3yrs. 2 new 4X4 tyres for santa fe, $400 for both, fitted. fees for lawyer to buy house, $1400, av. mobile bill with rogers, $35 per mth, and i don't use it much. deck, $2,000, fencing, $3000, turf and landscaping $2,000. we bought a new build which is basically just the house and a building site, these prices include everything and all done, the area is not massive by any stretch. taxes per year $3000, thats your council tax.
on the plus side, bought some kids sorrell -30 snow boots, $30, wifes north face ones, $70. filling up 4x4 for $60 that lasts for around 600km. oil change $45-70 depending on where you go. kids dvd 7 day rental, 99cents!! went bowling, lane for an hour $35, inc shoes. jug of beer, which you get 3 pints out of $12 roughly at most places.
for you DIYers, decent elec drill, $80, really good cordless makita $250, drywall 8x4 $12 per sheet, got a great tape measure for $5, 21ft ladders $40. that last bit sounds a bit sad i know, but if you are buying a home that needs renovation i think you'll find most building supplies quite cheap. roll of insulation, 16" gap, $33.
also got 2 good quality mountain bikes, $180 each, 'carrera' or something similar, no expert, they have the front suspension things and lots of shimano gears.
all the best, rae.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

TinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond reputeTinaH has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rae,

Just wanted to say great post, really informative and great for all us newbies on our way out there!

All the best for everything, hope you all are really enjoying your new home, life and DIY!!!

Kind regards,
Tina
Old Sep 24th 2007, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rae
i have been consistently taking home $1800 every 2 weeks, but full healthcare deductions yet to kick in and so expect this to change shortly,
CPS take-home has been approx $1685. Alberta Health deductions already taken off. So about $100 short of what we were expecting. For info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.