EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Originally Posted by nige1521
Guyfawkes,

Your options to join RCMP are limited. You'll either have to get citizenship through another route or consider applying to a provincial police service, as and when they recruit internationally and obtain PR status. At least this way, you can get citizenship after residing in Canada for 3 years out of 4 I think.

Nige
Thanks Nigel, however this info was for the benefits of others as I am already a Canadian citizen (albeit serving in UK police) and am in the latter stages of the process for RCMP, however from what I hear they are finding it hard to recruit and retain experienced officers.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Guyfawkes,

I'll consider myself admonished lol
That'll teach me for not reading the previous threads properly! Working lates all week, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

Regards

Nige
Old Feb 10th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

boshwaggle will become famous soon enough

Guyfawkes,

I'll consider myself admonished lol
That'll teach me for not reading the previous threads properly! Working lates all week, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol

Regards

Nige
No worries, in point of fact until I believe 1970s one had merely to be a British subject to be eligible for RCMP. Same for other Canadian police forces. The RCMP's red uniform came from the traditional British Army red serge to distinguish them from the US Cavalry at border and frontier posts and it is modelled on the British Army in terms of ranks, drill, etc even to this day. Many of its first members were recruited directly from the UK, including the Royal Irish Constabulary.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 5:43 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyfawkes
Thanks Nigel, however this info was for the benefits of others as I am already a Canadian citizen (albeit serving in UK police) and am in the latter stages of the process for RCMP, however from what I hear they are finding it hard to recruit and retain experienced officers.
we have several with the division i work in at EPS and one down the road from me about to move. they all quote uncertainty within the RCMP with regard to their careers and where they may end up.

for those in the process, no news i'm afraid, still the one class for the autumn. i think a contractual agreement pending for well over a year that may come to a head in June may have an impact, i'll let you know.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Rae,

Is the contractual agreement, pay rise? According to the EPS budget report, they have factored in 4.5% until they have agreed.

There was an article in the Edmonton Journal yesterday:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...629/story.html

So, I'm not sure whether this 35 is extra or if it's the only class of 2010.

Nige
Old Feb 11th 2010, 8:32 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Rae,

Is the contractual agreement, pay rise? According to the EPS budget report, they have factored in 4.5% until they have agreed.

There was an article in the Edmonton Journal yesterday:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...629/story.html

So, I'm not sure whether this 35 is extra or if it's the only class of 2010.

Nige
hi, yes its the pay rise, they are after a match with the fire fighters as currently we are paid less than they are, its around 6%. they also want it backdated to dec 08 i think it is when all this should have been sorted out. i can't see us getting both personally.

the 35 are the provincially funded positions which have to have x number of locally recruited officers to supplement them. as i understand it the class at the moment and the one at the end of the year accomplish this as they are in different tax time periods, or something like that.

the money set aside is purely to do with the pay so should not affect things really, but i think politically a hiring freeze may go hand in hand with a pay dispute, but that may just be me being cynical.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

StuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant future
Smile Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Originally Posted by rae
we have several with the division i work in at EPS and one down the road from me about to move. they all quote uncertainty within the RCMP with regard to their careers and where they may end up.

for those in the process, no news i'm afraid, still the one class for the autumn. i think a contractual agreement pending for well over a year that may come to a head in June may have an impact, i'll let you know.
RAE - Had an email and phonecall from my F.M.

International recruiting has been suspended and my application has been culled in the process.
To be fair, my F.M shared my sheer depression on the matter and to say I am shattered and lain to waste is a gross understatement. 18years of this and frankly, it'll be a bloody miracle if I get to see retirement or my boys having the better opportunities at life and skills here!

Absolutely eviscerated!

Last edited by StuArc; Feb 12th 2010 at 5:41 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Dallas2009 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StuArc

International recruiting has been suspended and my application has been culled in the process.
To be fair, my F.M shared my sheer depression on the matter and to say I am shattered and lain to waste is a gross understatement. 18years of this and frankly, it'll be a bloody miracle if I get to see retirement or my boys having the greater opportunities here!

Absolutely eviscerated!
StuArc,

I am so sorry to hear the bad news. Try to stay positive and keep your head up. One thing that I have learned about EPS over the years is that they constantly change around everything, maybe early next year they will hire international applicants or maybe even in the fall if they dont find the right people here in Canada. I just always try to stay positive. Sorry again and best wishes to you and your family.

PS-Its early right now and Rae might be able to find out some more information on what they are going to do with the international applicants in the next few months...you never know!!

Sincerely,

Dallas2009
Old Feb 12th 2010, 5:46 pm
rae
Settled.

To be fair, my F.M shared my sheer depression on the matter and to say I am shattered and lain to waste is a gross understatement. 18years of this and frankly, it'll be a bloody miracle if I get to see retirement or my boys having the better opportunities at life and skills here!

Absolutely eviscerated!
i'm very sorry to hear what was a very badly kept secret here finally confirmed officially. as dallas puts it though things are constantly changing here so never say never. best of luck for the future, stay in touch, cheers rae.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:00 pm
Wish I was elsewhere!

sulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant futuresulley has a brilliant future

Stu,

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully they'll start again and will still keep your app up at the top of the list.

Steve
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Karenmart332 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Stu,

Hubby also got an email basically saying that his file has been placed on hold until demand for new recruits increases and that they will no longer be processing international applications.

I feel deflated...but I know it must be so much worse for you and others who have actually been over there and passed all the rigourous testing etc...what a waste financially and psychologically.

I wish you and your family the very best of luck in the future,

Karen

Absolutely eviscerated!
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
Live life to the full

treacle1 is an unknown quantity at this point

StuArc and the rest in that/this position,

I think other people have said it all and like wise karen well said.

Lee
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

StuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant futureStuArc has a brilliant future
Smile Re: EDMONTON POLICE SERVICE

Cheers all for your sentiments.

There is one another I know of in a similar position and others who I am not aware of.

ASHG - same to you mate.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

tim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant futuretim010 has a brilliant future

Stu

I'm really sorry to hear the news mate. You've been a great asset to many on here. Hopefully you will get where you want to be in the end.

Tim
Old Feb 13th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

To Stu and all the others in the same position,

We are very sorry to hear this news. We hope the situation changes for the better soon.

Les & Sara

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.