Club One Five '0'

Old Feb 20th 2005, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

peteg182 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Club One Five '0'

Originally Posted by Ink8455
Yep, but have you worked out any figures of what we need to pay in?

I have 16 years service and am 37, leaving me 22 years to pay into their scheme.

What can I expect after 22 years subcription and retiring at 60?
Again this is from a layman. Most superannuation scemes work on a 1/80th final salery scheme which means for every year of service you earn 1/80th of your final years salary. After 22 years you would earn 22/80th or 11/40th of your final salary in annual pension. A little over 1/4. You also should get a pro rata lump sum. In UK it is normally 3 x final salary if you have completed 40 years. It's not fantastic but then again you do not pay a very high rate, about 6 % of you salary.

Hope this helps and is not too far from the truth.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

We've been trying to work out the costs, and wondered if we've missed anything?

Our family consists of 2 adults and 1 child.

Flights £1500 (seems best to go for an open flight as not much difference in one way)

Dogs (x2) £4000 + collection and possible additional kennel fees in Melborne.

20ft container £4000 (Allied Pickford)

Exchange rate ????

Loss in converting currency, and do the Government take a % ?????

The loss of selling everything over here that we've accumulated and still going (items, not us), against the cost or purchasing replacements over there.
Cars, furniture, TV, video, phones, tumble dryer(???), washing machine, LAWNMOWER. (You can't take lawnmowers)

Finally, wage, pension etc.

As we understand it, we will get our UK Police pension at 60 (or is it 65?).
Do we get any other UK pension?
Linda stated we can't buy in to the SAPOL pension, so has anyone worked out pension schemes? How much we have to pay in for the length of service we still have to do?

I was going to retire at 51 but that now seems like 60.

I would get £90,000 and £1300 a month if I retired today with 30 yrs service.

Is there anything we've overlooked?

We reckon, that the whole process should cost around £40,000 when the above is included and the probability that we will not get the best price for either our house or cars, and not including UK Police pension.

Any one with any other figures, or views?

Hi

To answer a few of your enquiries.

Allied Pickfords for VERY expensive, we are having quotes this week and next, so I will post the costs.

Alan is going on the March intake, but I will follow when the house sells, so I have been looking at flights about June time, and because our eldest daughter is 12 she is classed as an adult , so for 2 adults and one child at the moment it is £1,108.40 with Singapore airlines, with a short stop over at Singapore.

In relation to the exchange rate, we are currently looking into a company which Alan's father has used recently, and again will let you all know when we refine all details.

In relation to selling everything the washing machine packed up two days ago, so we are buying a new one, just to let the 'short ladies/men' in Oz it's mainly top loading washing machines, I can't reach the bottom of them .

Dawn
Old Feb 20th 2005, 5:41 pm
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Hi Guys,

We've been trying to work out the costs, and wondered if we've missed anything?

Our family consists of 2 adults and 1 child.

Flights £1500 (seems best to go for an open flight as not much difference in one way)

Dogs (x2) £4000 + collection and possible additional kennel fees in Melborne.

20ft container £4000 (Allied Pickford)

Exchange rate ????

Loss in converting currency, and do the Government take a % ?????

The loss of selling everything over here that we've accumulated and still going (items, not us), against the cost or purchasing replacements over there.
Cars, furniture, TV, video, phones, tumble dryer(???), washing machine, LAWNMOWER. (You can't take lawnmowers)

Finally, wage, pension etc.

As we understand it, we will get our UK Police pension at 60 (or is it 65?).
Do we get any other UK pension?
Linda stated we can't buy in to the SAPOL pension, so has anyone worked out pension schemes? How much we have to pay in for the length of service we still have to do?

I was going to retire at 51 but that now seems like 60.

I would get £90,000 and £1300 a month if I retired today with 30 yrs service.

Is there anything we've overlooked?

We reckon, that the whole process should cost around £40,000 when the above is included and the probability that we will not get the best price for either our house or cars, and not including UK Police pension.

Any one with any other figures, or views?
Hi All,
with regard to your electrical goods i have been informed (yet to be confirmed) that the electrical voltage is the same as UK and you will be able to have plugs changed to OZ ones thus saving a few quid on having to sell at a loss and not having to buy all new (if your tight like me!!!!) hope this helps.
mick.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:00 pm
G&F
Just Joined

G&F is an unknown quantity at this point

hi everyone,
fraser has rellies in WA, and they have been back and forth a few times to the UK. We can confirm that the voltage is the same, all you need to do is buy new plugs in oz. Leave the tv's behind`they wont work, videos will play vids but not record any oz tv, dvd players are ok though.Toasters, w/machines and all the other household electrical items are fine. As for cars etc, Frasers bro in law is a mechanic and reckons that its not worth taking cars that have seen a British winter over to oz, due to all the salt and crap on the roads.His sister recently moved over to Perth and used a very reliable and reasonable shipper. Will do some digging and report back later. Pickfords are over priced and not very careful!
Gail & Fraser
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

ronniecat25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A&M
Hi All,
with regard to your electrical goods i have been informed (yet to be confirmed) that the electrical voltage is the same as UK and you will be able to have plugs changed to OZ ones thus saving a few quid on having to sell at a loss and not having to buy all new (if your tight like me!!!!) hope this helps.
mick.
Hi you lot. My daily post!
We had our Xmas doooo re-visited last night, even without the power cut is was worse than the last.
If anyone else out there is an old git like me. You are worrying about your pension................. I will have 26 years in when I go but guess what. I will get lump sum at 50 plus my pension of about £14 k from UK. if I take it and the lump sum or declare it over there they will be entitled to 47% tax even on the lump sum. So not only am I losing £48k by going 4 years early I'm also likely to get clobbered in OZ for tax. Working furiously to avoid this!!!!
We have been told that the electrics are compatible but are buying all new white goods there. You only live once. I'm going to get one of those SOD OFF fridge freezers, that you can camp in, for all the beer I'm going to get for the barbies.
Just been to my mum's this move really hasn't gone down well I feel that I'm going to Coventry not OZ.

Ronnie
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

D and L will become famous soon enoughD and L will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Club One Five '0'

I'm gettin the same sh** from Laura's family, but the only reason they've got the arse is that they're too chicken or couldn't get the points to go themselves !

Now, I understand that it's gonna cost us, and yes we're gonna lose some pension. Personally, I'm on for retiring here at 48 on a guvnors pension, so we'd be comfortable enough....but....we'd be putting up with crap weather, and everything else which is putting the UK down the pan. Give me the chance to start again in Oz from scratch, and I'll grab it with both hands. Costly, yes, no doubt, but you can't put a price on the quality of life we'll be giving ourselves and families.

And Ronniecat, I'll be the one behind you in the queue for one of those fridges, although I'll be filling it with cheap plonk !!

Dan
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

CheshirePS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A&M
Hi All,
mick.
I have a friend that lives in Adelaide and she emigrated out there last year. The electrical system is the same so a quick change of the plugs will make all appliances taken over there work. One word of note however is that TV's taken over there will not accept the incoming signal so if you want to take them over for playstations or for UK videos/DVD then okay but otherwise you will have to buy or rent a new one
Hope that helps
Old Feb 20th 2005, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

D and L will become famous soon enoughD and L will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: Club One Five '0'

Hiya all,

Just wanted to say welcome to all the new names that keep popping up, its great that word is getting about and people are adding to the thread. Managed to kick Dan off the computer and get a look in for a change. Just wanted to say thanks to Ann for making the 150 webpage, its great to put faces to names.... we will be sending a pic of the Carltons shortly, but have realised today that we have loads of pics of the kids, but none of us!!

Keep adding all the info, its great to read and if and when we get the nod from the powers in SA we will have some knowledge of what to take and the costs of things.

Good luck to those of you that are trying to sell your houses, we havent taken the plunge with anything yet. We will wait to see the results of Dans hearing thing before committing to anything.... fingers crossed for when we fax SA police this week!!!

Look forward to reading some more additions....

Laura
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:25 pm
servibabe

servibabe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by A&M
Hi All,
mick.
I have been told by H that this is correct, the electrical appliances do work, our digital camera was compatible with our friends TV in QL however dvd players/play stations are not compatible with OZ dvd's as they are differently coded, UK DVD players are ok for uk bought DVD's but not Ozzy ones. If you have an all regions one then this will be ok.

Coral and H

Last edited by servibabe; Feb 20th 2005 at 9:35 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:32 pm
servibabe

Originally Posted by D and L
I'm gettin the same sh** from Laura's family, but the only reason they've got the arse is that they're too chicken or couldn't get the points to go themselves !

Now, I understand that it's gonna cost us, and yes we're gonna lose some pension. Personally, I'm on for retiring here at 48 on a guvnors pension, so we'd be comfortable enough....but....we'd be putting up with crap weather, and everything else which is putting the UK down the pan. Give me the chance to start again in Oz from scratch, and I'll grab it with both hands. Costly, yes, no doubt, but you can't put a price on the quality of life we'll be giving ourselves and families.

And Ronniecat, I'll be the one behind you in the queue for one of those fridges, although I'll be filling it with cheap plonk !!

Dan
Well half our our new ****off fridge will be full of bundy and coke cans as you can by it already mixed in OZ mmmmm cant wait. Still got a vintage bottle to crack open when we get the go ahead.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:34 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by servibabe
I have been told by H that this is correct, the electrical appliances do work, our digital camera was compatible with our friends TV in QL however dvd players/play stations are not compatible with OZ dvd's as they are differently coded, UK DVD players are ok for uk bought DVD's but not Ozzy ones. If you have an all regions one then this will be ok.

Coral and H
Once and for all.... ALL electrical items will work in Oz EXCEPT anything that receives TV signals. DVD players will work with your current UK DVDs, MOST DVD players are multiregion, you can get codes from T'internet to make your DVD player multiregion (usually by keypresses on the remote)
VCRs won't work,
Playstations will with your current UK games, if you have a chipped Playstation, this bypasses the the regionality (spelling?).
At the end of the day a DVD player in Oz is the same price as one in the uK (+/- £40) and the same for a VCR, Unfortunately I have to sell my £1000 TV as it won't work over there!!!
Who needs TV/VCR/DVD anyway, we will all be out having barbies!!!

Phil.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 8:07 am
servibabe

Originally Posted by SFM
I've managed to source some very cheap domain hosting for the next year so I've set up a forum specifically for all us at www.******-*****.com .

There are enough of us concerned in this to make it worth while creating our own forum, which we can control and change to our own needs. Don't feel that you need to use it, however have a look and see what you think.

If anyone objects or thinks it's a bad idea then please let me know.
Yes i think this is a good idea, and i have registered however there will be some very useful people using this forum who may not know about the other one and we may loose information.

This new forum will need to be repeated on a regular basis on this forum if we dont want to miss anything, or any new comers.

Coral
Old Feb 21st 2005, 9:24 am
realistic & optimistic

brian1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by D and L

Dan
Dan,

No not cheap plonk, value for money!! Let's hire a truck and see if we can make a dent in the Barossa Valley!!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 10:02 am
A&M
Forum Regular

A&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant futureA&M has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by claguey
Once and for all.... ALL electrical items will work in Oz EXCEPT anything that receives TV signals. DVD players will work with your current UK DVDs, MOST DVD players are multiregion, you can get codes from T'internet to make your DVD player multiregion (usually by keypresses on the remote)
VCRs won't work,
Playstations will with your current UK games, if you have a chipped Playstation, this bypasses the the regionality (spelling?).
At the end of the day a DVD player in Oz is the same price as one in the uK (+/- £40) and the same for a VCR, Unfortunately I have to sell my £1000 TV as it won't work over there!!!
Who needs TV/VCR/DVD anyway, we will all be out having barbies!!!

Phil.
Phil

Give you £150 for your telly!

Ang & Mick
Old Feb 21st 2005, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

tksb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SFM
I've managed to source some very cheap domain hosting for the next year so I've set up a forum specifically for all us at www.police-forum.com .

There are enough of us concerned in this to make it worth while creating our own forum, which we can control and change to our own needs. Don't feel that you need to use it, however have a look and see what you think.

If anyone objects or thinks it's a bad idea then please let me know.
Good Idea,
Hopefully, if I've got it right, the link will appear as signature, but if it's not there give me time.
Haven't said much lately, too busy pulling what's left of may hair out!!!
Hoping that we may hear before the weekend, and they won't drag it out to the end of the month - Monday!
I was there on the information day and have come away with the impression that we all - 150 of us - would know by the end of the month, did everyone else think this, or is my paranoia getting the better of me?

Trev.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.