Phone, internet, online

Old Mar 25th 2022, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone, internet, online

It has been pointed out to me that the the many problems with phone and internet service providers need to be in a thread of their own. We can also include suggestions and comments about online services, technical problems with computers, phones, TVs etc.

To kick things off:

I recently opened a new account with the Robinsons bank. Fine, except that when I tried to tried to use the debit card to pay for my passport renewal on the GOV.UK site Verified by Visa didn't authenticate it. I didn't look closely at first at the screen and thought it was because it is a new card. But a member of staff in the branch yesterday said my card is Ok for use and after consulting the manager fobbed me off with the excuse that it is a just a temporary glitch which will be fixed soon. Others have had problems too, she said.
But have now been able to investigate further and found it is really to do with a new extra level of security check by Visa called a "one time passcode", similar to the commonly used one time PIN for other banking transactions. Obviously Robinsons haven't yet installed it. Reading up a bit it seems not every merchant is using it and it is not so common away from Europe.

So a "heads up" for the rest of you if your bank is the same as Robinsons.

I will try to get a straight answer next week about when they will get this extra check working. But if it is a few weeks or more things will get difficult with the BI for me. So does anyone know if now you can renew your British Passport from here without using that site and without the need of a debit card ie just pay through the UK online banking system?

Old Mar 25th 2022, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone, internet, online

I find my HSBC Philippines debit card doesn't work outside banking hours for online transactions, unless it's a Lazada thing.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

It's my understanding that passport renewals can only be made through the GOV.UK site.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bealinehx
It's my understanding that passport renewals can only be made through the GOV.UK site.
A friend used to use his sister to apply online on his behalf from the UK, he emailed the photos to her and she just applied as if she was him, as far as I know it all went well.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

WiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really niceWiredTight is just really nice

From my understanding, after numerous phone calls to my bank - credit card company... credit card numbers are associated with a specific area or region where they issued from. Making a purchase from outside of this "Area" might mean having your transaction denied. This might be a specific bank security rule, or more likely the actual credit card company policy.
Solution that worked from me (after a dozen phone and emails) was to contact the international fraud - stolen - lost credit card toll free number on the back of the card, and have an administrator ADD additional regions - countries to be associated with your card. For instance...have them also add the UK region to your card.
It may take a few phone calls or transfers to get this done (this is not a normal request). Be nice - polite, and depending on where the credit card security office is located...it doesn't hurt to get the day time "A-team" manager involved (knowledge and extra administrative power).
Best of Luck.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WiredTight
From my understanding, after numerous phone calls to my bank - credit card company... credit card numbers are associated with a specific area or region where they issued from. Making a purchase from outside of this "Area" might mean having your transaction denied. This might be a specific bank security rule, or more likely the actual credit card company policy.
Solution that worked from me (after a dozen phone and emails) was to contact the international fraud - stolen - lost credit card toll free number on the back of the card, and have an administrator ADD additional regions - countries to be associated with your card. For instance...have them also add the UK region to your card.
It may take a few phone calls or transfers to get this done (this is not a normal request). Be nice - polite, and depending on where the credit card security office is located...it doesn't hurt to get the day time "A-team" manager involved (knowledge and extra administrative power).
Best of Luck.
Interesting.

That may partly account for the fact that although my Visa credit/debit cards work ok every where here my Master Cards don't. I get messages of unauthorised transaction or words to that effect at ATMs. To overcome that I use Wise to transfer to my BPI account and then proceed from there.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

If I intend to use my UK bank Dr or Cr cards they have an online section where you can detail in which country you intend to use the cards and for what length of time.
Just acquired a new iPhone no problem.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Re local debit cards have found out that the BPI Mastercard belonging to someone I know does enable the one time password. So looks like I need to make arrangements with him to get around this problem of Robinsons not being up to speed. Means travelling a long way, but needs must. Chose them as they have a convenient ATM near us but they are not a main bank here and so perhaps a bit slow. Some of their ATMs a bit old.

Would be nice if Wise offered one here, but at present in only 4 countries in this region.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffin
Re local debit cards have found out that the BPI Mastercard belonging to someone I know does enable the one time password. So looks like I need to make arrangements with him to get around this problem of Robinsons not being up to speed. Means travelling a long way, but needs must. Chose them as they have a convenient ATM near us but they are not a main bank here and so perhaps a bit slow. Some of their ATMs a bit old.

Would be nice if Wise offered one here, but at present in only 4 countries in this region.
Another way is to acquire a top up credit card in the UK and it can be used just about anywhere as long as you have the funds in it. We used to get them for our Filipino seamen, who sent them home and the family could use until the funds ran out and it was topped up again.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I renewed my childrens' passports X 2 it was done by post and I supplied my BPI credit card details which was no problem. I think they may need to be renewed again this year. I wonder if a BPI card will be accepted as I no longer have any UK bank relationships. Mine is due again at end of next year.
Old Mar 25th 2022, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Another way is to acquire a top up credit card in the UK and it can be used just about anywhere as long as you have the funds in it. We used to get them for our Filipino seamen, who sent them home and the family could use until the funds ran out and it was topped up again.
On the payment page it says something to the effect that not all pre-paid cards accepted.

Mike2: I am sure local Visa and Mastercard cards are accepted on the GOV.UK site. Just guessing that this OTP thing. especially with simple debit cards, may not have been fully adopted in some countries, like here.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

On the payment page it says something to the effect that not all pre-paid cards accepted.

Mike2: I am sure local Visa and Mastercard cards are accepted on the GOV.UK site. Just guessing that this OTP thing. especially with simple debit cards, may not have been fully adopted in some countries, like here.
I have trouble getting OTP from the UK, The gov site was taking 8-10 hours to get a code valid for 15 minutes.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I have trouble getting OTP from the UK, The gov site was taking 8-10 hours to get a code valid for 15 minutes.
Can you clarify G....you mean that you don't get the OTP from your UK bank...or you get it but then when you put it into the authentication box on GOV.UK it takes ages to authenticate because the UK bank doesn't send it to whoever is providing that box so it can be checked?
Old Mar 26th 2022, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Can you clarify G....you mean that you don't get the OTP from your UK bank...or you get it but then when you put it into the authentication box on GOV.UK it takes ages to authenticate because the UK bank doesn't send it to whoever is providing that box so it can be checked?
I was accessing the UK gov website to submit a small claims against a travel agent that owed me a ticket refund. To access the site requires logging into your account. Part of the process was to receive an OTP. I have a dual sim phone which has my EE sim in just for this reason. The first time I tried the OTP arrived 8 hours later, the next time a fewcweeks later it was nearer 10 hours.
Old Mar 26th 2022, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I was accessing the UK gov website to submit a small claims against a travel agent that owed me a ticket refund. To access the site requires logging into your account. Part of the process was to receive an OTP. I have a dual sim phone which has my EE sim in just for this reason. The first time I tried the OTP arrived 8 hours later, the next time a fewcweeks later it was nearer 10 hours.
I was struggling to get my bank OTP before it timed out or at all, so quick email to my personal banker, no reply in two weeks, so knowing how lazy banks are with their email naming ( mine uses last name.first name@ ) so looked up the CFO of the bank and copied her on my reply saying to my personal banker that I understood answering the bank's client queries was well below her pay grade could she at least have the courtesy of advising me who will. It was amazing the flurry of activity and problem solved within the hour.

Last edited by Stokkevn; Mar 26th 2022 at 9:15 pm. Reason: grammer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.