Moving to.philippnes

Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Johnkalbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to.philippnes

Originally Posted by Raffin
Nice photo. But the quesis are you still keen on La Union now you realise it's easy to get there from Angeles? The golden or two islands rule. From what you have said in this thread you might need its protection.
tell you what as we say from Yorkshire I have my dream.serving food and playing 60/70 music and I will be happy I learnt from a.indian chef 😀
Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Johnkalbo
tell you what as we say from Yorkshire I have my dream.serving food and playing 60/70 music and I will be happy I learnt from a.indian chef 😀
Well good luck with your dream, especially if you stick to Indian food. A few British Expats will like it, but from what I've seen locals are not keen. One resto here in Tagaytay in a good site on the main road closed down a few years ago. Very few in the parts of Manila I know.

But rather than being a chef you should have gone into politics. Because you often don't answer the question. You just answer your own question. People here are trying to help you as you have got their sympathy and display little knowledge of the country. First you say you're looking around, then a Visayan island was suggested ,you were enthusiastic for a while then you're not looking around anymore and want to get close to extended family on another (almost) island off Leyte. Then it's La Union.. Is it still? I am beginning to find it funny. Who will suggest a place next and will he go for it?

This is a forum where people discuss things, reply to questions. Not to put up old Yorkshire sayings. But I lived in Yorkshire for some years. Is having a dream anything people there especially say? No.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well good luck with your dream, especially if you stick to Indian food. A few British Expats will like it, but from what I've seen locals are not keen. One resto here in Tagaytay in a good site on the main road closed down a few years ago. Very few in the parts of Manila I know.

But rather than being a chef you should have gone into politics. Because you often don't answer the question. You just answer your own question. People here are trying to help you as you have got their sympathy and display little knowledge of the country. First you say you're looking around, then a Visayan island was suggested ,you were enthusiastic for a while then you're not looking around anymore and want to get close to extended family on another (almost) island off Leyte. Then it's La Union.. Is it still? I am beginning to find it funny. Who will suggest a place next and will he go for it?

This is a forum where people discuss things, reply to questions. Not to put up old Yorkshire sayings. But I lived in Yorkshire for some years. Is having a dream anything people there especially say? No.
I have to agree. You show very limited knowledge of life in the Philippines. For starters, setting up any type of business in the Philippines is a definite no, no.Your current knowledge of the locations seems extremely vague. The statement that your single friend will easily find a partner is true…….but at what cost ?
I would again suggest you read the many ex pats sites and learn from the advice given. Do not come to the Philippines without doing extensive research. Leaving the UK because you feel it is ‘going downhill’ is not an ideal reason for retreating here.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikek1
I have to agree. You show very limited knowledge of life in the Philippines. For starters, setting up any type of business in the Philippines is a definite no, no.Your current knowledge of the locations seems extremely vague. The statement that your single friend will easily find a partner is true…….but at what cost ?
I would again suggest you read the many ex pats sites and learn from the advice given. Do not come to the Philippines without doing extensive research. Leaving the UK because you feel it is ‘going downhill’ is not an ideal reason for retreating here.
Yes, he shouldn't set up a business, it's extremely competitive. Near where we live about 8 years ago there were 3 meat shops selling sides of beef, it stayed like that for about 5 years. Then in the last three years another 8 have followed along only 0.5km of main road. The Philippines is home to the economist's theoretical model of perfect competition where you make small profits. This can be seen a lot here. Of course his was one of the few Indian food places in Angeles. But a resto with a disco? Local business people won't like it, he could be subject to threats or worse. In any case the predominantly young population here is not dancing to 60s and 70s music!

He seemingly won't need an income so if he does come to live here he should just spend his time participating in the Brgy or subdivision, help in a charity etc if he gets bored with the retired life.

Last edited by Raffin; Jul 17th 2021 at 3:39 am.
Old Jul 17th 2021, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to.philippnes

Yes, he shouldn't set up a business, it's extremely competitive. Near where we live about 8 years ago there were 3 meat shops selling sides of beef, it stayed like that for about 5 years. Then in the last three years another 8 have followed along only 0.5km of main road. The Philippines is home to the economist's theoretical model of perfect competition where you make small profits. This can be seen a lot here. Of course his was one of the few Indian food places in Angeles. But a resto with a disco? Local business people won't like it, he could be subject to threats or worse. In any case the predominantly young population here is not dancing to 60s and 70s music!

He seemingly won't need an income so if he does come to live here he should just spend his time participating in the Brgy or subdivision, help in a charity etc if he gets bored with the retired life.
Oh well.Looks like my dream of starting a tricycle business has gone up in smoke...and here was me thinking it as a great and original idea...

Last edited by jaygee68; Jul 17th 2021 at 8:38 am. Reason: to add emoji
Old Jul 17th 2021, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jul 17th 2021, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

Johnkalbo is an unknown quantity at this point

But rather than being a chef you should have gone into politics. Because you often don't answer the question. You just answer your own question. People here are trying to help you as you have got their sympathy and display little knowledge of the country. First you say you're looking around, then a Visayan island was suggested ,you were enthusiastic for a while then you're not looking around anymore and want to get close to extended family on another (almost) island off Leyte. Then it's La Union.. Is it still? I am beginning to find it funny. Who will su place next and will he go for it?

We all have dreams I suppose but in reality things don't work.out like running bars ect it was just a question as I have a friend who will.be coming over as well who needs to make some money to keep.him going unlike my family we are ok I have done business in the Philippines before and its not easy
Old Jul 17th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not of independent mean I would not come here. Some do succeed but very very few in a system that is very anti foreigner.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he shouldn't set up a business, it's extremely competitive. Near where we live about 8 years ago there were 3 meat shops selling sides of beef, it stayed like that for about 5 years. Then in the last three years another 8 have followed along only 0.5km of main road. The Philippines is home to the economist's theoretical model of perfect competition where you make small profits.
They are spread out compared to sari sari stores. Both a brother in law and a sister in law had relatively successful stores. Within a year new stores opened right next door to them. It seems that if you mangae to get a good thing going somebody will notice and do exactly the same. No, thinking about a different business, I reckon if I set up a stall selling ants, somebody local would be doing it within a matter of days.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishRed
They are spread out compared to sari sari stores. Both a brother in law and a sister in law had relatively successful stores. Within a year new stores opened right next door to them. It seems that if you mangae to get a good thing going somebody will notice and do exactly the same. No, thinking about a different business, I reckon if I set up a stall selling ants, somebody local would be doing it within a matter of days.
Lol..The ant stall thing is amusing.That's how they work over there.It seems that they have sheep-like qualities....From the ubiquitous candle picture and 400 identical and somewhat insincere "AMEN" comments on Social Media when somebody dies..to the worship of all things American,not least beauty pagaents,it really is a case of "let's all fall in line and follow the flow."
Old Jul 18th 2021, 8:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jaygee68
Lol..The ant stall thing is amusing.That's how they work over there.It seems that they have sheep-like qualities....From the ubiquitous candle picture and 400 identical and somewhat insincere "AMEN" comments on Social Media when somebody dies..to the worship of all things American,not least beauty pagaents,it really is a case of "let's all fall in line and follow the flow."
Next election looking that way too.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

I'm NOT a political person,but it's fair to say we are quite similar here in the UK,Raffin.Boris has grabbed that flag and waved it high in the air,and now the council estates of England are voting for the Tories en masse,and all because the other party "lets them all in".LOL..

Last edited by jaygee68; Jul 18th 2021 at 8:52 am.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

But at least there the parties have some policies...
Old Jul 18th 2021, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

In an ever-increasingly binary world somebody once said to me it's difficult to admire both Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.He said that you can only like one and dislike the other.I said that i like them both.I have no favourites.I feel the same way about the politicians here.The gangsters in power and the naive,wet-behind-the-ear main opposition are both equally detestable,but for different reasons.
Old Jul 18th 2021, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Not so binary here. After 2016 most personalities and parties joined the President's party to form a super majority. If these other parties campaigned on any policies most of them were probably forgotten as they slavishly the President and his close associates for the next 5 years. But not so important as people here vote mostly for personalities and sometimes city mayors. They're not keen on experienced lawmakers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.