Moving to.philippnes

Old Jul 15th 2021, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to.philippnes

I think it all depends on lifestyle and I certainly dont find the Philippines expensive nor getting expensive. These are my circumstances which I dont think is untypical. Furthermore, I think most Brits that retire in the Philippines live on limited pensions such as my self.

Rent 10k pm. Fully furnished small house in a secure compound. In the UK I would be paying 3 or 4 times that. And no Council tax in the Philippines.

Electricity. About £10 pm. I live alone and dont use the ac here. I prefer a fan. In the UK from memory I was paying about £150 pm.

Water. About £5 pm. Cannot remember what I paid in the UK. But a damn sight more expensive. I buy bottled drinking water in those blue containers? 25 litres? About 50 pence.

Internet. Yes its poor in the Philippines but I have enhanced internet which is acceptable. About £12 pm. Similar to what I was paying in the UK over 6 yrs ago.

Food. I cannot cook and cannot be asked to learn. But why should I? Cereal and fruit for breakfast, lunch is light and consists on what I can get my hands on....and fruit. Fruit being bananas and oranges. Then I dine out in the evening at my restobar. Cost is no more than a fiver and includes a couple of beers.

Transport. Never required a car. local public transport is very cheap and plentiful. But I normally walk locally and enjoy the sunshine and sights also to keep myself fit. If I take a bus into the big city it costs a couple of quid for a 1.5 hr journey. Taxis I use in the big city and rarely costs more than £3 for a 20 minute journey. No hassle driving or finding a parking spot. Once I get settled I might buy a motorcycle and I notice that fuel is a fraction of that in the UK.

Medicines etc. I always buy in a generic pharmacy. Never use Watsons or Mercury etc unless as a last resort. I have a hiatus hernia and pay 17 peso for my daily tablet. In Mercury it is 103 peso. I have never used a hospital thankfully whilst I am here and yes it is expensive if you go private. I have an ex pat friend who uses a Government hospital. Not nice but if needs must..... I used to have Philhealth Medical Insurance but when it increased massively in price I dont have it. I have saved about 36k peso in two years. Philhealth only pays about a quarter of the bill.

Shopping. Cheap as chips if you use local markets and stores. I try to steer clear of supermarkets. Clothes are cheap...ok not always high quality. If you go to a supermarket and come away with a trolley full of imported food.....then it is expensive.

Alcohol and Cigarettes. I buy beer in my restobar and dont drink it at home. About a £1 for good old Red Horse Beer. Compare similar in the UK. I drink spirits at home. Bottle of Emp is about £1 (half litre). Wine from China (Kulafu). And very nice too. Just over 50p for a small bottle. I was a whisky drinker back in the UK. Never priced it here but I havent missed it. Sadly I have started smoking again. About £2 a pack......a quarter of that in the UK.

Cost of living etc in general. Inflation in the Philippines was about 4.5% and dropping. Inflation in the Uk is about 2.1% from memory and rising. That is offset by the exchange rate which was about 61 about a year ago and now 70 to the £. About 15% increase in our pockets. It is expected to rise to 73 in the next few month.

Entertainment. As most of you all know my circumstances have changed somewhat but now as then, my entertainment only consists of dining out at night. I used to go on annual ho;idays somewhere, but when my life gets back to normal that will be resumed.

I think I have covered everything that affects me. A typical Brit on a pension. In summary, I spend about £600 pm which is less than half my two pensions. And I dont live frugally. If I lived in the UK I would probably need to use all my pensions.

Tropical Paradise? No this not the Bahamas etc. How much would it cost there.....now that would be very expensive. But it is my tropical paradise. I live on a tropical island, very friendly people and beautiful country. But it is important to recognise that the Philippines is a developing country. But most important of all....Accept it. We cannot change anything.

Last edited by Philosophical 11; Jul 15th 2021 at 5:15 am.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute

"Electricity. About £10 pm. I live alone and dont use the ac here. I prefer a fan. In the UK from memory I was paying about £150 pm."

You must have been one of the UK's biggest weed cultivators with an electric bill that size every month!!
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Johnkalbo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
I think it all depends on lifestyle and I certainly dont find the Philippines expensive nor getting expensive. These are my circumstances which I dont think is untypical. Furthermore, I think most Brits that retire in the Philippines live on limited pensions such as my self.

Rent 10k pm. Fully furnished small house in a secure compound. In the UK I would be paying 3 or 4 times that. And no Council tax in the Philippines.

Electricity. About £10 pm. I live alone and dont use the ac here. I prefer a fan. In the UK from memory I was paying about £150 pm.

Water. About £5 pm. Cannot remember what I paid in the UK. But a damn sight more expensive. I buy bottled drinking water in those blue containers? 25 litres? About 50 pence.

Internet. Yes its poor in the Philippines but I have enhanced internet which is acceptable. About £12 pm. Similar to what I was paying in the UK over 6 yrs ago.

Food. I cannot cook and cannot be asked to learn. But why should I? Cereal and fruit for breakfast, lunch is light and consists on what I can get my hands on....and fruit. Fruit being bananas and oranges. Then I dine out in the evening at my restobar. Cost is no more than a fiver and includes a couple of beers.

Transport. Never required a car. local public transport is very cheap and plentiful. But I normally walk locally and enjoy the sunshine and sights also to keep myself fit. If I take a bus into the big city it costs a couple of quid for a 1.5 hr journey. Taxis I use in the big city and rarely costs more than £3 for a 20 minute journey. No hassle driving or finding a parking spot. Once I get settled I might buy a motorcycle and I notice that fuel is a fraction of that in the UK.

Medicines etc. I always buy in a generic pharmacy. Never use Watsons or Mercury etc unless as a last resort. I have a hiatus hernia and pay 17 peso for my daily tablet. In Mercury it is 103 peso. I have never used a hospital thankfully whilst I am here and yes it is expensive if you go private. I have an ex pat friend who uses a Government hospital. Not nice but if needs must..... I used to have Philhealth Medical Insurance but when it increased massively in price I dont have it. I have saved about 36k peso in two years. Philhealth only pays about a quarter of the bill.

Shopping. Cheap as chips if you use local markets and stores. I try to steer clear of supermarkets. Clothes are cheap...ok not always high quality. If you go to a supermarket and come away with a trolley full of imported food.....then it is expensive.

Alcohol and Cigarettes. I buy beer in my restobar and dont drink it at home. About a £1 for good old Red Horse Beer. Compare similar in the UK. I drink spirits at home. Bottle of Emp is about £1 (half litre). Wine from China (Kulafu). And very nice too. Just over 50p for a small bottle. I was a whisky drinker back in the UK. Never priced it here but I havent missed it. Sadly I have started smoking again. About £2 a pack......a quarter of that in the UK.

Cost of living etc in general. Inflation in the Philippines was about 4.5% and dropping. Inflation in the Uk is about 2.1% from memory and rising. That is offset by the exchange rate which was about 61 about a year ago and now 70 to the £. About 15% increase in our pockets. It is expected to rise to 73 in the next few month.

Entertainment. As most of you all know my circumstances have changed somewhat but now as then, my entertainment only consists of dining out at night. I used to go on annual ho;idays somewhere, but when my life gets back to normal that will be resumed.

I think I have covered everything that affects me. A typical Brit on a pension. In summary, I spend about £600 pm which is less than half my two pensions. And I dont live frugally. If I lived in the UK I would probably need to use all my pensions.

Tropical Paradise? No this not the Bahamas etc. How much would it cost there.....now that would be very expensive. But it is my tropical paradise. I live on a tropical island, very friendly people and beautiful country. But it is important to recognise that the Philippines is a developing country. But most important of all....Accept it. We cannot change anything.
Yup I agree with all that you say I lived in Angeles for a few years and it's a lot cheaper than uk I have been looking for somewhere to move with my Filipino wife and daughter I am going to.look at Naval . Going on holiday there when it's clear .
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

jaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond reputejaygee68 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that fruit and vegetables are quite expensive out there,even at markets.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jaygee68
I find that fruit and vegetables are quite expensive out thIere,even at markets.
Ah OK.well I have to start looking around my wife is from that area I am retied just waiting for my hip operation ect then I.will.be fine to travel my Facebook mum [email protected] 😀
Old Jul 15th 2021, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how you manage 650 pesos a month for electricty we use about 5000 which is nearly twice our UK combined gas and electric. My free UK medication is about 4000 a month here. I think you are also under estimating the rate of inflation here as well.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I don't know how you manage 650 pesos a month for electricty we use about 5000 which is nearly twice our UK combined gas and electric. My free UK medication is about 4000 a month here. I think you are also under estimating the rate of inflation here as well.
Maybe P11 is supplementing his lighting needs with candles, or his electric is wired into a neighbors ! Fruit is expensive in the Philippines, apples, oranges. Inflation is quoted at 4.5%………ask the locals about price increases…..it’s probably double that. I know for a fact that all building materials have gone up substantially. I could buy petrol for 44php / liter about 2 months ago, the cheapest I can now find is 51.5 Php………and it’s just gone up again (US$/Php appreciation, and oil increase).
Old Jul 15th 2021, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

P11 states that he does not cook and eats at his local restrobar. If he were to cook he would notice the price of, butter, cheese, milk, yogurt, chocolate, beef, fish ( gone expensive) pork , bread ,condiments etc.
I don’t know if he cleans his house, but the price of washing powder, bleach, soap etc is expensive.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Forgot, tissues, toilet paper, freezer bags, aluminum foil, cling film etc. if anyone doubts my suggestions please go online and google the prices offered on UK supermarket sites…….and I do not mean M$S or Waitrose !
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

We were living in Angeles in 2009 to 2012 we payed 2500 a month electric 1 Aicon 1 ref tv fan gas I believe was 800 a bottel fuel 50ps a lt 10000 rent for 2 bed flat eating out was not cheap.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

6400 PHP a month in Mandaluyong for electricity in my condo...Meralco must be billionaires
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

I suppose if you can live without air con it's a big bonus I have a x friend who's was in philippines for 10 months no girls no Airton we call him MR lonely because he is so tight with money this guy could peel a orange in his pocket !!
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Johnkalbo
I suppose if you can live without air con it's a big bonus I have a x friend who's was in philippines for 10 months no girls no Airton we call him MR lonely because he is so tight with money this guy could peel a orange in his pocket !!
I know one guy who is so tight-he cries out of one eye only.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jaygee68
6400 PHP a month in Mandaluyong for electricity in my condo...Meralco must be billionaires
I could well believe that amount. Manila is considerably more humid and hot compared to some provinces. We live in a province and are 4klms from the sea so get a half decent breeze. We sleep with Aircon on all night, although we do not use Aircon during the day ( unless wife is ironing) because we prefer to sit outdoors in the garden. Our latest electric bill is 4200php and that’s with a on grid solar system. The last few months have been hot, our normal bill is 2.8k to 3.2k.
Old Jul 15th 2021, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikek1
I could well believe that amount. Manila is considerably more humid and hot compared to some provinces. We live in a province and are 4klms from the sea so get a half decent breeze. We sleep with Aircon on all night, although we do not use Aircon during the day ( unless wife is ironing) because we prefer to sit outdoors in the garden. Our latest electric bill is 4200php and that’s with a on grid solar system. The last few months have been hot, our normal bill is 2.8k to 3.2k.
this is why I want to.be near the sea and not in a hole like Angeles but that's just my opinion my wife is a province girl she speaks 3 dialects the simple like can be good .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.