Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

Old Nov 6th 2009, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

frogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to allfrogblogger is a name known to all
Default Re: Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

Originally Posted by the troubadour
That is fine as long as the relationship is solid. But you must have met them as have i,a number of men getting badly stung if it all goes belly up?
Sure, plenty of farangs without prenups or who bought in their girlfriend's name before marriage (far less, or no rights, it's rather like giving your girlfriend an expensive watch as a present then asking for it back when you split up). When there are problems between married couples, Thai courts have been reimbursing the divorced farang where he can prove the sums he invested, but only around half of the house value, in the few cases I know of personally.

I wasn't suggesting this as an alternative to the company route, on the contrary, I find both rather dodgy for different reasons - which is why I decided to rent in the end, and invest my capital elsewhere (I'm married to a Thai myself, with a prenup).

As for the farang couple who bought through the previously mentioned company set-up, good luck to you, but the system has an inherent faultline which the authorities could exploit at any time if ever they decided to be difficult - the majority shareholding is not in your hands.

Last edited by frogblogger; Nov 6th 2009 at 7:25 am.