Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

Old Jul 17th 2009, 2:02 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

OK guys and gals, at Blue Cats insistence, what are the pros and cons of buying a holiday home in either of the above. I know I can probably search for previous threads but I need current info and I can't be bothered searching. I'm taking a hint from Spugsy and just asking.

We're a helpful lot in the Middle East and I'm hoping you are too.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

pinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant future
Default Re: Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?

As a foreigner in the Philippines you can only buy a condo not land or house.
Am sure there are people who form companies with locals and the like to get around it but would be careful with that.Dont believe the market is anywhere as near as developed for holday homes as Thailand.There are condos a plenty anyway in the big cities in the Philippines.I would just question the need to own a holiday home in the Philippines when even with the strength of the peso to other currencies especially the pound it remains an extremely good value destination.Unless you are spending regular amounts of time or have a real affinity for an area/family ties etc i would take advantage of the bargain hotels and resorts that you can find on the net and explore a bit.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 9:15 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinoybill
As a foreigner in the Philippines you can only buy a condo not land or house.
Am sure there are people who form companies with locals and the like to get around it but would be careful with that.Dont believe the market is anywhere as near as developed for holday homes as Thailand.There are condos a plenty anyway in the big cities in the Philippines.I would just question the need to own a holiday home in the Philippines when even with the strength of the peso to other currencies especially the pound it remains an extremely good value destination.Unless you are spending regular amounts of time or have a real affinity for an area/family ties etc i would take advantage of the bargain hotels and resorts that you can find on the net and explore a bit.
Thanks for the feedback. So, from a use and investment point of view, that's a no go? Don't want a condo, want a vill; 3/4 bedroom? Sorry, I know I'm being thick but so many different points of view. Thanks again.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

pinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant futurepinoybill has a brilliant future

There always seems lots more building work going on everytime I go to Philippines which is where the wife is from.Many of the new builds, be it houses or condos are targetted at the Overseas Filipinos who are making considerably more money than almost everyone earning in the Philippines.
The marketing is just as bad as the stuff in any British town or city,they are really trying hard to sell you the dream, some of the floor sizes of the houses or condos are ridiculously small. Whether they have been ramped up in price way too high or there is oversupply like over here in UK remains to be seen as their economy is very different and many families live in very basic accomodation but I would be cautious of new builds/estates as the price hasnt been tested by resale and they will build on anything. That said some of the top end stuff in Manila, Makati, Fort Bonifacio is very good but so are the prices.

I would be inclined to have more holidays and recces and establish an area that you like that isnt too far from an airport.
But as far as ownership goes of a house with land I think its a no no.
There will be no shortage of locals who are all realtors or have friends and fixers to help you. Buyer beware.I am still struggling to tidy up the ownership of the place my wife bought several years ago with the help of someone well known to the family.Even if there are places with weird and wonderful means of owning house and land, I would think the people who are consistently making money from real estate are the developers. As a place to live retire to etc etc I still think its a blast.Last thought would be to rent a house for a month when on holiday,that way you are going home with your shirt and you might decide its not for you.Many of the websites of expats living the dream are marrioed to locals which is why they live in a house.Believe it can get complicated when relationships go awry/wife dies and so on.Dont think you have much say after that.
If there was a fortune to be made there in real estate it would take a far better knowledge of the local market than you or I is ever likely to possess.Hope this isnt too negative a post, more of a proceed with extreme caution. On the postive side we are still aiming to spend considerably more time there/retire as it an excellent place to grow old if you have a modest amount of money and better still with family or local connections, but the usual grind of work and other commitments currently dont allow us to do so.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 3:01 pm
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by pinoybill
There always seems lots more building work going on everytime I go to Philippines which is where the wife is from.Many of the new builds, be it houses or condos are targetted at the Overseas Filipinos who are making considerably more money than almost everyone earning in the Philippines.
The marketing is just as bad as the stuff in any British town or city,they are really trying hard to sell you the dream, some of the floor sizes of the houses or condos are ridiculously small. Whether they have been ramped up in price way too high or there is oversupply like over here in UK remains to be seen as their economy is very different and many families live in very basic accomodation but I would be cautious of new builds/estates as the price hasnt been tested by resale and they will build on anything. That said some of the top end stuff in Manila, Makati, Fort Bonifacio is very good but so are the prices.

I would be inclined to have more holidays and recces and establish an area that you like that isnt too far from an airport.
But as far as ownership goes of a house with land I think its a no no.
There will be no shortage of locals who are all realtors or have friends and fixers to help you. Buyer beware.I am still struggling to tidy up the ownership of the place my wife bought several years ago with the help of someone well known to the family.Even if there are places with weird and wonderful means of owning house and land, I would think the people who are consistently making money from real estate are the developers. As a place to live retire to etc etc I still think its a blast.Last thought would be to rent a house for a month when on holiday,that way you are going home with your shirt and you might decide its not for you.Many of the websites of expats living the dream are marrioed to locals which is why they live in a house.Believe it can get complicated when relationships go awry/wife dies and so on.Dont think you have much say after that.
If there was a fortune to be made there in real estate it would take a far better knowledge of the local market than you or I is ever likely to possess.Hope this isnt too negative a post, more of a proceed with extreme caution. On the postive side we are still aiming to spend considerably more time there/retire as it an excellent place to grow old if you have a modest amount of money and better still with family or local connections, but the usual grind of work and other commitments currently dont allow us to do so.
Yeah, gues that's a no then. Thanks for the info, think I need to look elsewhere.

Cheers!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
OK guys and gals, at Blue Cats insistence, what are the pros and cons of buying a holiday home in either of the above. I know I can probably search for previous threads but I need current info and I can't be bothered searching. I'm taking a hint from Spugsy and just asking.

We're a helpful lot in the Middle East and I'm hoping you are too.
RK, good to see you in the Far East forum!
Not sure about Philippines, but in Thailand the rules are similar to above. I.E. As a foreigner you are only allowed to buy a condo and not land. HOWEVER, it is still possible for you to do this whereby you have 51% Thai shareholders, the other 49% being yourself, BUT you have 100% voting rights. My brother has a house in Samui for the last 2-3 years like this. Be careful though, there are many scams, many building on land they don't own etc etc. You just simply have to spend the money on a few lawyers to get everything checked again, again, and again. Most is ok with my brothers place, but the 10 year guarantee that the two Yanks promised, does not exist. This was a company that own's the Hilton hotel in Hua Hin too! So, don't trust anyone just get everything checked if you decide to go ahead with anything and be prepared to visit regularly to make sure progress is being made as you have to keep on their backs.

Good luck chap!
Cheers!
Old Jul 26th 2009, 11:32 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by MonsterP
Not sure about Philippines, but in Thailand the rules are similar to above. I.E. As a foreigner you are only allowed to buy a condo and not land. HOWEVER, it is still possible for you to do this whereby you have 51% Thai shareholders, the other 49% being yourself, BUT you have 100% voting rights. My brother has a house in Samui for the last 2-3 years like this. Be careful though, there are many scams, many building on land they don't own etc etc. You just simply have to spend the money on a few lawyers to get everything checked again, again, and again. Most is ok with my brothers place, but the 10 year guarantee that the two Yanks promised, does not exist. This was a company that own's the Hilton hotel in Hua Hin too! So, don't trust anyone just get everything checked if you decide to go ahead with anything and be prepared to visit regularly to make sure progress is being made as you have to keep on their backs.

Good luck chap!
Cheers!
Thanks MP, I think I've sort of talked myself out of either of these. Sounds a 'mare and don't really have time to flit back and forth.

Cheers for the feedback, though.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Thanks MP, I think I've sort of talked myself out of either of these. Sounds a 'mare and don't really have time to flit back and forth.

Cheers for the feedback, though.
We have lived and owned property in both Koh Samui and Phuket and been here 7 years with absolutely no problems.
Condo's are fool proof , and one good way to avoid Thai Taxes is to set up a BVI company which will "own" your apartment with you as the shareholder.
We are in the process of moving on and have an apartment for sale if you have any interest.
Attached Thumbnails Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?-aspasia_3.jpg   Buying property in Thailand or Philippenes?-aspasia-sale.jpg  
Old Sep 24th 2009, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MonsterP

Good luck chap!
Cheers!
This illegality is called using nominees and it is now being enforced and land can be confiscated.

Foreigners CANNOT own land in Thailand UNLESS 40 MILLION USD is invested then 1 rai ( 1600 sq meters) is allowed.

Even the old trick putting it in the wife's name is being looked into, you have to hand it over to her completely ( I say her because I really don't think any women travel to Thailand to marry Thai men, (other than Natalie Glebova ..) And if she can't show it was her funds originally?? Pay the graft ??

Thailand has laws to protect itself from what it views as foreign invasion. It lets people get away with skirting the laws for a decade or two, then it becomes convenient to suddenly start enforcing the laws, a " Farang" cull- Lots of fines and properties confiscated all ready for a new round of naive and horny foreigners.
Actually quite clever, the Thais at separating " Farang " from his money.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris351
This illegality is called using nominees and it is now being enforced and land can be confiscated.

Foreigners CANNOT own land in Thailand UNLESS 40 MILLION USD is invested then 1 rai ( 1600 sq meters) is allowed.

Even the old trick putting it in the wife's name is being looked into, you have to hand it over to her completely ( I say her because I really don't think any women travel to Thailand to marry Thai men, (other than Natalie Glebova ..) And if she can't show it was her funds originally?? Pay the graft ??

Thailand has laws to protect itself from what it views as foreign invasion. It lets people get away with skirting the laws for a decade or two, then it becomes convenient to suddenly start enforcing the laws, a " Farang" cull- Lots of fines and properties confiscated all ready for a new round of naive and horny foreigners.
Absolutely bang on Chris.

There's some nasty press around lately. Rule is, only buy if you're prepared to lose it and not be sad.

regards MP
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Travel Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John Speed
We have lived and owned property in both Koh Samui and Phuket and been here 7 years with absolutely no problems.
Condo's are fool proof , and one good way to avoid Thai Taxes is to set up a BVI company which will "own" your apartment with you as the shareholder.
We are in the process of moving on and have an apartment for sale if you have any interest.
My info is condos are far from foolproof in Thailand. All condo buildings have to be 51 per cent owned by Thais. But the developers can rarely fill the Thai quotient. That means they pack more foreigners in illegally and the govt is planning to seriously crack down on this. The illegal foreigners buy in the name of 'Thai companies' which do not trade.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:24 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Any luck with the apartment sale?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:05 am
alp
Just Joined

alp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris351

yep in philippines you can't buy land. only condo units. Well unless you are a woman and you will marry me.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

John Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Any luck with the apartment sale?
Two lost, crooked lawyer responsible for one ! and we are now on the third sale which may go through .never easy
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Two lost, crooked lawyer responsible for one ! and we are now on the third sale which may go through .never easy
Best of luck. There is some movement on the market, despite what some people say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.