Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Working and living in Manila

Working and living in Manila

Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

scottmarso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working and living in Manila

Hi everyone

My name is Alan currently living and working in Spain in Property Sales investments, am due to go out to Manila next week to work in the finance markets,would appreciate any comments from you guys who may or have been employed in similar positions, also any advice on living costs Apartment rental costs, places to go or not to go etc, ex-pat hangouts, where i can watch the match ( liverpool), know nothing about life in Manila so all info and advice gratefully welcome

Alan
Old Oct 8th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

Debbie80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working and living in Manila

Originally Posted by scottmarso
Hi everyone

My name is Alan currently living and working in Spain in Property Sales investments, am due to go out to Manila next week to work in the finance markets,would appreciate any comments from you guys who may or have been employed in similar positions, also any advice on living costs Apartment rental costs, places to go or not to go etc, ex-pat hangouts, where i can watch the match ( liverpool), know nothing about life in Manila so all info and advice gratefully welcome

Alan
Hi Alan

I've just registered to this website as I'm moving out to Manila with work in April next year. Since your out there already I wondered if you could give me some advise on places to stay, costs and all the rest really. I'd like to make sure I'm as organised as possible. I could also do with knowing how visa's work etc. Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

roavingreporter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Alan
Hi Alan,
I am regularly out in Manila on business and know The Philippines very well. If you are still monitoring this website please respond. Rgds Nick
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Debbie80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roavingreporter
Hi Alan,
I am regularly out in Manila on business and know The Philippines very well. If you are still monitoring this website please respond. Rgds Nick
Hi Nick

My name's Debbie, I've just registered here as I'm planning to move to the Philippines in April next year. I'm looking to rent somewhere in Manila - any advise or contacts you can give me would be great. What line of work are you in? I have just set up a customer service operation in Tarlac that I'll be managing for a year.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

roavingreporter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Debbie80
Hi Nick

My name's Debbie, I've just registered here as I'm planning to move to the Philippines in April next year. I'm looking to rent somewhere in Manila - any advise or contacts you can give me would be great. What line of work are you in? I have just set up a customer service operation in Tarlac that I'll be managing for a year.
Hi Debbie,
Thanks for your message. Small world - I was in Tarlac last October 31st and spent Halloween at the floating fish restaurant there - you must check it out. Its about 2 miles north of the town. Tarlac by road from Manila is about 2 hours!
I work in the currency markets and have been in and out of the Philippines for business and pleasure since 2001. Fell in love with the country and its people. Filipinos have a great sense of humour as you will discover. Manila is one of the cheapest capitals in the world to live so you should find something decent at a reasonable price. Makati is the business district but pricier than other districts. Its where alot of expats hang out. Suggest doing an online search of apartments and get some prices in. Manila is a big sprawling dirty city with horrendous traffic problems(like everywhere else I guess so its best to be near your place of work/office. Most of the shopping is done in the Malls which are air conditioned. Greenbelt in Makati has some nice restaurants and bars. Check out Café Havana and Bar Nu-Vo
Old Oct 30th 2009, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Travel Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

Alan
Ditto that. I am moving in November , two weeks, but not from Spain but Britain. I went to Manila 15 years ago though so I guess my info is well out of date. I dont think it is quite rocking so much anymore from all reports though.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 3:24 am
alp
Just Joined

alp is an unknown quantity at this point

lots of developments in Manila these days (i'm a Filipino). Our malls are the biggest in the world. 3 of the 10 biggest malls are in Metro Manila. The 2nd biggest mall in the world is the SM North Edsa. You can take the LRT/MRT and it passes to these malls.

Try visiting also intramuros/baywalk/manila bay area. Mall of Asia is a nice place to hangout with view of the Manila bay.

Free wifi in malls and in hotels/motels. So bring your netbook/laptop with you.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

inapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really niceinapickleithink is just really nice

Hi.
thinking of going to cebu in dec.Im looking for ultra cheap hotel/boarding house etc.can you advise.thankyou.