Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Originally Posted by scot47
It is a good idea to maintain a UK address if you can. Could save a lot oif grief in the future. Find an understanding friend or relative.
It is not a case of having a UK address, paying UK taxes etc., it is purely down to being a UK resident. Stokven maybe you were just lucky as non residents are definitely not covered by NHS.........Expats Beware – You Now Have To Pay For NHS Treatment - World of Expats - Expatriate Advice
Old Aug 9th 2017, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikek1
I use a balikbayan visa, my Filipino wife has a Dutch passport and myself a U.K. Passport.We have never been Questioned about our immigration status on entering the Philippines, and automatically get a one year balikbayan stamp.
My wife is in the process of applying for dual citizenship, when this is achieved I will apply for a 13a visa. I need that visa because I have had some difficulties, such as obtaining a driving license, and certain banking conditions.

Regarding the transferring of pension funds,(when I am eligible) it won't be a problem. We have kept all our U.K. Bank accounts (and credit cards) so I will have my pension paid into the account then when the funds build up transfer them here by XE to get a decent exchange rate.
We kept a buy to let property in the U.K. The property provides us with an income,but just as important it also provides us with a U.K address, so we have any benefits that we might be in titled to........nhs etc.
All our post is redirected to my niece,so new bank and credit cards are then forwarded to us.Certain U.K companies insist on us providing our Philippines address ( private pension, mortgage ) but this is not a problem as the letters arrive safely from the U.K.
I would advise anyone, if possible to retain a 'bolt hole' just in case you need to return to the U.K.We have no intention of returning to the U.K., but due to the internet and Skype we can manage all our U.K affairs easily from the Philippines.
Hi Mike
Retaining a UK address will not entitle you to NHS services unless you are actually resident in UK. Expats Beware – You Now Have To Pay For NHS Treatment - World of Expats - Expatriate Advice
Old Aug 9th 2017, 9:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And people wonder why the NHS is in financial trouble
Old Aug 10th 2017, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Originally Posted by David Mashael
Hi Mike
Retaining a UK address will not entitle you to NHS services unless you are actually resident in UK. Expats Beware – You Now Have To Pay For NHS Treatment - World of Expats - Expatriate Advice
Have read the article, however it does state that ex pats returning to live permanently back in the U.K. Will not be liable to charges. How would they know that the expat was conveniently returning,then going back to their overseas residence?

Somehow or other I am pretty sure those new regulations would be easy to get round.Not sure whether border control stamp an entry visa in your passport when entering the the U.K. ( although on the countless times with have entered the U.K be it from holiday destinations or the Philippines,never had an entry stamp) so how would they know you were a non resident