Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

Greetings!

I have been in the Philippines for two and a half years and I am considering changing my status from Tourist Visa to something more permanent. I have not done a lot of research on the subject but will do when the time is right, but in the interim I wish to canvass a few thoughts.

The options as I see them are a 13A, SRRV or remain on a Tourist Visa. I am not sure if a Balilbayan Visa applies to foreigners.

Taking the pro's and cons of the options:

13a. This seems to be the natural way after marriage and I believe I need to report once a year to BI for annual reporting. However, the process seems long winded and therefore probably expensive. I suspect that no longer being a "tourist" might be prejudicial to obtaining free NHS care in the UK if the need arises. I don't know yet how this will impact on having my UK pensions paid tax free into a Philippine bank and subject to Philippine tax (currently o%). However, I can find that out in due course.

SRRV. Seems a large deposit is required but as I have a reasonable income from pensions, I understand that it might not be required. Should be able to have my pension paid into a Philippine bank but doubt if I can fall onto the NHS if the need arises. No need to leave the Phils every 3 years.

Tourist Visa. Stay as I am. Which means I can hopefully avail myself to the NHS if the need arises but unable to have my pensions paid into a Philippine Bank. Bi-annual visit to BI is a small hassle. Leaving Phils after 3 years a bigger hassle and expensive.

So....those are the options as I see it. Yes, I will do more research when the time comes and my decision will be based on that and what your folks opinions are based on your experience.

My main criteria is availability to NHS if that is possible and having my pensions paid into a Phils bank. Minimum hassle and costs involved.

Look forward to all opinions!

Regards

Pete
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:32 am
LPR
Forum Regular

LPR is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Visa For Permanent Residency?

It might be worth having a look at the following:

Expats Beware – You Now Have To Pay For NHS Treatment - World of Expats - Expatriate Advice

I thought having paid into the NHS all my working life I would be entitled to come back for treatment if needed. Looks like yet another colonoscopy from the government!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 8:33 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Access to the NHS depends on whether you are resident in the UK, and has been for some time. Move back there and you become eligible again at once.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Pete,
I like my American neighbour currently choose the Balikbayan route. We live in Metro Manila, we are married to lovely ladies and we like to travel.
The upside is that when you travel with your lovely lady on your return Immigration, at their discretion may give you a one year stay. During the one year there are no fees to pay and no exit clearance is required.
The downside is that the granting of the one year Balikbayan is solely at the discretion on the Immigration Officer and humility is the watchword.
The 13A route may be the way for you to go.

Regarding your pension remittances pm me if you require sound, reliable and legal advice.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Greetings!

I have been in the Philippines for two and a half years and I am considering changing my status from Tourist Visa to something more permanent. I have not done a lot of research on the subject but will do when the time is right, but in the interim I wish to canvass a few thoughts.

The options as I see them are a 13A, SRRV or remain on a Tourist Visa. I am not sure if a Balilbayan Visa applies to foreigners.

Taking the pro's and cons of the options:

13a. This seems to be the natural way after marriage and I believe I need to report once a year to BI for annual reporting. However, the process seems long winded and therefore probably expensive. I suspect that no longer being a "tourist" might be prejudicial to obtaining free NHS care in the UK if the need arises. I don't know yet how this will impact on having my UK pensions paid tax free into a Philippine bank and subject to Philippine tax (currently o%). However, I can find that out in due course.

SRRV. Seems a large deposit is required but as I have a reasonable income from pensions, I understand that it might not be required. Should be able to have my pension paid into a Philippine bank but doubt if I can fall onto the NHS if the need arises. No need to leave the Phils every 3 years.

Tourist Visa. Stay as I am. Which means I can hopefully avail myself to the NHS if the need arises but unable to have my pensions paid into a Philippine Bank. Bi-annual visit to BI is a small hassle. Leaving Phils after 3 years a bigger hassle and expensive.

So....those are the options as I see it. Yes, I will do more research when the time comes and my decision will be based on that and what your folks opinions are based on your experience.

My main criteria is availability to NHS if that is possible and having my pensions paid into a Phils bank. Minimum hassle and costs involved.

Look forward to all opinions!

Regards

Pete
SRRV fee is about 1400$ 13A is about 16000 pesos(300$)
SRRV annual is 360$? 13a is about 6$

Once the SRRV is granted it is easy and you can renew 3 years in advance, by post? 13a is still annual visit. Also the 13 a is done in two parts so it takes longer.

Deposit for SRRV, 10,000$, 13a Nothing(important in event of demise as IHT is a freaking nightmare here,reason I left the SRRV to 13A) UK probate is a walk in the park by comparison if you have a will.

SRRV travel privilege is no departure tax after one annual payment
13A departure tax every time you leave.

I am not certain all the figures are bang up to date

Cheapest is Balikbayan as it is cost of an annual air fare, or ferry trip out of the PI. Some very good budget late night flights.

As for pensions keep it simple open a BPI express in London Europe send your pensions/investment money there and then with a BPI account here just do an online transfer at good rates and use your ATM. We do that it is just so easy(except when they offline)We opened two UK BPI express, one joint and one sole in my wife's name, most of the savings and investments are in her name in case anything happens to me she will not have the account frozen so can get at funds for her and the two youngsters.

Last edited by mikemike; Aug 8th 2017 at 10:46 am.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Access to the NHS depends on whether you are resident in the UK, and has been for some time. Move back there and you become eligible again at once.
I am out of the loop on this one. I think you have to complete a TOR first? If not you have to be in the UK for minimum 30 days to be a resident? this will apply if he takes up permanent residence here, not sure what happens if a tourist can there be a TOR?

Last edited by mikemike; Aug 8th 2017 at 10:30 am.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how the NHS check up. I went back to the UK after 5 years here on SRRV, I had a couple of days before work started so I booked an appointment with my GP for a very small problem and a quick check up, no questions or anything. I still have my yellow card which I produced ( though was not asked for ) at A&E when I lumped my thumb while visiting my brother.

Last edited by Stokkevn; Aug 8th 2017 at 10:45 am. Reason: rubbish grammer
Old Aug 8th 2017, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
I am out of the loop on this one. I think you have to complete a TOR first? If not you have to be in the UK for minimum 30 days to be a resident? this will apply if he takes up permanent residence here, not sure what happens if a tourist can there be a TOR?
You just have to be a UK resident. If you move back and have proof of an address at once then the NHS has to accept that. Obviously the more proof the better, just in case, so any rent book/bank statement/electoral role evidence that you can sort at once is good.
A TOR is only needed if you are bringing goods back with you, not everyone has one.
Lots of threads on the UK forum

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Not sure how the NHS check up. I went back to the UK after 5 years here on SRRV, I had a couple of days before work started so I booked an appointment with my GP for a very small problem and a quick check up, no questions or anything. I still have my yellow card which I produced ( though was not asked for ) at A&E when I lumped my thumb while visiting my brother.
They are supposed to ask for proof of residence,but they don't always

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 8th 2017 at 12:15 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
They are supposed to ask for proof of residence,but they don't always
I have lived all over the world for the last 45 years and have never been asked by any NHS doctor/A&E wherever I have turned up if I am a UK resident, even when I put an overseas address as my last address.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good idea to maintain a UK address if you can. Could save a lot oif grief in the future. Find an understanding friend or relative.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Pete, As others have said , if you move back to UK permanently then as a UK citizen you are eligible for NHS immediately. If you move back temporary, or for a visit then emergency treatment is free but you should be charged for anything else. It's an attempt to stop medical tourism otherwise lots of UK expats will be popping back to UK , get NHS treatment free then return to their "home" country. With a UK address I don't know how they could check , but if you give your address here then they should charge you 150% of the cost. Naturally, they are less likely to query a UK citizen and assume you are entitled. It's similar in principle to the law that says employers must check an employee is legally entitled to work in UK , and landlords must check tenants are legally resident.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond reputemikek1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a balikbayan visa, my Filipino wife has a Dutch passport and myself a U.K. Passport.We have never been Questioned about our immigration status on entering the Philippines, and automatically get a one year balikbayan stamp.
My wife is in the process of applying for dual citizenship, when this is achieved I will apply for a 13a visa. I need that visa because I have had some difficulties, such as obtaining a driving license, and certain banking conditions.

Regarding the transferring of pension funds,(when I am eligible) it won't be a problem. We have kept all our U.K. Bank accounts (and credit cards) so I will have my pension paid into the account then when the funds build up transfer them here by XE to get a decent exchange rate.
We kept a buy to let property in the U.K. The property provides us with an income,but just as important it also provides us with a U.K address, so we have any benefits that we might be in titled to........nhs etc.
All our post is redirected to my niece,so new bank and credit cards are then forwarded to us.Certain U.K companies insist on us providing our Philippines address ( private pension, mortgage ) but this is not a problem as the letters arrive safely from the U.K.
I would advise anyone, if possible to retain a 'bolt hole' just in case you need to return to the U.K.We have no intention of returning to the U.K., but due to the internet and Skype we can manage all our U.K affairs easily from the Philippines.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

The 13a visa is as has been said already, in two parts. It is fairly straight forward. If needed use their photographer, and the BI lawyer. We are talking under P500 for each of these. If anything is wrong, they are then readily available, to rectify the matter.
How it works: You get a "Temporary Permanent Visa" this is valid for one year. Next step is a "Permanent Permanent Visa."
I did mine some fifteen years ago, and it cost under P15000. I believe it is the case that you will need two ACR-I cards, for the process. One for temporary, and then the permanent, that lasts five years. I am sure that someone, who has done this recently, will advise. Yes you need to register every year, in the first sixty days. It costs you P310, and is extremely easy with your ACR-I card.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

tropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond reputetropicofcancer has a reputation beyond repute

This might prove helpful:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/phili...y-visa-504489/

The procedure was prior to the introduction of the ACR-I card, but still very relevant.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Access to the NHS when you live abroad

Originally Posted by springsteen11
Greetings!

I have been in the Philippines for two and a half years and I am considering changing my status from Tourist Visa to something more permanent. I have not done a lot of research on the subject but will do when the time is right, but in the interim I wish to canvass a few thoughts. ........ My main criteria is availability to NHS if that is possible and having my pensions paid into a Phils bank. Minimum hassle and costs involved. Look forward to all opinions!

Regards Pete
Pete, just to clarify what others are saying, in terms of access to the NHS, it all depends on your UK residency. In IMHO, the type of visa you get over here is irrelevant. If you have a look at the following document, NI38 – Social Security Abroad, page 32, under Access to the National Health Service, it states the following:

‘The NHS provides health care for people who reside in the United Kingdom. If you move abroad you are not automatically entitled to use the NHS free of charge regardless of having paid NICs and taxes in this country in the past.
If you are going abroad for 3 months or more, you should tell your GP both your departure date and proposed return date, if known, in order to avoid your records being withdrawn unnecessarily.

If you go to live abroad you will be able to get emergency treatment under the NHS at a GP’s surgery or the Accident and Emergency Department of a hospital if you become ill or have an accident on a visit back in the UK.

But if you come back specially to get hospital treatment or a check-up under the NHS for an existing illness, you will
 normally be charged the full costs unless you have been referred by your new country of residence and they have agreed to cover the costs.

If you return to live in the UK you will again be able to receive health care treatment under the NHS. You should register with a GP as soon as possible after you return. This will enable the GP to retrieve your records before you have need of their services and avoid your records being destroyed in error. '

The above statement reflects the governments take on the matter. As shown in the section in bold italics above, you are still legally entitled to emergency treatment if you return for a visit. I dare say the procedure for that may be a tad simpler if you are able to quote a UK address and maintained your GP.’
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NI38_CF83 - Abroad.pdf (323.0 KB, 390 views)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.