Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Settling into our new rental....

Settling into our new rental....

Old Jul 19th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Settling into our new rental....

Originally Posted by sue1234
God what a pain I am, so how long does it take your OH to commute to and from work ? And good luck with it all, just cant wait to get MY stuff
Commuting was the biggest factor in how far out of Audkland we could go. From here in Pukekohe it takes OH just over an hour on the train, which is the same length of time it took him on the bus from the Howick area!! He has a monthly ticket which costs $235, much cheaper than driving, which is something he would not consider.

We had a shared container and ours took 15 weeks......hope yours arrives soon.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to ask.

Originally Posted by londonescapee
I'm really interested in this too, for year 1 we will be in Mission Bay but after that I think we will move out depending on cost...so am interested in commute times....
Mission Bay is very expensive but very nice. Whereabouts will you be working ?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

I decided I couldn't face moving half way round the world unless we went to an area that I loved to help settle in! So Mission Bay it is, but I don't think we will stay there long term. Very interested to hear about the commutes - I will be based in Parnell and am really looking forward to cycling into work again

I just looked at Franklin on Googlemaps it looks very nice streetview I still find a bit freaky though it helps give a rough idea of an area. Sending broadband activation vibes in your direction

Husband doesn't have a job yet so who knows where we will end up eventually - that's part of the fun
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Originally Posted by nukiwi
Commuting was the biggest factor in how far out of Audkland we could go. From here in Pukekohe it takes OH just over an hour on the train, which is the same length of time it took him on the bus from the Howick area!! He has a monthly ticket which costs $235, much cheaper than driving, which is something he would not consider.

We had a shared container and ours took 15 weeks......hope yours arrives soon.

If you need any further advice, please don't hesitate to ask.

Mission Bay is very expensive but very nice. Whereabouts will you be working ?
Hi, went for a drive today down your way and it was very nice,. took 40 min from CBD and didnt think that was bad, I just want to live by the coast, so think were going to be looking around The Hibiscus Coast.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi, went for a drive today down your way and it was very nice,. took 40 min from CBD and didnt think that was bad, I just want to live by the coast, so think were going to be looking around The Hibiscus Coast.
You should have said, you could have called in for a coffee.

We started off on the North Shore and seem to be moving further south each time.....we'll be in Queenstown before we know it...

That's the beauty of renting, you can try different places before you settle. Our last rental had sea views but I've always wanted to live in the country.

The Hibiscus Coast is very nice and again, cheaper than Auckland. Good luck with whatever you decide. If you are down this way again, let me know and we can meet up