Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

2 months in and this expat lark is very difficult!!

2 months in and this expat lark is very difficult!!

Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

jlc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2 months in and this expat lark is very difficult!!

Hello,

I moved out to Auckland (Ponsonby) with my boyfriend about 2 months ago now, and so far its been a bit of a tears/fun/lonely experience! My boyfriend was headhunted from the UK and started working full time two days after we arrived. . so settling in has proved very difficult for little old me! We are both mid twenties and finding a job hasnt been as easy as id hoped even with a masters degree, turns out theres a recession here too darn it!

Has anybody else found the whole experience a bit difficult? any advice on how to feel better much appreciated!!

Jemma
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:04 am
Just Joined

rob and gill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 months in and this expat lark is very difficult!!

Hi there, yeh its been kinda the same for me too, wife at work all the time and i still have not got a job over 30 applied for now.
Been here for 5 weeks now, we are in palmy north.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Hi Jemma,

I know all too well how it feels - moved out here with the boyfriend (we're both mid-twenties too) last September. He got offered a job in the UK so started working straight away leaving me to find work once we got here. It took a couple of months to find something but eventually it all came good.

We are now settled on the North Shore (Milford), have met lots of people and loving it. It will get better!!

If the 2 of you want to meet up for drinks anytime just let me know. Always good to meet fellow Brits! Ponsonby is a great area for going out and easily accessible for us

Faye
Old Jun 9th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I was 26 when I moved here. My kiwi boyfriend of the time was well settled with friends and whanau and I fellt miserable for quite a long time. I would cry looking at the moon as I felt that it was the only tangible thing that I could see that I could also see from home (even the frikkin stars looked different)

But it got better

I think the key is to actively put yourself out there. Apply for jobs sure but also fill your days. Join a gym, or sports group, start a course ( you can always stop when you get a job) anything that gets you out there meeting people.

There are some neat things that go on in Auckland during the day ( I miss them all cos I'm at work). Go to the library and see what's on or find a favourite cafe and hang out there a lot and find out what's going on.

You are really in a great spot to get to know people. Ponsonby is so great.
I'm older now but would be glad to do a swift coffee with you one lunchtime if you like (I work in Pt Chev so not too far away)

Hang in there hun, it really does get better. I've been here 10 years now. And it's just perfect.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:54 am
Just Joined

jlc24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: 2 months in and this expat lark is very difficult!!

Thanks so much for your advice and offers faye and pricklykina, i got a part time job in a clothes shop whilst i look for something full time so hopefully this will make me feel less isolated and Im also starting yoga on monday so im embracing new things! fingers crossed, thanks xx
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jlc24
Thanks so much for your advice and offers faye and pricklykina, i got a part time job in a clothes shop whilst i look for something full time so hopefully this will make me feel less isolated and Im also starting yoga on monday so im embracing new things! fingers crossed, thanks xx
Well that's good news about the job, some interaction will definately help.

Maybe take the others up on offers of coffee, personally I find wine helps, as some face to face interaction with someone who's been there done that, can also help.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:33 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who found the easiest way to get a job was to post her CV to all the relevant companies in the phone book. What she found and what she was told, was that 60% of jobs available aren't advertised. They're offered and taken on word of mouth. The job she was offered was through dropping her CV in 'ad hoc'.

I don't know what your Masters is in but if it's a particular field that you can find in the phone book, print your CV and start mailing it off, start from A-Z and see what comes of it. You might be surprised!
Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:05 pm
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

Me too........hopefully things will get better. This will be my second winter in a row so hopefully that is part of the problem
Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:56 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats on the job front

Just give me a shout if you're still looking to meet up for coffee ect, as I live/work just around the corner from you, near Victoria Park

Jen
Old Jun 11th 2010, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I find that when you do feel a bit down, or homesick, or whatever, that going out and buying a packet of Jaffa Cakes is a good solution, of course maybe its just the sugar rush...
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:30 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Just moving this thread from Intros to Updates now for you, hopefully more may see it there.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

mumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura aboutmumbee2 has a spectacular aura about

Jaffa Biscuits sound good - have one on me and a drink of any kind!!

Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:54 pm
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Just thought i would say "Hello"
The job thing isn't easy here I can only go by my experience but i was very difficult. Lots of people don't even bother to reply to your letters or follow up when you send a CV it can be very demoralizing.
I have even been to interviews and had no follow up after its as if they have disappeared. It can get you down especially in the winter months.
I subscribed to every web site i could and the website for government jobs is always a good one you would be surprise what jobs come up on that.
I set aside 2 hours every day to write letters knock on doors, look through Trade Me. Seek, Brick 7, Etc and a visit to the library once a week to look through the newspapers can help. I found that if I spent all day looking it got to much. So I gave myself 2 hours first thing in the morning.
Its especially difficult when your OH has a job and you are on your own all day.
Eventually you will get a job it may not seem like it now just keep plugging away.
Good luck

Last edited by bdclayton; Jun 19th 2010 at 8:58 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:06 am
Pilottinker

pilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to beholdpilottinker is a splendid one to behold

Pilottinker again. I have got a job two days a week that will cover the food for my family and get me out of the house. But the job is not satisfying but will tide me over. A new Kiwi friend is being laid off, and her OH has already lost his job, so I pointed her in the right direction to work with me. Fingers crossed for her and it will lessen my guilt of at least having something.
Old Jun 25th 2010, 9:29 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pilottinker
Pilottinker again. I have got a job two days a week that will cover the food for my family and get me out of the house. But the job is not satisfying but will tide me over. A new Kiwi friend is being laid off, and her OH has already lost his job, so I pointed her in the right direction to work with me. Fingers crossed for her and it will lessen my guilt of at least having something.
Congrats and good luck. It's easier to find another job while working

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.