Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand > NZ Update
Reload this Page >

Settling into our new rental....

Settling into our new rental....

Old Jul 13th 2010, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Settling into our new rental....

Been in our new rental in Pukekohe for 2 weeks now. The move went well and we love the area. The only drawback is we don't have broadband immediately and have been placed on a "waiting list". So we have some sort of contact with the rest of the world, they have given us free dial-up (yep thats right...dial-up....) As you can imagine, I'm pulling my hair out, its sooo slow

If anyone is in or around Pukekohe and wants to meet up for a coffee, just let me know.

We are hoping this is our last move until we buy our own place next year. Anyone have any input on how the UK housing market is going? Can't do anything until next March as we have tenants in it on a fixed term. Lets just hope our tenants want to buy it...
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all
Default Re: Settling into our new rental....

Just finished a night shift and driving home i heard on the radio that they are expecting a small fall in house prices due to the slow market

West Midlands supposed to be the worst hit
Old Jul 13th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

http://www.pwc.co.uk/pdf/ukeo_jul2010_houseprices.pdf

There ya go
Old Jul 13th 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nukiwi
Been in our new rental in Pukekohe for 2 weeks now. The move went well and we love the area. The only drawback is we don't have broadband immediately and have been placed on a "waiting list". So we have some sort of contact with the rest of the world, they have given us free dial-up (yep thats right...dial-up....) As you can imagine, I'm pulling my hair out, its sooo slow

If anyone is in or around Pukekohe and wants to meet up for a coffee, just let me know.

We are hoping this is our last move until we buy our own place next year. Anyone have any input on how the UK housing market is going? Can't do anything until next March as we have tenants in it on a fixed term. Lets just hope our tenants want to buy it...
congrats on the successful move! whats Pukekohe like?
so how are you planning to get your house sale started? (presuming the tennants dont want to buy it) will you go back to the UK first, or get the ball rollling from here? (just asking as we are in the same boat!!)
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
Ah well it is what it is....we will just keep everything crossed that it does improve before we put it on the market. Thanks for the link though, very informative
Old Jul 13th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MattandJax
congrats on the successful move! whats Pukekohe like?
so how are you planning to get your house sale started? (presuming the tennants dont want to buy it) will you go back to the UK first, or get the ball rollling from here? (just asking as we are in the same boat!!)
Pukekohe is lovely its such a great little community with most of the big stores. If I need anything I can't get, Manukau is only about 20 mins away. We love the house but the driveway is a bit of a challenge....its down quite a steep right of way. You get much more house for your money down here and that is why we are anxious to buy now. We have an agent managing our UK house so when the time comes they will deal with the sale. The best outcome all round would obviously be if our tenants buy it, we know they are very happy there but don't know their circumstances.

We did think we may go back to the UK next year for a visit but can't see it now as we need to save all we can for when we buy here but who knows. So I may not see the UK house inside again

How about you, do you have an agent managing yours?

Also hows the job going?
Old Jul 14th 2010, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Pukekohe is lovely its such a great little community with most of the big stores. If I need anything I can't get, Manukau is only about 20 mins away. We love the house but the driveway is a bit of a challenge....its down quite a steep right of way. You get much more house for your money down here and that is why we are anxious to buy now. We have an agent managing our UK house so when the time comes they will deal with the sale. The best outcome all round would obviously be if our tenants buy it, we know they are very happy there but don't know their circumstances.

We did think we may go back to the UK next year for a visit but can't see it now as we need to save all we can for when we buy here but who knows. So I may not see the UK house inside again

Also hows the job going?
yes we have an agent, but he's not the best really. not very good on keeping communications with us. does his job well otherwise, but communication is now much more important as we're so far away.
we too dont want to waste or money on holidaying back in th UK. theres so much we want to do and see from this end!
so we may try to sell whilst over here, and may be get a willing family member to oversee things.

loving the job thanks!! had my orientation 2 days this week. theres so much to learn, as the primary health system is so different here, plus the computer system, and the different equipment, drugs,etc.. but my colleagues are great, and its a nice and busy practice, so all good!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

yes we have an agent, but he's not the best really. not very good on keeping communications with us. does his job well otherwise, but communication is now much more important as we're so far away.
we too dont want to waste or money on holidaying back in th UK. theres so much we want to do and see from this end!
so we may try to sell whilst over here, and may be get a willing family member to oversee things.

loving the job thanks!! had my orientation 2 days this week. theres so much to learn, as the primary health system is so different here, plus the computer system, and the different equipment, drugs,etc.. but my colleagues are great, and its a nice and busy practice, so all good!
Our agent isn't too hot on communication either but they seem to be doing a good job. When are you thinking of selling?

Good to hear you are enjoying the job. What will you do when your family are over? I have my best friend and her family coming out in November for 6 weeks....can't wait
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Our agent isn't too hot on communication either but they seem to be doing a good job. When are you thinking of selling?

Good to hear you are enjoying the job. What will you do when your family are over? I have my best friend and her family coming out in November for 6 weeks....can't wait

they will have to entertain themselves for 2.5 days per week. the first few days theyll be a bit jet lagged anyway, and we have booked a weeks leave for their last week here, when we will be doing a bit of a tour around north island.
so they wont be alone too much. thank goodness the container arrived in time, as we now have the computer set up and PS3 etc, so they will be happy Im sure! (they are aged 21 and 14)

and Ive planned lots to do with them on my days off, so they will probably be glad of some recuperation days!

not sure about when we're selling. we both have a house to sell, so will try and do both together. hopefully when the housing market picks up, and we're 100% sure we would never want to live back in the UK.

we said we would give it at least 2 years before we make that decision anyway!
how about you?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

The only drawback is we don't have broadband immediately and have been placed on a "waiting list".
One of my rellies lives in Franklin and it took aaaages to have broadband put on (ages as in months and months )

So definitely do keep hassling them regularly. You really have to be with xtra out in the wops there unless you go for satellite or mobile internet I think.

Good Luck
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Also hows the job going?
Hi, do you both work in Auckland, thats our problem, OH wants to settle in Auckland, but if you do go a little bit out you do get more for your money.
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

they will have to entertain themselves for 2.5 days per week. the first few days theyll be a bit jet lagged anyway, and we have booked a weeks leave for their last week here, when we will be doing a bit of a tour around north island.
so they wont be alone too much. thank goodness the container arrived in time, as we now have the computer set up and PS3 etc, so they will be happy Im sure! (they are aged 21 and 14)

and Ive planned lots to do with them on my days off, so they will probably be glad of some recuperation days!

not sure about when we're selling. we both have a house to sell, so will try and do both together. hopefully when the housing market picks up, and we're 100% sure we would never want to live back in the UK.

we said we would give it at least 2 years before we make that decision anyway!
how about you?
Yeah I'm sure the first few days they will be recuperating. Plus you are close to everything in Botany. They will be fine. I bet you can't wait to have visitors. I know I can't.

Our house will go on the market Feb/Mar next year and then we play the waiting game. We have been here nearly 2 years now and know this is where we call home now. It will be strange though when the UK house does sell...no turning back then!!
Old Jul 18th 2010, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pricklykina
One of my rellies lives in Franklin and it took aaaages to have broadband put on (ages as in months and months )
I best get some colour to hide the grey....

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi, do you both work in Auckland, thats our problem, OH wants to settle in Auckland, but if you do go a little bit out you do get more for your money.
OH works in the CBD...I'm a housewife. That's why we moved further out because we hope to be buying our own house next year and we need to save more money. We have saved $130 a week on rent here. You definitely get more house for your money...

If only we had broadband it would be much better......we are working on it
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

God what a pain I am, so how long does it take your OH to commute to and from work ? And good luck with it all, just cant wait to get MY stuff
Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sue1234
God what a pain I am, so how long does it take your OH to commute to and from work ? And good luck with it all, just cant wait to get MY stuff
I'm really interested in this too, for year 1 we will be in Mission Bay but after that I think we will move out depending on cost...so am interested in commute times....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.