Dont move for your career

Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Dont move for your career

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
i sypathise, it must be very frustrating for you ... but i have to say that is my life here in the uk; i have to pay for any prof developemnt, im continuously treated like an idiot despite 20 yrs experience, senior nurses actually most qualified nurses ignore me ... and all because im an agency nurse

take the excellent advise offered here, and get out before your passion and spirit is worn down ...
Yeah i remember agency nurses saying that they had to pay for every course they did but here they expect you to pay for internal courses too. Its insane
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugo
Hey thanks again for the support, I guess i dont really care about being respected, i just want to be treated fairly. As for the grad programmes, i suppose they are a good thing, you seem to get support during your rotations and spend lots of time with the educators. However it can be a rough at times, some of the senior nurses might see you as fresh meat to play with. But you only have to spend short periods on each area so makes it good for you to find out where you would like to work.

For my situation I think the gloves are coming off and the claws are out, I've had enough of the lot of them. Handed in my drug competency, that took forever to do, I dont know which idiot wrote the thing, it was an exercise in reading policy. Anyway the educators somehow managed to loose it!!! Funny that, the thing takes for ever to find all the information. They say they remember me going to the office to hand it in but mysteriously cant find it, and seem to be trying to say I didnt hand it in. I have also noticed that I dont ask the ''senior' nurses anything, am sick of the sarcastic bitchy and nasty remarks, often its not what is said but how its said. Think my word of the day should be '"who pi**ed in your cornflakes this morning"'. I also need thinking "'sour faced bi*ch"' when i think about one of the ANUMS, im sure it shows on my face.

Wow i really do need to get out dont i :curse:
Google, horizontal violence, interesting reading.
We really need to stop the bitching in nursing...VERY unprofessional
jacqui
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by s/nurse
Google, horizontal violence, interesting reading.
We really need to stop the bitching in nursing...VERY unprofessional
jacqui
well i think im falling into being a bully, behaviour breeds behaviour. However atleast what im thinking stay in my head, what many of the nurses do here is very public. I think of one of the main people as a sour face ..... as a way of destressing. They like to intimidate and bully to get what they want, so just to keep chilled i think of how stupid they are. It helps. Just hope i dont start doing what they do to me to others.

I have read way too much about horizontal bullying and the nursing culture. My partner works in an organisation that represents hospitals they are working on a seminar on bullying in nursing. Just wish someone could find a resolution.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sugo
well i think im falling into being a bully, behaviour breeds behaviour. However atleast what im thinking stay in my head, what many of the nurses do here is very public. I think of one of the main people as a sour face ..... as a way of destressing. They like to intimidate and bully to get what they want, so just to keep chilled i think of how stupid they are. It helps. Just hope i dont start doing what they do to me to others.

I have read way too much about horizontal bullying and the nursing culture. My partner works in an organisation that represents hospitals they are working on a seminar on bullying in nursing. Just wish someone could find a resolution.
If you feel up to it, challenging their behaviour can sometimes be helpful.
I had a student who was bullied by a senior nurse, we talked and worked out some stratergies to help, eventually I supported the student when she felt able to challenge the nurse.
The nurse was crushed, she was not aware of the impact her behaviour was having. The student felt empowered.
Remember, what they are doing is WRONG, try telephoning the union, they are usually very helpful in matters such as this.
jacqui
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

You are sooo funny!!! My kind of gal!! Yes I think it's time to move on! Good Luck and never change
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Sharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the roughSharie is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sugo,
Sounds like a toxic workplace to me. It must be really tough going.
Time to move on and find something new. Hoping it all works out,
Cheers,
S
Old Mar 12th 2008, 11:13 am
Just Joined

lisamac is an unknown quantity at this point

After reading this thread I am really panicing I have worked in A&E for 5yrs and looking to move to Perth really enjoy working in resus and triage but do work in all areas. Don't know if I could take being treated as an idiot don't mind constructive critism but to short tempered to take crap and hate bullies seriously having second thoughts especially as we are dragging 17yr old kicking and screeming and he is going to have to quit his apprenticeship not worth it if we are going to be unhappy because I hate my job