Dont move for your career

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Dont move for your career

I work in Emergency in inner city Melbourne, started 6 months ago after working in New Zealand for 2 years. Im 6 years qualified and worked in emergency for 5 years. I used to work on the triage desk, resus and minor clinic regularly.

Move to Melbourne and im treated like a new grad, i expected this to a point but then they expect me to pay for a short course. The subtitle of the course says its good for nurses who havent worked in emergency before. I have to do this, then ASL to look after monitored patients, if i want to work in Resus or at triage I have to pay around 7-12 thousand dollars to do the post grad cert. I did the New Zealand version of ASL which they dont seem to accept here. Im over it and im not going to pay for courses, i would rather spend money on courses that will get me a better job else where rather than courses that benefit the dept more than it benefits me. They expect us to pay for in house courses which is insane.

It seriously sucks, to top it off I get ordered around by nurses who have 2 or 3 years experience, i get treated like an idiot, If an ambulance drops of a patient in my area and I identify that they are sick they then get moved for someone else to look after. This has happened since day one, now im getting into self fulfilling prophecy, i just dont care anymore, I dont have any drive just seem to go in and do the bare minimum for the patients then get out and go home.

Ive been there for 6 months and there are still some of the seniors who dont even say hello to me, this seriously happens to new people, if your new some of the seniors dont even speak to you. There are a few people who feel the same way, there is a joke that if you havent worke din this emergency dept then you have worked in emergency. They dont recognise previouse experience.

Im looking to get out into the community but have to wait for perm residency to come through, i was sponosred by the hospital for my 457 visa. I wish i waited to get perm residency in the first place, feel like im over a barrel with my trousers down.

long post sorry
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dont move for your career

Come to Perth and work for me...

I had similar issues... the Oz nursing/medical culture and practice is 20 years behind the uk in some areas.. And the arrogance encountered from some Australian Nurses is outstanding!

The only way to get over this one is to move UP the food chain and put yourself in the position where you CREATE the nursing culture rather than exist in it.....

DONT let it get to you and DONT let it affect your professional standards/ self esteem and for gods sake don't conform to their behaviours... I was told by uk nurses who had 'adapted' that thisas was the australian way, get over it or get out of it... so guess what I did...

There are plenty of employers out there who can take over you sponsorship and will treat you well.... go out and find one before they cripple the nurse in you.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like you work at a terrible place. It's certainly not usual to pay for in-house courses, or for senior staff not to talk to new staff. Sounds like you need to get a new job.

What is ASL?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by augigi
Sound like you work at a terrible place. It's certainly not usual to pay for in-house courses, or for senior staff not to talk to new staff. Sounds like you need to get a new job.

What is ASL?
oops sorry ASL should be ALS or ACLS. Well its been 8 months since i had to engage my brain.

Thanks for the support, i hope this isnt the usual for all of Australian hospitals, my parnter has a great job in Melbourne so we dont really want to move but i gotta get a better job.

Was even considering working in the prison ward on the hospital, its under the same hospital so should be easy to move.

Been talking to a few nurses here, many have been here for 8 yrs or so and have decided that since they dont want to pay for ALS or the post grad papers they will just work in the low acuity areas and be treated like general dog bodies. Sad really some are great nurses, Im scared if i stay i wont be able to look after sick patients anymore.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugo
oops sorry ASL should be ALS or ACLS. Well its been 8 months since i had to engage my brain.

Thanks for the support, i hope this isnt the usual for all of Australian hospitals, my parnter has a great job in Melbourne so we dont really want to move but i gotta get a better job.

Was even considering working in the prison ward on the hospital, its under the same hospital so should be easy to move.

Been talking to a few nurses here, many have been here for 8 yrs or so and have decided that since they dont want to pay for ALS or the post grad papers they will just work in the low acuity areas and be treated like general dog bodies. Sad really some are great nurses, Im scared if i stay i wont be able to look after sick patients anymore.
I could pretty well sum up your feelings and experiences exactly and I have been working in different areas/specialities. I first worked here 10 years ago - had to go back to UK then returned (but not for a career move ) and knew what was awaiting me. I reckon I work at a lower level than support workers in some countries. Like others have said get over it or get out and that is so sad. I have sort of got over it while I ''have'' to do it to earn a living (otherwise I would be insane by now) but I desperately want and need to get out of it. People say to me, oh what a shame after all those years and doing masters/nurse practitoner etc - it means nothing here.
Just want to say you have my empathy and best wishes.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Been talking to a few nurses here, many have been here for 8 yrs or so and have decided that since they dont want to pay for ALS
Usually the hospitals run the ACLS course? Certainly at places I've worked, they do. You do not need to do an external course. It is encouraged to do the crit care course to work in ICU or ED, but it's not required.

Why don't you try doing some agency work and see if you can find a better fit?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
I could pretty well sum up your feelings and experiences exactly and I have been working in different areas/specialities. I first worked here 10 years ago - had to go back to UK then returned (but not for a career move ) and knew what was awaiting me. I reckon I work at a lower level than support workers in some countries. Like others have said get over it or get out and that is so sad. I have sort of got over it while I ''have'' to do it to earn a living (otherwise I would be insane by now) but I desperately want and need to get out of it. People say to me, oh what a shame after all those years and doing masters/nurse practitoner etc - it means nothing here.
Just want to say you have my empathy and best wishes.
Ever Wondered why there is a nursing shortage in Australia?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Ever Wondered why there is a nursing shortage in Australia?
Not sure if you are agreeing with the OP/me or not - the ''smiley'' is a bit confusing

How have you coped with it?

Do you have your own business or are you in a management position with some clout?

If so, of course Aus needs nurses like you to introduce changes.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 9:58 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice

I work in Emergency in inner city Melbourne, started 6 months ago after working in New Zealand for 2 years. Im 6 years qualified and worked in emergency for 5 years. I used to work on the triage desk, resus and minor clinic regularly.

Move to Melbourne and im treated like a new grad, i expected this to a point but then they expect me to pay for a short course. The subtitle of the course says its good for nurses who havent worked in emergency before. I have to do this, then ASL to look after monitored patients, if i want to work in Resus or at triage I have to pay around 7-12 thousand dollars to do the post grad cert. I did the New Zealand version of ASL which they dont seem to accept here. Im over it and im not going to pay for courses, i would rather spend money on courses that will get me a better job else where rather than courses that benefit the dept more than it benefits me. They expect us to pay for in house courses which is insane.

It seriously sucks, to top it off I get ordered around by nurses who have 2 or 3 years experience, i get treated like an idiot, If an ambulance drops of a patient in my area and I identify that they are sick they then get moved for someone else to look after. This has happened since day one, now im getting into self fulfilling prophecy, i just dont care anymore, I dont have any drive just seem to go in and do the bare minimum for the patients then get out and go home.

Ive been there for 6 months and there are still some of the seniors who dont even say hello to me, this seriously happens to new people, if your new some of the seniors dont even speak to you. There are a few people who feel the same way, there is a joke that if you havent worke din this emergency dept then you have worked in emergency. They dont recognise previouse experience.

Im looking to get out into the community but have to wait for perm residency to come through, i was sponosred by the hospital for my 457 visa. I wish i waited to get perm residency in the first place, feel like im over a barrel with my trousers down.

long post sorry

Hi Sugo & everyone,

When I worked in NZ a few years ago I encountered some of the behaviours you describe. I was told to think of it as a "life style" move and to forget all about a career. I had thought they had employed me for my knowledge, skills, and experience, the sad truth was I was plugging a gap which they couldn't fill with home grown nurses. No matter what I recommended the service leader would over ride me and do the opposite. My experience and qualifications counted for nothing so I kept my sanity and left.

I am now working towards a new life in Oz for my family and me, and hoping it will be worth all the expense in time and money. I think I am going into this with my eyes a bit wider and ready for some of the crap you have experienced.

Unless you really really really need to stay there, get out and quickly. Just remember you are worth a lot more, which may be why you are getting the cold shoulder from the seniors.

I really do wish you all the best, and hope you find the dream job.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

purple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud ofpurple rain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
Come to Perth and work for me...

I had similar issues... the Oz nursing/medical culture and practice is 20 years behind the uk in some areas.. And the arrogance encountered from some Australian Nurses is outstanding!

The only way to get over this one is to move UP the food chain and put yourself in the position where you CREATE the nursing culture rather than exist in it.....

DONT let it get to you and DONT let it affect your professional standards/ self esteem and for gods sake don't conform to their behaviours... I was told by uk nurses who had 'adapted' that thisas was the australian way, get over it or get out of it... so guess what I did...

There are plenty of employers out there who can take over you sponsorship and will treat you well.... go out and find one before they cripple the nurse in you.
I totally agree with this poster, get out there and find an employer who will appreciate you. It would be so easy to 'go with the flow' but a lot of UK nurses have stood up and been counted. We now have jobs that can facilitate a positive change.
Good Luck
jacqui
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kitty4
Not sure if you are agreeing with the OP/me or not - the ''smiley'' is a bit confusing

How have you coped with it?

Do you have your own business or are you in a management position with some clout?

If so, of course Aus needs nurses like you to introduce changes.

Was toally agrreing with you... I would have got out too if I weren't dsupporting our family.. I wont sell out my professional values..

I have a nice little Director of Nursing post in South Perth adn I 'moonlight' in education .... unfortunately Its hard in my position too...due to the behaviours and attitudes encountered within the nursing here... We (my fantastic CNM) and I are trying to drag the place into the 20th centuary as far as nursing goes... and that starts with professional attitudes, expectations and behaviours .... Its an up hill battle when you are the top of the (dung) heap as well as at the bottom...
Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

long post sorry

yep sounds like the hosps in inner melboure, through working agency i have discovered the further out of the city the hosp is the nicer the folks are and nicer place to work, pm me which hosp your in, although i bet i can guess!!, and in my next agency there, i'll come and look to see if your on
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:35 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i sypathise, it must be very frustrating for you ... but i have to say that is my life here in the uk; i have to pay for any prof developemnt, im continuously treated like an idiot despite 20 yrs experience, senior nurses actually most qualified nurses ignore me ... and all because im an agency nurse

take the excellent advise offered here, and get out before your passion and spirit is worn down ...
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

ruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really niceruthnurse is just really nice

long post sorry
Oh no your experience sounds awful and its made me feel sad to read!

Someone with experience like yours should be given more respect. I guess you just have to continue with the attitude you have and think 'whatever', bide your time, maybe things will pick up or get out.

I am qualifying in June 2009 I guess I will be treated fairly for my experience, and hope to join a new grad programme on the Sunshine Coast. What are your views on these programmes?
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ruthnurse
Oh no your experience sounds awful and its made me feel sad to read!

Someone with experience like yours should be given more respect. I guess you just have to continue with the attitude you have and think 'whatever', bide your time, maybe things will pick up or get out.

I am qualifying in June 2009 I guess I will be treated fairly for my experience, and hope to join a new grad programme on the Sunshine Coast. What are your views on these programmes?
Hey thanks again for the support, I guess i dont really care about being respected, i just want to be treated fairly. As for the grad programmes, i suppose they are a good thing, you seem to get support during your rotations and spend lots of time with the educators. However it can be a rough at times, some of the senior nurses might see you as fresh meat to play with. But you only have to spend short periods on each area so makes it good for you to find out where you would like to work.

For my situation I think the gloves are coming off and the claws are out, I've had enough of the lot of them. Handed in my drug competency, that took forever to do, I dont know which idiot wrote the thing, it was an exercise in reading policy. Anyway the educators somehow managed to loose it!!! Funny that, the thing takes for ever to find all the information. They say they remember me going to the office to hand it in but mysteriously cant find it, and seem to be trying to say I didnt hand it in. I have also noticed that I dont ask the ''senior' nurses anything, am sick of the sarcastic bitchy and nasty remarks, often its not what is said but how its said. Think my word of the day should be '"who pi**ed in your cornflakes this morning"'. I also need thinking "'sour faced bi*ch"' when i think about one of the ANUMS, im sure it shows on my face.

Wow i really do need to get out dont i :curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.